weber starter cubes

Status
Not open for further replies.

guy

TVWBB Fan
Couple of saturdays past the local Ace Hardware had the Weber Starter Cube packages of 24 for $2.98 each. This was "fill a sack of merchandise" day and get 20% off. Naturally I got several to stock up.
You might check your local Ace and see if any more left.

guy

I like them too- dont like the packaging much...always get a few crumbs when I am extracting the cube, dont like to have flammable crumbs around, but maybe I am opening it wrong

I also like them, started using them this year, much cleaner than newspaper. I will check Ace to see if a sale is on. I also have a crumb problem with them, I open them over the chimmy I'm going to light, one in a little piece of foil that I reuse.

Have you all tried the paper towel and vegetable oil trick? Load up a chimney with the amount of briq's you need. Grab a couple of paper towels and scrunch them up into a ball, pour a little vegetable oil on it and place it under the chimney and light. The oil will provide enough flame to catch the briq's and there will be no mess like there is with newspaper.

I also use Weber's Cubes... and I hearya on the packaging... 70% of the time, those little guys don't wanna come out...
and the other 30% pop out like JiffyPop!
I remove all of them from the packaging and store'm in an old Tupperware container (including all the "crumbs").

And I use them in winter to start my fire in the wood stove.

I think it's time to try the oil and paper towel...another good idea is the Tupperware container and empty the entire package of cubes at once, crumbs and all.

Great idea Jim!I will have to try the Tupperware, you are so innovative
icon_smile.gif
I love the weber cubes also, but they can try my patience at times. I consider it a "bonus" when I can get them out perfectly.
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I consider it a "bonus" when I can get them out perfectly </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
EXACTLY!! Like..., it's the PERFECT DAY!
icon_biggrin.gif

Any luck with those little dried Fatwood sticks I see inthe hardware and odd lot stores? Never used them..are they long and hot burning?

I place 2 cubes on the charcoal grate, light them, then place the chimney full of charcoal over top of the lit cubes. Done, no mess.

Marc, I used those wood sticks, can't remember the brand name..AWEFUL!!! They let out so much smoke,and smelled so bad my neighbor jokingly wanted to call the fire department. I quickly extinguished it, dumped out the charcoal and started over with a few starter cubes.
Barry, no question is dumb. I personally put the cubes in the bottom of my weber chimney, but I may have to try Mike's way of putting it on the grate.

I looked them up Marc ( and for anyone else who wants to know). The ones I used were the Diamond Strike a Fire starter sticks. Smelled like tires burning. Learned my leasson, stick with the tried and true weber cubes.
icon_smile.gif

Fatwood sticks? Starter cubes? Newspaper? Sorry, but those of us into pyromania use a propane-fueled weed burner. I picked up a reasonably priced yet dependable one a few months back at Harbor Freight. Convenient and no mess to contend with.

Nothing like a bunker-busting flame thrower - did you happen to catch the movie Hamburger Hill? - to get the coals glowing in no time at all, with no smell or after taste.

I just made 24 fire starters for $1. I filled 2 paper egg cartons with dryer lint and poured wax over them. The $1 was spent on a 6 pack of emergency candles at Dollar Tree. I just used one and it worked great with no weird flavors added to the meat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back