Weekend cooks

LarryR

TVWBB Diamond Member
PICTURES

I was waiting for someone to start one of these but I guess I'll TOFTT as I know these posts really are not that helpful but I know we all like seeing the pictures.

Today started off with a full list of items I wanted to accomplish as everyone is gone for the weekend I knew I could complete tasks without interruption. I even did my grilling last night thinking that today I'd be to busy to fuss; well, a few Coronas, a Kevin K. rib rub and two racks of ribs I'm in the middle of what I'm sure is going to be a FANTASTIC cook, no one here to say, "when are we going to eat" etc. Weather is beautiful (sunny and 82), Sirius 2 is blasting and the Corona is going down quite well.

I'm doing two racks of St. Louis Spares with on of Kevin's rubs over Rancher using 2:1 Apple and Oak Wine Staves. Backyard smells awesome.

So, what are YOU cooking today?

3 slabs of spares on the smoker here in Colorado. Weather is nice and cool, no wind to rob the smoker of heat. Company coming over for Mothers day dinner, 1st time in a month I've been able to fire up the WSM. Feels good to be back in the saddle. Sorry no pics.

I'm going to start two butts over a brisket this evening for an overnighter. Will also be firing up the Performer in a few minutes for a couple of Ribeyes and asparagus.

The weather is beautiful here in NorCal (Sacramento) and I have a 14 lb Brisket on the BDS. This is my first brisket on the drum smoker and I am using Kingsford Comp with Mesquite wood chunks. Looking at a 7-9 hour cook. When the briskets done I am throwing on approximately 50 ABT's to finish off the load of charcoal.
Now I am just waiting for the wife to return from the store with the beer.
icon_biggrin.gif

larry, i like the way you start off with the cervecas first. as the wifey has to help me when i cook, nothing much is going to be going on this weekend. i will be grilling up some english ribs sunday with a few veggies but thats it.

Well George that's just how I "roll" LOL. Kidding of course, I'm getting a little worried, I'm only 2:07 into my rib cook and I've downed 8 Coronas, got to slow down as I have another 4 - 5 hours of cooking to do.

Steve, good woman, picking-up the beer. I didn't want to go to the store so I "broke" into a stash the SO bought for our Smoke Day party, she bought a few cases of Corona, will just have to replace them before she gets home as she left a note saying, "DO NOT TOUCH THESE BEERS IF YOU KNOW WHAT'S GOOD FOR YOU." I'd like to think the note was for her 19 yo son but I have a feeling I know who the note was for
icon_frown.gif
. EDIT: Hmmm . . . Just got off the phone w/the SO, some how she knows about the Coronas . . . I have a feeling she visits this site, either that or she just knows me too well and that I'm to lazy to go to the store to buy beer. Foiled again . . .

Cooker is holding steady at 260 dome 234 grate, a little higher than I normally cook but I'm living on the edge today.

Pictures?

EDIT II: SO is on to me, switching to margaritas; Patron, rocks, no salt . . . there's no way this is going to end pretty . . . 5:08 p.m. cooker 250.

EDIT III: 7 hours later and I had excellent ribs, if you haven't tried this RIB RUB by Kevin K I highly recommend it. Excellent flavor. Yea Brandon, the Patron set me back a couple minutes but I bounced back.

Hope everyone's weekend cooks turned out as great as mine did. Pictures are updated.

Larry,
Sounds like a great day! Heading out to pick up 3-4 slabs of bb's and some chicken wings. Going to get them on the WSM tomorrow though.
Just watched Bobby Flay Throwdown with a woman pit master in Virginia. Challenge: Pulled pork sammies! Her pulled pork was awesome looking. 2 KCBS judges gaver her the win. I got to get some butts on next weekend!

Enjoy the rest of your Corona's!

