Weber Spirit E-310 issues - HELP!

Vadim - onlyktm

Hi Folks,

Grilling newbie here so be gentle.
We've got an almost two years old lightly used E-310, in the last couple of weeks I've noticed two things:
1. Struggling to start - in the past, it took less than a second.
2. Not hot - all 3 burners are not hot - grill barely reach high temp

Thought its something easy to fix, ordered a replacement regulator (not OEM) - replaced it, and got a new problem now.
1. The issue of struggling to start still exists
2. To make things worse - once I do start it up, the flame is high, more orange than blue - and the burners make a loud hissing sound - like there is too much pressure there.

Any thoughts of what it can be? I'm quite disappointed with the weber, only 2 years and we are very light users.

Thanks,
Vadim

You probably have the wrong regulator on your grill. You need a low pressure regulator. Can you post a link to the exact regulator you put on the grill?
When was the last time you cleaned the grill? Have you cleaned the burners? Maybe some pictures would help us see exactly what is going on.

Hi Folks,

Grilling newbie here so be gentle.
We've got an almost two years old lightly used E-310, in the last couple of weeks I've noticed two things:
1. Struggling to start - in the past, it took less than a second.
2. Not hot - all 3 burners are not hot - grill barely reach high temp

Thought its something easy to fix, ordered a replacement regulator (not OEM) - replaced it, and got a new problem now.
1. The issue of struggling to start still exists
2. To make things worse - once I do start it up, the flame is high, more orange than blue - and the burners make a loud hissing sound - like there is too much pressure there.

Any thoughts of what it can be? I'm quite disappointed with the weber, only 2 years and we are very light users.

Thanks,
Vadim
Go back to the original regulator. I am sure it was never the issue in the first place. I think you simply triggered the OPV device

Go back to the original regulator. I am sure it was never the issue in the first place. I think you simply triggered the OPV device
After I've changed the regulator - that was my thought - it's not the regulator.
I also thinking about going back to the original one.

This is what I've bought - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078K8DSXC/?tag=tvwb-20

What is the OPV device?

I admit I've never cleaned the burners - but I did dissemble everything last week, the burners look good, and I've cleaned the rest of the grill.

OPV device
Found this :

How do I fix the barbeque grill?

To reset the check valve and get back to cooking on your gas barbecue grill, first

• turn everything off. Turn off the grill, the rotisserie, the side burner and the LP gas cylinder tank.
  • Once everything is turned off disconnect the propane tank from the gas grill regulator by unscrewing it or pulling the quick-release on older or retro-fitted propane cylinders.
  • Now turn the grill on. I know, it is dis-connected from the gas tank but we want to ensure that the pressure in the gas lines or any gas in the burners is released.
  • Leave the grill, side burner, rotisserie, etc on high for a few minutes with the hood open before turning all the valves back to the off position.
  • Make sure. Most gas barbeque grill valves must be pushed in to turn them and if turning is attempted without pushing the knob, they will not turn to the “on” position.
  • With the grill, et al turned off reconnect the propane tank and slowly turn the hand wheel to the open position.
  • Slowly. The trick here is to turn the hand wheel slowly.
  • When the propane gas tank is new or newly-filled, the gas is full and the OPD is pushing slightly on the top filled area and the gas will want to burst through the valve. Slow it down by turning the valve on slowly and the check valve will reset itself.

That new regulator should work. But I am with Larry in thinking that you simply tripped the OPD (Overflow Protection Device). Your instructions above should help reset it.

Yep follow the directions. That regulator you bought SHOULD work but not to say it's faulty either. With a lot of these cheap import things who knows?

After I've changed the regulator - that was my thought - it's not the regulator.
I also thinking about going back to the original one.

This is what I've bought - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078K8DSXC/?tag=tvwb-20

What is the OPV device?

I admit I've never cleaned the burners - but I did dissemble everything last week, the burners look good, and I've cleaned the rest of the grill.
Looking at the questions and answers on amazon for that regulator, it does not appear to be what you need. Larry will know. It shows 11" WC and another user put it on a Genesis and had the identical issue you did. Go back to your old regulator

Sorry to disagree with Larry and Bruce, but that replacement regulator you linked is NOT going to work. Our grills require a regulator that is rated at 11"WC, which is about 1/3rd of 1 PSI, as Dan says.
1606156530792.png

Ed is right. This is the one that we determined in a thread several months back was not going to work well on a standard grill. The advertising is misleading.

11" WC is considered low pressure. That regulator SHOULD work but either he got a faulty one or they're simply made terribly. If you look at the tag on an LP grill you will see it's rated at 11" WC BUT the seller of this thing has it rated "from 11" to 27" WC" So WTH is that? OP you bought some flim flam piece of junk that even the seller does not realize is wrongly rated. If this thing was TRULY an 11"WC regulator it would work flawlessly

as you said guys - it doesn't seem like a regulator issue.

Update:

I've replaced the regulator again and went back to the stock one.
did the procedure listed here:
It took like 5-10 seconds to start - while it always was instant - still not sure everything is okay.

after it started - I've put a timer for 10 minutes - it reached a bit above 500 degrees. (around 505-510)
The problem is - when I did open the lid, to feel the heat, the middle and the right burner feels hot - while the lift (first burner) I can leave my hand there - it's not hot.

Thoughts? I think that's related to the problem - and the fact it's not starting right up.

Rotate the burners around. Does the problem follow the burner?

As for delayed ignition, does it light instantly with a BBQ lighter?

The problem is - when I did open the lid, to feel the heat, the middle and the right burner feels hot - while the lift (first burner) I can leave my hand there - it's not hot.
I assume from this description that the grates and flavorizer bars were still installed on n this most recent test? When they are cool enough to handle, remove them from the grill. Now try starting it again. Does the igniter spark? Do all the burners ignite?

Since this is one of the front control Genesis, on another thread it was noted that some igniters were not working due to being knocked out of alignment relative to the burner or plugged holes in the burner tube where the igniter is located. Easy enough to check. Your on the right track to solving your issue.

Yeah I would be taking those burners out and giving everything a full cleaning. Wire brush those tubes really well. DO NOT fool with the air shutters. If the burners used to operate ok before than you can believe it has nothing to do with the air shutters. Pay close attention to everything. I can remember years ago I was ready to toss my Genesis in the trash until someone in tech support explained to me to even clean the orifices in the valves.

Ill play with the things everyone wrote here and will keep you posted.
Weber techy wrote me the following:

It seems like this issue is with the crossover tube that links the burners together. Have you attempted cleaning it? If not, please try to do so.

The attached instructions will show you how to remove your burners.

To clean out the inside of the crossover tube you can use a straightened out wire coat hanger, a stiff piece of electrical wire, or a sturdy pipe cleaner.

looks like I'm taking the grill to the garage to work on it hahah.

Back