Wednesday Morning Smoke w. Pics

Bob Porter

TVWBB Member
This summer has been fantastic. While I considered purchasing a smoker last summer, I killed the idea. But I caught the bug earlier this summer and have been having a blast. I went from having a POC Char-Broil gasser that is rusted, half the burner is out, the vaporizer bar has . . . ummm . . . vaporized, etc. to a WSM and an OTG. Life is good.

Being a public school teacher, I am not confined to weekend cooks right now (although that is quickly coming to an end).

Anyhow, I put on two butts last night at 10:20. Eleven and a half hours later they're still going. It is like a fall day out and the coolness and the breeze have affected things a bit. I have plateaued at 165.

The WSM is holding temps much better than my earlier cooks. Essentially it's been bet. 225 and 250, although I had a spike about two hours in to 300. I always seem to have that spike.
icon_frown.gif
Other than that things have been running smoothly.

The bone does not wiggle and I recently checked the temps with an instant read just to double-check. Using the Renowned Mr. Brown. A little piece just happened to break loose on the turn. Nice and peppery. I am looking forward to these.

Summers are good. More photographs to follow.

butts.jpg

Funny because I was thinking of smoking something today too. The weather here in NYC is Octoberish, expected high is 79 degrees with a nice mild wind. I don`t stop smoking because summer is over, as far as I`m concerned, smoking and BBQing is the only way to cook so... its an year round thing for me.

Fourteen hours in and still holding at 170. For the past five hours I have been 165 to 170. I have basted, checked with various thermometers, etc.

It goes to show each cook is different. Meat is beginning to loosen up a bit on the last check.

I actually had to re-fuel. I need to re up on this. This is the first time I have had to do that. What is the best way to actually get hot briqs into the WSM?

Almost 16 hours in I just pulled the smaller of the two butts, wrapped it, and placed it in the cooler. The larger one is at 183. The little bit of bark I stole is excellent.
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I actually had to re-fuel. I need to re up on this. This is the first time I have had to do that. What is the best way to actually get hot briqs into the WSM? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Bob- Glad to hear things are coming along. Remember last Thursday we had those storms? Well I was in the middle of a smoke when the skies ripped open. Not sure what happened but water must have gotten in because my fuel just died on me.

I had to reload an entire chimney starter and throw unlit charcoal in first and then threw the lit ones on top. The old charcoal was still in but I`m pretty sure it was all moist so I just let it stay but damn, the weather can really affect a smoke. You have to stay on top of it when the conditions are not ideal.

However, with all that effort, the pork shoulder was heaven.

Bob,
Every time you baste and check, baste and check, every time you lift the lid you add 15 minutes or so to the cook time. I avoid all that and leave the lid on. Pork is plenty fatty so drying out isn't a concern with butts. IMO, basting doesn't add anything to the butts, but some will differ. Anyway, if the sample tasted good, the butts will taste good. Enjoy

The smoke is done. At 16.5 hours, the larger butt came off. This is the longest cook I've done. It's the first time I've done two butts at once, although everything I've read indicates that shouldn't lengthen the cook. It was cool last evening and this morning. I am pretty certain that along with some wind bursts is what lengthened this cook.

The butts look nice. The little sampling has been good.
icon_smile.gif

I basted twice and checked the temps with a instant read both times and once again when I pulled the smaller butt off. The Maverick appears to be accurate. The thermometer in the lid is measuring 30-40° cooler and has done so since I got the WSM. I have not read others getting cooler readings at the lid. Oh well . . .

This was the first time I re-loaded fuel. Temps dropped this morning. Stirring kicked up the temps, but it appeared there was not much fuel there. There was just a small piece of smoke wood left. I did not add more wood, only briqs and only about 20 or so. The sun eventually came out and things were fine.

The WSM held temps more consistently this time out although I still had the spike to 300+ about two hours or so in. I don't understand why that happens. I buried more of the smoke wood this time so not to have it all burning from the get-go.

After the spike, temps held well. I am feeling more confident with this.

While I thought this may be lunch today, timing will be just fine for a nice dinner. We have brand new neighbors who just moved in across the street. I suspect we'll deliver a little for them to welcome them to the neighborhood.

