WEBR reports sales and plans with Q3 results

Lowe’s said its results lagged due to its higher share from the do-it-yourself cohort, which makes up 75% of its customer base. Professionals, such as contractors and electricians, tend to spend more per trip. Lowe’s said sales rose 13% to its professional customers.

Home Depot has a more even split between the two subsets, and professionals are driving sharp increases in large purchases. Home Depot said it logged a 11.6% increase in transactions that were over $1,000.

Like Home Depot, Lowe’s said sales to professional customers shot up during the quarter, rising 13%, suggesting that consumers’ appetite for major home-improvement projects remains elevated even as the pandemic retreats and high inflation dampens consumer spending. Home Depot executives said elevated home values are still prompting homeowners to shell out for renovations.

It's too bad it only lasted 16 years. My Toro lawnmower is 26 years old and still works great! I do have a Honda string trimmer though, it's only 20 years old. It's not running that great right now because I think it needs a new carburetor. I'll order a new one and fix it myself. I try not to pay people to do things I can do myself, it has saved me tremendous amounts of money over the years. I also recently finished remodeling my master bathroom. I took it down to the studs and replaced everything. I'm sure I saved at least $15,000 by doing it myself. I'm not a tradesman, just someone who has a family and a lot of bills to pay, and it's not getting any easier.
Steve, I haven't seen your house, so take this for whatever it might be worth.

My Echo string trimmer died a couple of years back after I used it a lot at my church (approx. 5 acres). A new carburetor didn't fix it. I bought a DeWalt string trimmer that shares batteries with my other stuff. I transferred my old head to the new trimmer. I can still get parts/service for the head at the local small engine shop. No more carburetor problems. Quiet. Works better than ever.

Yeah I have one with the blade clutch. I bought it from a landscaper. It had issues with the rear drive (only one wheel working and not pulling back). I did a little "mod" to the rear axle using roll pins instead to "C" clips, and cleaned the one way clutches in the wheels, lubed and off it went. Cool little mower even has a miniature hydrostatic transmission of all things

Hopefully Weber can ride this out.

Probably would have been better if it was still family owned, the current controlling BDT will do whatever is necessary to minimize its losses.

Last edited:
Steve, I haven't seen your house, so take this for whatever it might be worth.

My Echo string trimmer died a couple of years back after I used it a lot at my church (approx. 5 acres). A new carburetor didn't fix it. I bought a DeWalt string trimmer that shares batteries with my other stuff. I transferred my old head to the new trimmer. I can still get parts/service for the head at the local small engine shop. No more carburetor problems. Quiet. Works better than ever.
That's my backup plan. All my stuff is Ryobi and they do offer a few different options. If the new one would take an echo speed feed head it would be a perfect solution.

• Popular Grill maker Weber Inc. (NYSE:WEBR) soared 14% after a report that the company received a takeover approach from a private equity firm.
  • Weber is said to have hired Centerview to review its options following the bid, according to aStreet Insider report, that cited one unidentified source.
  • Weber (WEBR) shares have plunged 46% since the grill maker went public last August. Weber in July announced the departure of its CEOand the installation of Chief Technology Officer Alan Matula as interim CEO. The company also withdrew its full year sales and earnings guidance after reporting slowing preliminary sales.
  • Shares of competitor Traeger (COOK) rose 2% likely in sympathy with the Weber (WEBR) takeover speculation.
  • Weber (WEBR) short interest is 49%.

Sad state of affairs IMO. Even more outsourcing and likely severe cutbacks. Pretty soon (sadly) it will just be a "name"

Yup

This comment from that article say it all…View attachment 60972
That’s got to be one of the dumbest comments I’ve seen in eons. A Weber grill will still outlast the hecho en chine garbage. And there’s warranty and service behind Weber products. I hope that OP enjoys the extra lead dosing they’re getting with every bite.

Last edited:
That’s got to be one of the dumbest comments I’ve seen in eons. A Weber grill will stall outlast the hecho en chine garbage. And there’s warranty and service behind Weber products. I hope that OP enjoys the extra lead dosing they’re getting with every bite.
Confucius says, it’s better to buy a good quality $800 grill than (4) $200 poor quality grills (paraphrasing of course)…lol

That’s got to be one of the dumbest comments I’ve seen in eons. A Weber grill will still outlast the hecho en chine garbage. And there’s warranty and service behind Weber products. I hope that OP enjoys the extra lead dosing they’re getting with every bite.
Recent performance of people rebuilding does not seem to bare it out

Note how many people are indicating rust out of the cabinets. Frankly if you bought a CharBroil and babied it like some do the new Weber it would last just fine. Thing is your mentality changes when you buy something cheap. You automatically view it as a throwaway item and treat it as such. Look what happens if you get a "beater" car. Most will do only the basic to keep it going for the time they need it. Anything else? Junk it. Beater grills are the same way

Note how many people are indicating rust out of the cabinets. Frankly if you bought a CharBroil and babied it like some do the new Weber it would last just fine. Thing is your mentality changes when you buy something cheap. You automatically view it as a throwaway item and treat it as such. Look what happens if you get a "beater" car. Most will do only the basic to keep it going for the time they need it. Anything else? Junk it. Beater grills are the same way
Interesting statement that got me thinking. I am not sure if it is the cost of the item or the mentality of the person. I would argue that there are people that spend mega $$ on things and don't take care of them, and people who buy inexpensive things that do take care of them.

Interesting statement that got me thinking. I am not sure if it is the cost of the item or the mentality of the person. I would argue that there are people that spend mega $$ on things and don't take care of them, and people who buy inexpensive things that do take care of them.
My experience is a rich person who spends (what we'd call a fortune) on something will treat it as a throwaway. I used to see that mentality a lot all the way back to when I first became a Cadillac tech back in the 60s. It would break my heart how badly those vehicles were punished. And face it we've all had "beaters with heaters". Yeah you keep it running but beyond that? Any cheaper consumer item is pretty much the same thing. Also as enthusiasts many here lavish a lot of love on the hunks of steel on our decks Though some of you would chastise me if you looked at my Genesis right now :unsure: It's not looking all that "loved". But that's because my refurbitis was in Kubota mode and lately in a lot of mixer modes. I'm figuring next spring the Genesis will be getting some love if I can get get the welder I know to weld in a new frame piece for me

Back