Weber Starter

Bob T.

TVWBB Wizard
I have been using the "off" brand starter for a long time. Broke down and bought the Weber starter, and like it a lot better. I know it held more, but it seems to light all the fuel a lot faster also. Glad I broke down and bought it!

I just bought one as well recently and love it. I have grilled for many years and never used a chimney starter until I purchased my WSM recently. I am totally hooked and the charcoal lights so easy and quick now. No messing with the cost or the smell of lighter fluid! I don't have any others to compare it too, but the Weber one is wonderful.

I have the Weber model but only after checking out several of the off-brands. I found that the off-brands do not provide as many vents for air to circulate throughout the chimney. While I have never tried one of the off-brands, I don't see how they can work nearly as well as the Weber just based on that item.

I would be interested in hearing from someone who has a non-Weber starter too.

Tony

I too have one of the off brands. I couldn't refuse the price of $7.99. I've had it about 6 months and have noticed that it does take a while for a chimney to fully light (about 20-30 minutes), this is even over my gas side burner on my gasser.

The outside is beginning to rust a bit. The handle burnt off when I placed the chimney over coals while I waited for it to come up to temp--my stupid mistake. I replaced the wooden handle with part of a wooden broom handle.

I will spring for a Weber before next season is in full swing. Amazon has a pretty decent price.

I have both the Weber and the Charbroil Chimney. The Weber holds about half again as much as the Charbroil and is perfect for filling the charcoal baskets in my Weber Platinum but I find myself using the Charbroil exclusively when cooking on my WSM using the Minion Method. The diameter of the chamber is smaller and that allows me to stack the coals higher above a single Weber Starter Cube than I can using the Weber. I use both when cooking at higher temps (325 - 350º) for poultry though.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Take a tip from Alton Brown and place a few drops of vegtable oil on 2 sheets of newspaper and use that for lighting your charcoal in the chimney. It works great and is cheaper than using the weber cubes. less than a tablespoon of oil is all that is needed.

I've done that and don't care for the ash from the newspaper. Besides, the cubes aren't very expensive.
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Michael Plunkett:
Take a tip from Alton Brown and place a few drops of vegtable oil on 2 sheets of newspaper and use that for lighting your charcoal in the chimney. It works great and is cheaper than using the weber cubes. less than a tablespoon of oil is all that is needed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've used the oil method on 3 paper towels. It leaves less of a mess than the newspapers. If I'm not feeling lazy, I still use the side burner of the grill to do a full load.

My method is a ball of two paper towels and a close-range, 2-second blast of PAM.

I love the side burner method. Since seeing that here and trying it I've never used another way to light my charcoal. Clean, less smoke and paper flying around and I think it lights faster.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Doug D:
My method is a ball of two paper towels and a close-range, 2-second blast of PAM. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Doug, that is what I do as well; in fact, I think I got that idea from you on another thread - great idea and it works very well.

Tony

Bill, what are the "cubes" you reference that you use instead of paper? I don't think I know what they are. Thanks. Steve

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Zeitz:
Bill, what are the "cubes" you reference that you use instead of paper? I don't think I know what they are. Thanks. Steve </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
firestarters.jpg

They are Paraffin cubes. Scroll to the bottom of this page for more information and alternatives.
icon_smile.gif
Alternatives to Newspaper

Thanks Bill! Believe it or not I did read some of that article before I bought the starter. I just didn't get past the paper recommendation. I appreciate your help.

Steve

No mess like paper and cheaper then cubes (and just as easy to use) are fireplace log starters (wax and sawdust). Obviously, you don't use the whole thing, but cut or break off a piece each time you want to fire up the starter. I find these things on sale for $0.99 all the time. I get at least 20 uses out of a 8"x3" block, and there are three in the package.

How about Steven Raichlen's Ultimate Chimney Starter?

According to his website store, this thing holds 7 lbs of charcoal. Probably too much for the WSM but for kettle grilling, it might be nice to have.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by J Lund:
How about Steven Raichlen's Ultimate Chimney Starter?

According to his website store, this thing holds 7 lbs of charcoal. Probably too much for the WSM but for kettle grilling, it might be nice to have. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>It does look good, but $30 for a chimney?
icon_eek.gif
http://www.barbecuebible.com/store/cool_tools.php I remember making one from a coffee can
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cory Musser:
I love the side burner method. Since seeing that here and trying it I've never used another way to light my charcoal. Clean, less smoke and paper flying around and I think it lights faster. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I also use the sideburner on my gasser - wonder if I can use the gas ignition on my Performer to light the chimney for my WSM or Smokey Joe??
icon_confused.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Doug D:
My method is a ball of two paper towels and a close-range, 2-second blast of PAM. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I second that. I use two paper towels and spray them with veggie oil from my pump up sprayer.

It's smokes a little at first (black smoke for some reason), but there is almost nothing left. No comparision to using straight newspaper.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rich langer:
It does look good, but $30 for a chimney?
icon_eek.gif
http://www.barbecuebible.com/store/cool_tools.php
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
If you live in an area that has Academy Sports and Outdoor stores, they sell one that holds 10 pounds (maybe more according to the volume the one on Raichlen's site quotes)-- I estimate it holds 763 cu. in.-- and it's under $13. It has a heavy expanded metal grate, and a coiled metal heat protective handle like you see on the big BBQ rigs.

Cory thanks for the side burner tip. I just tried it tonight and I am not going back to the starter cubes. That is if I am around the gasser. I don't always smoke at home.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Back