Weekend Butts over Brisket (w/Pics)

Colbert Cannon

Did my first overnight cook on Saturday, two butts over one brisket. Started at 8pm, took off brisket in the AM, butts midday.

- minion start of Wicked Good Weekend Warrior lump with mix of pecan and apple wood
- 12 hours on the brisket, 18 on the butts (butts were not completely thawed out when started)
- cooked brisket to 185 and butts to 190
- Midnight Brisket rub on brisket (felt appropriate) and Southern Succor on the butts

Very pleased with my WSM - woke up with the temperature pegged at 245 where it was when I went to sleep. Butts tasted amazing, but brisket was a little dry - it was just the flat, and I didn't mop, so maybe that was the issue, but still pretty tasty.

And finally, a big thank you to all who provide advice on this site - invaluable assistance throughout these forums, and nice to get my first overnight under my belt.

Rubbed and ready to go

1.jpg

starting up for minion method

2.jpg

sliced brisket

4.jpg

two butts after resting

5.jpg

after pulling

6.jpg

leftovers heading to the freezer

7.jpg

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Colbert Cannon:
Very pleased with my WSM - woke up with the temperature pegged at 245 where it was when I went to sleep. Butts tasted amazing, but brisket was a little dry - it was just the flat, and I didn't mop, so maybe that was the issue, but still pretty tasty.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The brisket doesn't look dry at all from the pic's. But if you still think so, mail me a slice or 10 and I'll let you know for sure!

I agree....I've been cooking on WSM's for a long time and done alot of overnighters and they STILL AMAZE me at how great and simple they are to operate and hold temps better than ANY cooker I've ever owned.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Colbert Cannon:
having issues posting inline pics, but if you click on any of the links the album comes up. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Click on the link in Photobucket that says 'IMG CODE'

that did it Larry, thanks.

Brisket was good, just not as good as the pulled pork - I had also had it frozen for a couple months so that might have impacted it.

Colbert,

Food looks great !!!!

Maybe a stupid question, did you have water in the pan or was it empty ?

I've been doing most of my shorter cooks, even low temp without water, just the foil lined pan.

I'm a little shakey about going, 18 hs with no water in the pan ?

Thanks

Thanks guys. John, to answer your question re water - I have the modified larger water pan (the brinkmann charcoal) which I filled at the beginning.

It ran out probably in the last 2-3 hours of the cook, temps ran up to high 200s which at that point I always think is fine, especially for the butts only at that point (brisket had been pulled).

Back