***Weber Unicorn Alert*** SS Platinum Conversion from Shallow to Deep Box

Nope, the sheets were only 24" wide so they don't reach all the way to the top. It has plenty of venting as you can see in the photo below, but vents are not real important to prevent moisture build up as there is really nothing to rust. I did drill some holes in the bottom panel to allow drainage of water that does make it inside.

20230305_134955.jpg

Wow that is great! I am thinking you used stainless steel rivets. Any discoloration of the aluminum sheets over time?

No, no real discoloration. Some scuffs and stuff maybe and a few grease smears. The aluminum is showing no signs of oxidizing or anything and is still quite shiny. To clean it, I just take everything out of it and pressure wash the inside and outside of the cabinet....well, I pretty much do that to the cook box as well. I let it drain off and leave it outside and open to dry and then reload everything in it and get back to grilling.

The rivets I used are aluminum. Again, totally rust proof. The bigger fasteners you see on the back of the cabinet are the original 1/4" SS bolts that hold the frame pieces together.

Well, two reasons really. First and foremost, since I had to modify the frame slightly to be able to use the 13 bar deep box, it was no longer a big enough space to hold the side burner. Second, while it seems like a cool thing at first, it takes away from counter space that I covet even with the left side table and two flip tables. Third, I find the side burners to be less than effective due to wind. If it is at all windy out, the side burners loose a lot of their heating capabilities.
I could further mod the frame to accommodate a side burner if I really wanted to. It wouldn't be that big of a deal.

Bruce,
When you previously had that wire rack. Did it fit the oem genesis frame or only because you modified it. Reason I ask because I picked up one.

What I mean is I know you put cross members but was that all?

Last edited:

Back