Weird Coffee maker "issue"

Well, I checked with OXO. seems I have to jump through a lot of hoops with them. Due to the fact of how I bought it through Amazon (not through the normal "retail" channel"). So since it has a 30 day return policy I am electing to simply send it back. I then went directly to OXO's own site and guess what? I find I can repurchase one (with an OXO coffee bean canister very nice one) for nearly $100 LESS than Amazon! With free shipping to boot! So, I put in an order that way and and when I get the new one, I'll ship the old one back. Though mean time I am unsure if maybe I'll resort to the Breville until the new OXO arrives and is set up or not.
I like using the OXO because it's a little more convenient to use than the Breville because of how it "fits" on the counter next to the low overhang cabinet.

Glad its resolved! I wish Sams would carry cone filters instead of only those baskets. Only need them for a spare HB which hardly gets used
They do carry the If You Care brand cone filters. Got a huge box of them there. Funny thing too. I decided not to use the OXO this am because I've just been a little too preoccupied and yesterday scared me pretty badly as it was getting awfully damn hot.
In any case as good as the Breville is I noticed something. The coffee this AM from the Breville was noticeably lighter bodied and not as aromatic as what I was getting out of the OXO. Same coffee, same grind, same amount/ratios. I think though the OXO brews at a higher temp. Tomorrow I'll use the Breville again but a higher temp closer to OXO's temps

Last edited:
Larry -- I've been following your journey on here.

Was wondering if a french press might be your ticket to getting a tasty pot of coffee relatively quick and easy. After years of tinkering with various automatic machines, I went very low tech FP and have never looked back.

I use a 1.5 liter size -- good for making just a few cups or a whole large pot. So long as you have a good burr grinder, the coffee output is way better than I ever got from any auto machine. Very simple to do and only takes 5 minutes. Although if you want to tinker, you can play around with the FP in more complicated ways. I'm partial to the James Hoffman method myself (which takes 10 vs. 5 minutes) when I have the time.

Personally, I like my coffee chewy and so roll with just the metal screen filter. But if you like paper filtered, there's plenty of ways to do that too with a FP.

I find an FP to be much easier to produce a good coffee in volume than an aeropress or pourover.

Attachments

• coffee.jpg
    coffee.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 1
Larry -- I've been following your journey on here.

Was wondering if a french press might be your ticket to getting a tasty pot of coffee relatively quick and easy. After years of tinkering with various automatic machines, I went very low tech FP and have never looked back.

I use a 1.5 liter size -- good for making just a few cups or a whole large pot. So long as you have a good burr grinder, the coffee output is way better than I ever got from any auto machine. Very simple to do and only takes 5 minutes. Although if you want to tinker, you can play around with the FP in more complicated ways. I'm partial to the James Hoffman method myself (which takes 10 vs. 5 minutes) when I have the time.

Personally, I like my coffee chewy and so roll with just the metal screen filter. But if you like paper filtered, there's plenty of ways to do that too with a FP.

I find an FP to be much easier to produce a good coffee in volume than an aeropress or pourover.
I have one. (a small one) but I honestly don't care for using it. I can't grind coarse enough so my coffee always turns out "muddy". And I own 5 grinders so I definitely don't want to buy another for that purpose :D

Maybe you just don't like FP style coffee. For me, it is by far the best ROI bundle of all the methods I've tried -- tasty coffee (sorry auto drip machines), brewed in quantity (sorry aero-press) with a fast/easy method (sorry pour over).

I'm sure one of your grinders would be more than ok to give you a good FP grind. The coffee cognescenti (including James Hoffman) advise more of a medium grind than a very coarse one. Since the big chunks are more likely to under-extract. I grind only slightly coarser for FP than for auto drip.

And plenty of ways to reduce the muddy factor -- which is often the reason cited for going very coarse. Many next gen FPs (like the Espro) have significantly finer filtering built in. You can also easily add a paper filter to a standard Bodum type FP.

I like the taste just not the "debris?". I'm not sure how to describe it. Don't get me wrong, I think it tastes good, I even have a couple of French presses. There is just something about it. It's good but not my favorite way to enjoy. Actually espresso is top notch for me, but, I have no patience for standing over the machine for multiple cups to fill my mug :D So, "good" drip is my preferred brew. Fast, (when the brewer works right and I have good beans), it's as good as it gets (best of all worlds) for me

Back