Weekend cook using the Brinkman water pan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barry McCorkle

TVWBB Super Fan
Cooked a 9 lb. shoulder picnic this weekend using my new brinkman water pan ($4 at Walmart) and the result was GREAT! Heat control was perfect as I was able to hold the temp to 225 right on the nose and maintain it using the Minion Method for starting the charcoal. A nearly full ring of charcoal with apple chunks lasted 10 12+ hours with the temp at 225 for 8 - 9 hours and 260+ for the final 3 hours.

I know for some this sounds like an easy task, but my WSM has always run hot, even when using the Minion Method.

How was the picnic? OK, but I can now say that I prefer Butts since it has less bone, gristle and fat. I also get better rub penetration on the butts so the taste without sauce is better.

SC Que

I am glad the pan worked for you and hope more people try it. Along with the increased capacity, it does provide better control of the cooker.

Old Dave

I purchased the WSM this week, and produced a brisket and a butt with marvelous results; I didn't even try the WSM pan, just started using the Brinkman pan because of all the good press on this board. An 8 hr smoke of the butt was so easy, temp of 220-250 without any fuss after the first hour of equilibration. Wonder what I should do with the WSM pan - a pot for flowers?

The remote NuTemp thermometer from Costco was also a dream.

Is there a model number or pan style that I need to be looking for... I saw this discussed in the "beginners" section, but don't recall what I am supposed to be getting... I have a Wal-Mart supercenter close, so maybe they carry the item as well...
Thanks,
Gary

went to use the charcoal pan from the old ecb and forgot that it had been drilled--guess I gotta get a new one, eh?
Buzz

Buzz, I think the water and charcoal pans for the ECB are the same. You should just be able to use the water pan from your ECB. Give it a try and let us know.

Doug W.

The water pan and charcoal pan for the ECB are not the same. The ECB's water pan is 13.5" while the charcoal pan is 15.5".

The ECB charcoal pan is used as the water pan in the slightly less cheap Gourmet charcoal smoker. I suspect this is the one that can be used in the WSM.

Since I have a Brinkmann Gourmet as well as a WSM, I tried swapping out the water pans this past weekend. I can't say there's a great improvement in temperature control, since this is an area that the WSM is already excellent in, but it did seem to take a little longer than usual before I felt the need to adjust vents. It was great not having to worry about running out of water during the overnight brisket.

Weber, are you hearing all this? Your customers are modifying your product with a competitor's (well, sort of!) components!!!

replying to larrys post of 7/5 he is definetly right that the pans are different. Opened the wsm today after being on vacation for a while and biy did I discover a moldy mess--she musta been mad at me for not using her for a couple of weeks and decided to show me what would happen if neglected--simple green and a hose works wonders
will use her more often now<BFG>
Buzz

I just bought 2 of the Brinkmann Charcoal Pans. 15 1/2". The water pans are too small.
The part # for this Charcoal Pan is supposed to be 114-0002-0, but at Wal_Mart, they are still using old part numbers. The part # on the pan said 812-0002-0.
I called Brinkmann and asked them about this. He said that they are the same pan, but Wal_Mart is using the old part numbers still. $3.96 per pan. Brinkmann wants $13.95 for the same pan at their site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back