Wife is already talking about smoking some more butts for the weekend for company. Finally, a hobby she is onboard with!
icon_smile.gif

08-08-20-01.jpg

after the turn and first baste

08-08-20-02.jpg

My little guy is asleep right now, but he likes looking out the window at the smoker.

08-08-20-04.jpg

right b4 the little butt was pulled off

More when they're pulled.

Hey Bob-
One shoulder averages 16 hours for me. The last time I did two, it took about 20 hours. I go by the meat thermometer though and let hit 185, then I`ll remove the shoulders, wrap them in foil for 30-45 minutes before shredding.

Looks like your son is going to enjoy BBQ too. My kids love to watch as well.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob Porter:
08-08-20-02.jpg

My little guy is asleep right now, but he likes looking out the window at the smoker. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That's my kinda Dad, getting those youngsters to understand the 'que at an early age...he'll be ready to start the coals before long!
icon_wink.gif

I bet he's telling himself how much nicer the WSM is than that big 'ol gasser in the background!
icon_biggrin.gif

Bob, it's really a pleasure to see someone else that is enjoying the fruits of the WSM. It's even sweeter that your whole family is involved with you on this. The more you cook on it the more you will expand your knowledge and the number of things and ways that you will be cooking. The only drawback I have noticed in my first full year of smoking is my belt doesn't quite fit like it did a year ago. I haven't been able to figure that one out though.

It was evident when I pulled the pork that this was the moistest pork I have smoked to date. The bark was nice and peppery, but not quite as crusty as the first Mr. Brown I smoked.

Both butts were equally tender. Lots of it was packaged for the neighbors. Lots of pats on the back too.
icon_smile.gif

I was very happy with this smoke. I think the WSM is seasoned and settling in to a comfort area.

08-08-20-07.jpg

08-08-20-08.jpg

08-08-20-09.jpg

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I was very happy with this smoke. I think the WSM is seasoned and settling in to a comfort area.

08-08-20-07.jpg

08-08-20-08.jpg
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now, if I could just reach into my computer monitor and get me some.

Bob,
Thanks for the photos! Reminds me of my wee man, he must be about 2?
icon_cool.gif

Judging by the size of those butts after cooking (in comparison to the wsm) 16 hours is probably just right @ 225ish. What were they 8-9 pounders to start?

I wonder if your repeated 300* temp spikes may be do to the fact that you are burrying smoke wood? Some have said that the wood can actually catch fire when burried, which would cause a temp spike. I haven't experienced this myself, but I've seen it mentioned in other posts. Maybe next cook you could try to leave the burried wood out, in exchange for just using larger pieces to start? Hope this helps.

As for the pats on the back, get used to it, and you might want to ask for a size bigger pants for christmas
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brandon A:
Thanks for the photos! Reminds me of my wee man, he must be about 2? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>18 months.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brandon A:
Judging by the size of those butts after cooking (in comparison to the wsm) 16 hours is probably just right @ 225ish. What were they 8-9 pounders to start? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>It was 15.06 lbs. for the package. One was larger than the other. 9 for one 6 for the other. Perhaps 8.5 and 6.5.

I wonder if your repeated 300* temp spikes may be do to the fact that you are burrying smoke wood? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>This is the first time I buried the wood. Previously, it sat on top. I thought perhaps it was catching fire from the get-go and getting too hot. That is why I buried thinking it would be later in the cook b4 it burned.

It could be that the smoker is still new. Other than the spike, the WSM held temps much better for me.

Thanks for the help and the kind words. Eating has been good this summer.

For what its worth, I too have tried to mix my smoke wood throughout the coals in an attempt to "pace" the smoking. I'm not sure if it's sucessful but if i could get my hands on larger chunks I'd prefer to go that route as I do find that when I check on my coals often all the wood has ignited despite it's location.

Especailly with Butt's, I don't think a spike to 300 really has any appreciable effect. In fact, you mention the bark from a previous butt being better.... well that could have been a temp spike causing more carmelization of the sugar in your rub.

Looks delicious.... I just wish I could bring my wife around a bit more. I think she's just not that fond of pork.... which means it's time to learn brisket!! haha

Back