Weber Smokefire 3rd edition

Paul M

TVWBB Fan
For next year, I'm likely to buy a Weber Smokefire, the latest addition, which at the moment is the Stealth. I recall reading somewhere here or somewhere else, that a newer model is in the pipeline. Anybody heard or know of such?

There is nothing definite that I know of. I do believe Weber has to be working on a more significant redo, maybe even a new name. With almost no floor space at any major retail location, I think Weber has to work hard to win back the confidence of these retailers or risk being completely marginalized in the critical pellet grill market.

I still see a huge opening that Weber could easily fill with a pellet kettle!:coolkettle:

The Stealth version was released in late May/early June. All we have are rumors of a new version and Weber, nor their distributors, aren't saying anything about it. Sorry I can't be more help.

Last edited:
Also, there is a re-organization going on at Weber right now, with a leadership change in the works, and a potential buy-out offer in the wings. They will probably get their ducks in a row, see where their profit and loss centers are, and act accordingly. If the economy tanks, and interest rates continue to climb, no doubt that will have an impact, too.

I wouldn’t expect anything for at least a year if not more. I’m not sure Weber is spending the coin on development of a major redesign right now with them bleeding in the market.

Thanks for the replies. See where I am in the Spring. I've a small collection of Weber products, all charcoal. My spare time is taken up with other things now, can't spend all day tending my smoker. So want something less time consumer, don't want gas, so might go for the SF, as an all rounder.

Agree with Jason, it would have to be something of an incredible upgrade for me to get one. Well, ok, if I ever end up building a cabin maybe one would end up there.

I am and always will be a diehard charcoal guy, and got my Smokefire out of curiosity really, and absolutely fell in love with the food it produces. I also got a GMG and it’s not even close flavor-wise. Although it’s the smallest and maybe that plays a factor.

My Smokefire is by far my most-used grill. It’s the easiest to fire up during the week after work.

Agree with Jason, it would have to be something of an incredible upgrade for me to get one. Well, ok, if I ever end up building a cabin maybe one would end up there.

I am and always will be a diehard charcoal guy, and got my Smokefire out of curiosity really, and absolutely fell in love with the food it produces. I also got a GMG and it’s not even close flavor-wise. Although it’s the smallest and maybe that plays a factor.

My Smokefire is by far my most-used grill. It’s the easiest to fire up during the week after work.
Anything with a solid drip pan and side exhaust stack will not compete at all with other designs flavor wise.

For sure, and it’s super noticeable. There’s part of me that wants the middle GMG (Daniel Boone) but part really wants an EX4

For a newbie when it comes to this type of grill, what are the differences you all are referring to?

For a newbie when it comes to this type of grill, what are the differences you all are referring to?
The Smokefire has a unique smoke profile when compared to some other brands. Personally, all I can tell you is the profile is on the mild side but very clean and almost sweet tasting. I have never owned another pellet grill for comparison. But I own and cook on many types of grills. AOG gasser, Weber gasser, several BGE, Kamado Joe, Goldens Cast Iron Kamado and Offset. The Smokefire appears by many to get this unique profile because it uses the flavor bar system, very similar to Weber gas grills. Most pellet grills use a large, angled diffuser plate with holes or ribs to allow heat to rise and catch drippings. This is the major difference between the Smokefire and many other brands.

The Smokefire has a unique smoke profile when compared to some other brands. Personally, all I can tell you is the profile is on the mild side but very clean and almost sweet tasting. I have never owned another pellet grill for comparison. But I own and cook on many types of grills. AOG gasser, Weber gasser, several BGE, Kamado Joe, Goldens Cast Iron Kamado and Offset. The Smokefire appears by many to get this unique profile because it uses the flavor bar system, very similar to Weber gas grills. Most pellet grills use a large, angled diffuser plate with holes or ribs to allow heat to rise and catch drippings. This is the major difference between the Smokefire and many other brands.
Thanks for the information! I have been intrigued by the Smokefire. Getting to a point in my life where I might have to trade out for something that requires minimal attention.

I attribute the difference to the flavorizer bars and open to the bottoms, where every other pellet I’ve been around has the pan that catches grease but also separates the food and heat.

It’s unique. I’ve had food off of Green Mountains, Traegers, Louisiana, Pit Boss, and….there’s another that escapes me….and those all taste fairly similar but Smokefire is closer to charcoal and has a more “authentic” BBQ flavor.

I would certainly recommend one. I can’t speak highly enough of mine, it has become the workhorse

As others have said, the smoke profile that Smokefire provides is unique; I agree that it is on the lighter side but very clean and entirely controllable. The net result in my case is that my wife actually likes the food we make in it. We've eaten enough amateurish, WAY over-smoked stuff to know the difference between that crap and good BBQ. For certain things where more smoke is desirable, i.e. larger pork shoulders, chuck roasts and briskets, a few hours on smoke boost gets it done without any hassle. For my money, Smokefire has the best combination of features and flexibility.

….which says nothing about a new gen Smokefire.

Smokefire will continue as-is for the foreseeable future. They aren’t going to drop a brand new gen 3 anytime soon I don’t think.

Back