Weber Spirit II E-210 - Disappointed 😢

Fred Smith

TVWBB Super Fan
We just had the first cook on it today using the griddle insert. Lit the grill no issues, let it warm up to about 400, and flat, no heat. Seems like the grill could not get past 300+ degrees and what should have taken 5-10 minutes took 45 to cook. We were making Philly steak and veggies. The burners were both set to high yet I felt like they were on low. Played around with thr knobs to make sure they weren't loose and even took the flavorizer bar out to look further. Couldn't find anything obvious but the flame didn't change much from low to high. Considering the condition this grill was in when I bought I don't expect this and having tested during the cleaning it hit 600 no issues. So what did I do wrong?? I'll be calling Weber in the morning for support but figured the support might be faster here. Thanks.

Attachments

• 20230921_191214.jpg
    20230921_191214.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 16
  • 20230921_191354.jpg
    20230921_191354.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 16
Glad you are back on the saddle Fred. Also, make sure all valves are closed when you open the tank.
Yes and I believe the issue started there. I came home to an uncovered grill and a wife staring at it as it's not the Summit and she hadn't used it before. I opened the tank, opened the second burner and then the first and paused.🤔 🤦🏾We spoke about why the grates were out and I replaced them.⏰At the point I pressed the Ignitor and POOOFFF.💥💥💥 From that point on the flame was low but we were unaware. Frustration was kicking in and the tank was mentioned as culprit but I installed it and it was correct🤦🏾🤦🏾. Should have listened to the wife. 😁😁

The tank float happens a lot more when they overfill your tank, might be why some of the tank swap company's shortchange on weight, local place I get mine filled opens the vent on the side and keep pumping till liquid comes out, I have to walk away and not watch, bad practice and will have a bad bang someday.

Glad it's fixed. Now show us what you cooked!
Ah wish I could but the damn thing took so long I didn't take any. Wasn't nothing special was just making Phillie cheese again on the grills 1st go. I'm suspecting that maybe this grill did this before hence why it was back at the store before I got it. 🤔 Good thing returned it and I got it.

The tank float happens a lot more when they overfill your tank, might be why some of the tank swap company's shortchange on weight, local place I get mine filled opens the vent on the side and keep pumping till liquid comes out, I have to walk away and not watch, bad practice and will have a bad bang someday.
Why not ask them not too?

Why not ask them not too?
About 20 years ago, I used to work at a garden center that did propane tank refills. From my experience, there is very little in the way of training that goes on when it comes to filling tanks. They were supposed to be filled by weight by placing them on a scale, but most of the employees just let the filling device run until the machine made a groaning noise and that's what they used to indicate that the tank was filled, which was definitely a bad practice. Typically, you'll know you have an overfilled tank when you get frost develop on the tank valve, hose, or the regulator on the hose. That said, an overfilled tank generally won't trip the bypass device, but it could result in damage to the hose regulator.

Typically, you'll know you have an overfilled tank when you get frost develop on the tank valve, hose, or the regulator on the hose.
That is not necessarily due to over filling. This also depends on rate of "draw", temp and humidity conditions as well. It can happen with a full tank, or a close to empty tank or anything in between. A simple bathroom scale is a good way to tell. Stamped right on the tank, is the "tare" weight and the full weight. Simply weigh it and you know exactly what you have

I can assure everyone that the tank was new and worked fine when I first tested the grill. I opened the propane tank normally but left the burners on for about a minute it more then hit the igniter causing the boom. This likely triggered the safety as it instantly extinguished itself. I keep my tank fresh and clean and new. My tanks are all dated 2023 as I exchanged some older ones for new ones when a new blue rhino vendor opened near my home. When thr time comes to refill I go to a local gas station that uses a scale. I guess looking back I should ask to have the title changed to Weber Spirit II E-210 safety device worked as expected.

That is not necessarily due to over filling. This also depends on rate of "draw", temp and humidity conditions as well. It can happen with a full tank, or a close to empty tank or anything in between. A simple bathroom scale is a good way to tell. Stamped right on the tank, is the "tare" weight and the full weight. Simply weigh it and you know exactly what you have
Agreed that it's not necessarily due to overfilling, but it can be an indicator. There's definitely a lot of other variables and conditions that can cause the frosting. Checking the weight of the tank is certainly the most accurate way to check if a tank is overfilled, but I'm not going to bring my bathroom scale outside to weigh every new tank that I bring home! :LOL:

Back