weekend cueing

john leech jr

Ok this weekend I;m going to do some ribs and maybe a couple pork butts.
Here is my problem, wht internal temp am I looking for . Im really after a really moist pulled pork. ribs as well ?? any help would be great

John, cook your "grilling meats" like pork chops and such to whatever temp you deem safe. However, it's best to smoke your BBQ meats to TENDERNESS, as in "like buttuh", and I don't mean cold butter!

Never probed ribs for tenderness in my life, but I usually stick a probe in whichever pork butt I think will probably get done first. When it's IT reaches about 188*, then I'll check it, as well as the other ones. However, the temp gadgetry is just a help in knowing when to start checking.

You'd think that if commercial pork was standardized, ribs and pork butts would be tender at a certain temp all the time. However, even if every piece of meat is pretty standard in terms of fat and such (except for size), there are still variables that affect finished IT*, especially the cooking temp. Faster you cook, it's logical that the finished IT* is higher. Foiling during the cook also will raise the finished IT* meat reaches before getting tender.

Beware that most published estimated temps/times are on the short side if cooking on the wsm. Going by the OE dome gauge, I prefer to smoke pork butts overnight at an average of 225*, and it's about 14 hours for an average 8lb. butt. Meaty four pound or so St. Louis spares get tender for me in about 5 hours or so, cooking a little hotter, but not over 250* or so.

Hope that helps. Just get cooking and have some fun with it.

To tag on to Dave's point, you will find that a temp can sit for quiet some time at times. My last couple of butts have sat at 190 for over 30 min, and yet tenderness changed during that time. I usually start checking with a probe around that point, and when I'm satisfied with the resistance, they usually are 193-195.

The biggest thing I learned around here was the confidence in using a toothpick to judge ribs. You are looking for that butter feel. The first few times, you will wonder if what feels like butter is really it. When you check the middle of the rack and "wonder", check the end rib. That will be the butter feel, then just want until the middle is the same feel.

Once you know the feel, you will know!

BTW - Welcome to the site. Stop in and introduce yourself sometime. Since you are new, start here for some great cooking information. I promise you will be a WSM star in no time.

Welcome to the best BBQ forum on the net John.

160* is the Minimum recommended safe internal temp for pork for food safety. As Dave states in a very informative way, It's done when it's done. Cook to tender. Also, know the stall.

It will turn out great and post some pic's of your cook!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike David P:

160* is the Minimum recommended safe internal temp for pork for food safety. As Dave states in a very informative way, It's done when it's done. Cook to tender. Also, know the stall.

It will turn out great and post some pic's of your cook! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mike -- the FDA lowered the safe temperature for pork to 145. Not that a pork butt or ribs would be anything but leather at that temperature, but it would be safe. Like others said, test these cuts for tender.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jon Des.:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike David P:

It will turn out great and post some pic's of your cook! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mike -- the FDA lowered the safe temperature for pork to 145. Not that a pork butt or ribs would be anything but leather at that temperature, but it would be safe. Like others said, test these cuts for tender. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've heard about that Jon,

I was going by my Thermapen chart. The reason they lowered it is because all the USA pork is now grain fed is my understanding. I've never considered doing any rib flex or toothpick test before 160* in the past to check for done. Perhaps I should rethink it.

Have you ever had a rack done to tender at 145-150?

Thanks!

No, I really doubt ribs or butts would be edible at that temperature just because all the tough stuff doesn't have time to break down. 145 is for nicer pieces of meat that are a single muscle, like loins, chops and tenderloins.

Back