Weber's New WSM Grommet

G Savrnoch

TVWBB Super Fan
Has anyone got one of these new rubber grommets and tried to retrofit install it into an older WSM? Just curious as I just bought my 18.5" and at some point will be doing a probe wire mod. Thanks.

DIY grommet

Here is what I used-

Rubber Grommet H#884627, Lowes carries this in the hardware department $2
13 hole Step Drill Bit, Home Depot or Lowes have these for $20
3/8" Drill - variable as you will drill at slow speed
A drop of oil

Here is what I did-

Carefully drill the hole to 3/8" using a step drill bit from the inside of the smoker.
Drill at slow speeds and wet the bit/hole with oil. I used vegetable oil to keep the bit from overheating.

A step drill bit is awesome and can drill a perfect hole without binding or making a nasty shredded metal mess.
The pros use these to drill through steel all the time.
Just start drilling and stop at each step until you get to the preferred hole size.

Carefully clean around the hole.
Insert the Grommet.
Insert probes one at a time. (I have Maverick food/grill probes)
The grommet will stretch a little as you carefully force the probes through. Can fit up to 4 probes max.

Here are photos https://drive.google.com/?authuser=0#folders/0B4SAUCvd9Bh5UFVCR29qMHphNU0

Just DIY...

If you got just the silicone insert, you'll need a hole saw to cut the hole to fit it, but that would be about all you'd need to do. Out of the box, the silicone insert is separate and there's just a hole in the side of the WSM.

I think it would be a fantastic mod to do to an older WSM without the grommet.

Thanks guys. I managed to get an actual Weber grommet and I'm just kicking around ideas on the best way to proceed. The notch looks supper easy - with my grinder and metal blade that would be done in less than 30 seconds.

Oh and I guess to add--I have a new 22" with the grommet, and I'll be cutting a notch for the meat probe(s) on the top shelf.

The grommet is fantastic for the pit temp probe though, especially with the shorter hybrid probes from the ET-733. They poke right into the little + shaped opening.

Ok- so I have a mix of tools such as a recip, router, cutout, grinder, dremel and of course drill. I realize that I could use any one of these to cut the notch. But what I'm wondering is what would be the easiest while causing the least amount of tear-out of the exterior enamel? I'm thinking the grinder but I'm not sure what type of wheel to use on it. Getting the right bit, blade or wheel is not a problem.

I've seen some of the handy work in the pics and they all look very good so I'm really interested in the different techniques given the different tools that I have. I'm thinking the recip is the least preferred method.

Thanks for the help!

**Edit**
Disregard- I followed the links ^^^^^^^and found the answers that I am looking for- I'm gong to go with the angle grinder and my 1/4" grinning wheel that I have. Thanks to all in this forum for sharing all their techniques, opinions, tricks, and tips! How did they ever use to do this in the old days? Oh, right… they didn't. Forums like this explain why BBQing has gotten so popular…

Last edited:

Back