Weekend Ribs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff S.

TVWBB Fan
Last weekend I was doing some BB ribs. Was doing just under 10 lbs.
Was doing half BRITU, and the other half with a rub and sauce made from Paul Kirks book.
I bought these ribs on Wed. the 21st, and planned to smoke them Starting Sun. the 25th.
To my dissapointment, the ribs had a bad odor when I opened them at about 5:00AM Sun. morning.
The fresh date on the packages said 05/03/04.
I called Walmart which is where I got them ($3.82 per lb), and they said they sometimes have a smell thats caused from the solution put in them, but offered to take them back, or I could try them.
Well, I tried them and they were horrible.
I took them back to the store today and told them how dissapointed I was, because I had guest coming over, and had to buy some rib eyes at the last minute.
I think I had around $36.00 in the ribs, and to my surprise they gave me $71 and some change for all my troubles.
The manager was very apologetic.
Overall, I will still buy ribs from wal-mart (cheapest I can find around here in Indiana) exspecially if they are willing to take them back even after cooked.

Did they say these ribs were "enhanced" with a solution of some sort?. I always buy ribs in cyro pack at Smart and Final, so far always fresh and no abnormal smell.

Yes, the were enhanced with some type of solution.
One of the racks had alot stronger oder than the others.
I trimmed them, pulled the membranes, and rinsed them under cold water, and most of the smell was gone.
But after smoking them for approx. 6.0 hours, you could still smell it.
I think that one rack was definatley spoiled, and afer the smoking session, it tainted the other racks with that oder.
I couldnt eat them, nor feed them to my guests.
I wasnt even in the mood for ribs after that experiance, thats why I opted for the rib eye steaks.
But like I said in my original post,,, wal mart made it right by giving me a refund, and the extra cash to boot.
Next time I will check them when I get home with them, then seal them back up with my FS

Most stores are very generous in refunding money on meat with a funky odor. Unfortunately it's a hassle to find out your meat is bad when you're in the middle of cooking.

I even had a butcher at Sam's stop me from buying a Cryovac of baby back ribs when he saw the package. "Whoa, those are no good!" he said. He pointed to a tiny area of discoloration and some bubbles in the package and I gave him my thanks as I handed the package to him. Now that's service!

I got at costco a twin pack of Pork Sirloin Tip Roasts.

They were about the size of Nerf footballs. I figured I'd try them.

Well, rubbbed and grilled one up. It was like grilled ham. Not what I was expecting. So I go to the garbage can and find label. Sure enough, in teeny weeny print it said it included a 10% salt solution. (*#$&(*#&)Q(!!!

The other one was in the freezer so I tried to cook it like a pork butt. It turned out more like pulled ham. Not good.

Never buying anything enhanced or saline injected ever again.

Sometimes the dates on these cryovac packages can be mis-leading, not intentionally, but--if there is any kind of leakage, the inert gas they put inside the package gets out and you can forget about the dates.

Also, some stores label as they get the product--and their date is a local store policy. If the ribs were "fresh" to the store, there is no problem, but if they were rotated badly, the only way to tell is to look at the dates on the case they came in. That gives you a kill date for the ribs.

If your butcher is friendly, he'll let you check out his inventory, or at least take a look at the boxes that the ribs on display came in.

Dale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Henry Joe Peterson:
[qb]Never buying anything enhanced or saline injected ever again. [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>The pork is ruined by the solution, but enhanced bird is very tasty. Brining at home is basically what Butterball does at the factory. Enhanced turkey and chicken is quite good.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>The pork is ruined by the solution, but enhanced bird is very tasty. Brining at home is basically what Butterball does at the factory. Enhanced turkey and chicken is quite good. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>True enough, although I prefer to buy un-enhanced poultry and brine it myself. That way I know exactly what's going into my food.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jim N.:
[qb] <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>The pork is ruined by the solution, but enhanced bird is very tasty. Brining at home is basically what Butterball does at the factory. Enhanced turkey and chicken is quite good. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>True enough, although I prefer to buy un-enhanced poultry and brine it myself. That way I know exactly what's going into my food. [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Jason and Jim,

You guys are right. I do like a Butterball, and brined chicken is good, too. Although I don't think I've ever bought an enhanced chicken. I have brined them though with great results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back