Weekend Smoke, a fattie and spares.

Anton

TVWBB Fan
After reading Tony's "Meat for Breakfast" post about the fatties, It sparked my attention so I thought I would give it a try this weekend. Picked up a pack of spares while I was wondering through the grocery store too (as I needed more reason to fire up the WSM than just a fattie).

I was a bit hesitant about the fattie at first, then I tried it!
icon_eek.gif
It was DANG good! I had to try and control myself so I didn't eat the whole thing. I used a jimmy Dean Hot sausage, smoked it at 225-240 for 2.5 hrs, then a coat of bbq sauce and on for the final 30 min. Flavor kicks butt.

Also did some spares, are they normally more fattier than baby backs? Or does it just depend on what you buy. I've only done them once before, this time they definitely came out better, but still alot of fat on them. Maybe I need to do a better job of trimming it off?

Yes, spares do have more fat than BB's. There is really a lot around the sternum area.
I do mine for a good 7 hours, and no less than 6 for sure.
That's why I like spares more than BB's, fat equals flavor IMO while cooking, and they are cheaper also.
How long did you have the spares on?

I did the spares for about 6.5 hrs, probably could have kept em on for another hour, but I was hungry.

I've had many racks that were only on 6.5 hours. Some people have a problem with spares having more fat, but I love 'em! Now I have to go out and get 2 racks for Tuesday lol.
Four hours (roughly) to start, 45 in foil with a little apple juice sprayed on them, then another good hour and a half or so out of the foil.
If I put them in the rack and don't trim, sternum side up so that fat runs down and baste the ribs.
I always take the membrane off also.

Back