Weber's Gourmet System out of the box

I can visualize the card now; Merry Christmas,to me,from me.
icon_biggrin.gif
. Thanks guys.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Rudman:
I can visualize the card now; Merry Christmas,to me,from me.
icon_biggrin.gif
. Thanks guys. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm sure you will be very "grate"-ful for your own generosity.
icon_wink.gif

OK. One more set of pictures. I got a chance to use the CI grill grate today. It worked great.

Cookin'
imagemaq.jpg

By null at 2010-11-30

Close up.
imaged01.jpg

By null at 2010-11-30

Sear marks. These were fine but they could/will be better in the future. The fire wasn't very hot and I didn't really give the CI enough time to heat up like I would have liked. That's why the burgers in the back are seared so much better than the ones in the front. The fire was hotter on the other side.

imagedng0.jpg

By null at 2010-11-30

This set up got me actually thinking more about my grate management while cooking. I used to separate the grill in half with a fire brick, charcoal bin (or nothing) and just dump the coals on one side...probably because that's how I smoke meat. I kinda like keeping the idea of a hot section in the middle and using the outside as cooler zone for other things...

...like toasting buns!

imagemhw.jpg

By null at 2010-11-30

Finished product.

imagepuc.jpg

By null at 2010-11-30

As a point of reference, these were 6 oz (raw) burger. 6 burgers fit easily and 7 could probably fit as well without touching. Any more than that and you'll have to grill in shifts, use the outside (non-cast iron) grate, or make smaller burgers.

I posted these pics because I REALLY like seeing new products in action before I buy. I'm hoping this will help somebody else. Now that I've used all of pieces, I'm absolutely in love. I can totally see these being one of the products I'll look back on and wonder how I ever got a long with it…kinda like how I feel about my Performer now.

I hope this helps somebody else who is contemplating this.

One more thing I forgot to mention. The standard metal wire insert works as a great trivot when looking for a place to set down a heavy hot wok or griddle. Very convenient.

I'll throw in my two cents:

I love the idea of the grate for wok cooking. But the accessories seem kind of unnecessary.

woks are traditionally steel and work best when made with steel. Its designed to be a highly responsive pan and it needs to get hot and cool quickly with zone heating. I'd say to save your money and buy a cheap steel wok, burn off the wooden handles, and get it properly seasoned.

The pan seems plain silly. I've seen Don cook with a pan on his kettle a 100 times and he didn't use a grate with a hole. Sliding a pan on the grate will make the HH zone instantly usable, rather than having to pop the pan out and a grate in.

The CI grate is a cool idea but I hate the design. Say you want to make diamond grill marks, you only get one flip. If they simply made parallel bars (like the normal grate), you could do the standard flip with 60* turn and get to flip 3 times. Flipping is important to creating even doneness and for developing a good crust (I go with Harold McGee's advice to flip every 60 secs). Sure, I like to see good grill marks but not at the detriment to other characteristics of a good steak.

They prices seems reasonable though. And I'm sure the current users can point out some benefits that I'm missing. Its just my opinion at first glance, from afar.

J,
Good points. Especially about the CI verses steel wok; however, there are a lot of CI woks out there sold by other companies so it's not like Weber is the only company to go that route.

Regarding your other points, the pan doesn't have to sit in the hole. You can put it anywhere you want. The hole is just an option that allows you to use the pan without it sliding around.

Regarding the CI grate design, if I had a choice I would have designed the CI grate differently, but that's just a matter of preference. It obviously doesn't work with how you cook your steaks but doesn't interfere with how I cook mine, so I've got no real complaints there. Plus, being able to cook on a cast iron grate that stays in one place and isn't too expensive is nice.

I think the only benefits you might not be seeing "from afar" (as you put it) is it's really nice being able to reach the entire fire grate with out removing the cooking grate. Also, the wire grate itself is a beast. Really heavy duty. For those 2 reasons, I'd totally recommend the basic great over the standard if someone is thinking of replacing a worn out stock grate...even if they don't plan on getting the other parts.

What Justin said, and my 2 cents:

The griddle is great for me since I will not subject my 3rd generation, well seasoned, CI skillets to the environment of a grill.
The 11.5 inch dia. size is nice too, and no long handle to deal with.

Since I use char-baskets on my Performer, most of the time, the center opening and flip sides are wonderful.

I also flip steaks more than most 'grillmeisters' recommend, but I cook them indirect either before or after the sear.
IMO it's pretty hard to beat a skillet cooked steak due to the crust formed from all that direct contact, and this grate gives a lot of surface contact.
I'm not into making grill marks just for their looks.

man, i hate to be the negative one but this system does very little for me. i may get the grate itself, maybe not, but thats it. to bad its not ss. the wok, the pan and the ci grate are almost not needed. well, unless you just gotta have the stuff. i prefer using a steel wok, the ci grate i can use off another grill that has much more space and the pan, well, any pan/skillet on the grate will do the same thing. most of that stuff you already have. that being sayed i applaud weber for doing this.

Re: Chris's post. If you go to the Danish Weber site and download their product catalog, you'll see that Weber-Denmark has at least twice as many products as the American company--grills, knives, grinders, salad tongs, bowls, etc. The knives look like those made by Global, a big cutlery manufacturer. In fact, you look at his and wonder if Weber is a Danish company!

Gary

Merry Christmas to all!
My daughter got me the Gourmet grille and wok for Xmas. Jsut opened it about an hour ago. Seems real nice. Any special recipes out there for usung it? I do wok cooking in the house so I guess it's about the same. Any tips and do's and don't for this thing? It will be nice to wok cook outdoors,especially in the summer. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Any other's get this for Xmas?

Pat,
My only suggestion is don't use too much charcoal when using the griddle and/or the wok. It's the only way to keep the temps down with the lid off. That's probably a "Well duh" thing but I didn't realize it.

Now I use just enough coal to fill in one layer of coals in the bottom of the charcoal bins. Works great.

Merry Christmas. Have fun with your new toys.

Needed to replace the grates on my '03 Performer, so I got the gourmet grate system. The griddle/grate and wok/grate combos weren't available on Amazon right now. I figured that meant they didn't have any griddles, but after I placed my order realized you can buy them individually.

Weber isn't selling them on their site at all "due to high demand".

I will probably pickup the wok & griddle later, I really wanted to get this for the thicker grate diameter.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris Allingham:
A guy named Mike L. sent me a link to a Danish video showing the use of the Gourmet System, or at least part of it. The audio makes no sense, but you can see the equipment in action.

http://bbqtv.23video.com/video...-gryde-paprika-gryde

Regards,
Chris </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

great link - amazed that he used such a short set of tongs.- thanks Chris.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris Allingham:
A guy named Mike L. sent me a link to a Danish video showing the use of the Gourmet System, or at least part of it. The audio makes no sense, but you can see the equipment in action. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Looked good till he added the Yak milk.

Back