Gary

Larry, I hope you're not planning on eating those ribs. As bad as you cook, you may as well just drink your or Pearls Coronas. Fact is they(the ribs) look pretty bad. In fact, why don't you just finish cooking them, wrap them up in some foil, throw them in a cooler and bring them over here. You know how much I hate your cooking, so you might as well let me be miserable eating them.
If my allergies weren't kicking my butt, I'd be outside burning something on the grill as well.
Good luck with your ribs and most of all with Pearl if she finds out you broke into her party stash. As a matter of fact, for a small price I think I can keep my mouth shut about it, say maybe a rack or two of those terrible looking ribs. LOL

Larry, you're drinking Corona's? I would have thought for sure you'd be drinking Miller or even your favorite beer... Shaffers

larry, not such a good idea to leave photo evidence. umm, ed, ya think a little blackmail would work here ? yumm, delivered ribs !

My older baby (he's 38) put in his order for pick up on Tuesday, ham and brisket. Also have a 7 lb chuck thawing. Good thing I'm not working until Thursday.

4 butts cooked overnite to be saved for my son's graduation party in a few weeks. I rubbed them with Wolfe's Original and cooked them over some apricot wood my neighbor gave me. I've never used Apricot before but my backyard smells amazing. I did have some fuel issues overnite as the lump burned down to almost nothing. I just added more unlit and another 1/2 chimney of lit and we are back on our way.

Bob

LOL, I like the way Larry dissapeared after mentioning the Patron
icon_smile.gif
I've never had a cook go that way
icon_biggrin.gif

I've been eating out of a hotel room for the last 4 days. I'm ready to get home and throw SOMETHING on the grill tonight, it will be nice to get home.

I really bit off more than I could chew in planning "the mother of all mother's day bbq's" and my awesome wife heaped it on by inviting a few friends (as in we had maybe 17 or so around the table). I had wanted to take photos along the way, but the weekend went hectic and, well, **it happens.

I fired up the WSM at 6am for a butt (mistake #1, dinner was at six and it was an almost 10# butt...oops, thought I had enough time). Mid morning phone call, my sister-in-law inviting us to lunchtime bbq, uh, okay, around 1:00? Great, we'll be there but need to get back home pretty quick to tend to our own 'ques. 11am I start up the offset. By noon we now are really cooking...two tri-tips, two chickens, and the aforementioned butt in the WSM, and two gorgeous big slabs of St Luis cut spares and a nice pot-o-beans on the offset. A bit later some jambalaya with shrimp and andouille sausage go down on the hot end of the offset. Cooked up some al dente slaw for pulled pork sammies and some finish glaze mop sauce for the ribs. Once the baked beans and jambalaya came off a batch of ABTs went down (my wife insisted on non-fat cream cheese in the ABTs, a bad idea which we learned from, but they all were scarfed up in short order anyway).

By some miracle it all came off pretty well. Late in the day I started having trouble keeping temps up on the WSM. Nothing at all like my first cook. I read the temps are lower after the first cook break in, but this was pretty dramatic. I used Kingsfod Comp for the first time, and probably last. The "Nature's Grilling" charcoal I used the first time is so much better and is cheaper too. Burned hotter, longer, less ash, almost like lump (which I do use in the offset). Woods were a combination of mostly apple, some hickory, and some alder.

I was scrambling at the end. I think I simply tried to do too much so I was not able to give each item the attention I would liked to have. Everything was very good, but minor things bothered me. The pork butt was slightly rushed at the end and the rest time was the victim (I like to rest butts in a cooler at least an hour after they hit 195*). The tri-tips were excellent, but not rare enough for my liking. The chicken was great. The ribs, jambalaya, and beans were all amazing (I paid the most attention to the ribs and it showed).

So, while I did not achieve the perfection I was striving for, all went off pretty smoothly and a great time, and meal, was had by all.

My lessons learned:

1. No more Kingsford Comp for me, Nature's Grilling for coals, or lump for me from here on out...

2. Don't try to do too many things at one time (this is not to say that smoking with both the WSM and the offset at the same time should be avoided, in fact I really enjoyed tending to both).

3. It really is okay if you only get some of your cook perfect as long as it is the ribs you sink your teeth into that are
icon_smile.gif

It was a fun Mother's Day!

Back