Weber Slate Griddle

Darryl - swazies

TVWBB Diamond Member
We have had some talks here about it.........
I am just curious as to if we have more than one taker on ownership of one of these bad boys.
Seen a few reviews, people seem to like how it works and the handy gadgets you can add to it.
A couple possibly deeper thoughts on it have people concerned over the burner choices and getting possibly inconsistent heat readings.
Calling it old school in comparison to some newer models available.....??
Just looking for honest thoughts on what you paid a bit more for compared to say a Blackstone which in my head is what griddles can be judged against.

I am under a surprisingly amount of pressure from the MRS to obtain a griddle.....and her knowing me has already accepted I would probably only spring for the Slate.
Being an owner of only Weber products is probably the main reason she thinks like that.
I would probably only need to get the model that does not have the thermometer built into it....a couple reasons and I could be mistaken.
I think it would work like anything else......like a stove per say.....you get to know in short time where the knobs are set and what to expect for heat.
What 1/4 does for you and what 3/4 throttle also does for you........I see max heat provides very hot heat, which probably wouldn't be needed very often.
I have never owned a griddle, and my real estate at home for one is minimal. It would probably mean I would have to move the E6 to the garage and pull it out front of the house for long and slow cooks.....leaving the Performer ( table is handy ) and the Slate out on the back deck.......I would assume I would those 2 the most often.

I know what most of you are probably thinking............
If the MRS thinks you should own another grill or griddle even that I shouldn't even be considering anything else than getting it ASAP before she changes her mind.
I thought the same thing right away........but in all honesty the real estate is my primary concern.
My current setup is great.....perfect amount of room and it looks tidy and professional out back on the deck.
Now I have almost enough room to set it up perpendicular at the end of the deck but this Slate seems to have nice.....yes nice big side working tables....I like this a lot. But..........they also do not seem to fold down to limit used space while being stored. I could be mistaken here as well, please correct me if I am wrong.
If the tables folded down I would already own this I think.

Below is pictured the lesser cost model without the built in thermometer............
The Blackstone is probably longer in the 36inch model than the Slate at 30 inches.....but Blackstone does offer a smaller setup I could consider.
Thanks ahead of time for reading and your thoughts.

1716900295605.png

Nice looking product but lots of $$$$ for that W on the label IMO

This is the only thing that kept running through my head. It was getting close to double the price of a Blackstone.
But in my looking around I see products such as the Halo and the new Flatrock......both seem to be as much money or more.......
Leaving the Blackstone as what would appear to be one of the more affordable options out there....

Also upon looking more I see the left side table...which I also think is the only one that folds down ( propane tank is mounted on the right side ) that does indeed fold down. This probably leaves me with enough room to store the 3 grills on the deck.
I might have to move them around from time to time but it may just work out.

Still hoping to hear form people here who own one.....I read a lot of positive things but in reality it is still very new.

1716906332850.png

1716906405344.png

Not in the griddle market myself. Honestly just cannot see enough actual use for a huge dedicated appliance like this. But, if I was you can by 2 of these https://www.samsclub.com/p/members-mark-pro-series-5-burner-gas-griddle/prod26361712 for the cost of one of those. Now in fairness I've not seen a Slate (but I have seen their previous offering) and it was downright "chintzy" compared to the MM. So I cannot make that comparison to the Slate. But $$$ for $$$ it's what I would do.
Best of luck no matter how you decide.

Not in the griddle market myself. Honestly just cannot see enough actual use for a huge dedicated appliance like this. But, if I was you can by 2 of these https://www.samsclub.com/p/members-mark-pro-series-5-burner-gas-griddle/prod26361712 for the cost of one of those. Now in fairness I've not seen a Slate (but I have seen their previous offering) and it was downright "chintzy" compared to the MM. So I cannot make that comparison to the Slate. But $$$ for $$$ it's what I would do.
Best of luck no matter how you decide.

To be fair I don't think I can get MM products up here north of the boarder.
It might exist but I have never seen one around these great lands.

Still undecided...have to do some measuring.....but if the MRS tells you to buy outdoor cooking products I would say the safest thing you can do is listen to the boss.......am I right?;)

She did mention about buying a dedicated pizza oven once, but that is something I couldn't see using enough to make it worth the price.
The flat top however could indeed cook everything almost the stove top would make........

Now a pizza oven IS something I could see using way more than a griddle. But, a griddle is one of those things, in my mind as a possibly "fun to try" a couple times, and then, I'm over it. BTW forgot you were in El Norte'
So yeah IDK what you can find there or not. Maybe look under the Coleman name. I remember the pellet grill I got had the identical product sold in Canada under the name Coleman. Identical except for the lid which is stamped with raised COLEMAN on it.

Now a pizza oven IS something I could see using way more than a griddle. But, a griddle is one of those things, in my mind as a possibly "fun to try" a couple times, and then, I'm over it. BTW forgot you were in El Norte'
So yeah IDK what you can find there or not. Maybe look under the Coleman name. I remember the pellet grill I got had the identical product sold in Canada under the name Coleman. Identical except for the lid which is stamped with raised COLEMAN on it.

Pizza is one of my 4 main food groups.......I do like it a lot but have recently removed many things from my diet including refined flours.
Now don't kid yourself, I will be eating pizza on occasion......I have to or I might as well just off myself right now....lol....j/k...but seriously I started up the carnivore diet and honestly I might not look back.....finding a lot of positives with it.....but that is another story.
But the flat top from where I stand can cook a lot of bbq meats and also meals made in the house besides soup and soup related dishes I guess........
I feel like I could use it multiple days per week as long as like you said it doesn't get old......there is a bunch of clean up and seasoning and all that too.
I have been considering if for a while......I will be sure to let everyone know of course.

Must not be many buyers of said Slate yet.....I will wait and see maybe some evening folks have something to add.

Last edited:
Its not the slate its the older model which might be an option to spend less money if Weber still sells it. To me and I just would not get enough use out of it the consistent heat of the Weber and Traegar would be worth the money.

Darryl, HD and Lowes still sell the older model if you could live with the size for a good price. Is the Slate better probably but how often are you going to use the thing I have contemplated buying one myself just not gonna get enough use out of it kids gone old days I could have gotten alot of use out of it.

I keep forgetting your in Canada so I don't know what the price up there is. I also did not realize the Weber at this price is way lower than the Traegar what is the worst that can happen you buy the old Weber model see if you like it and take it back if you do not.

Last edited:
I actually came across a pretty good video from a normal guy doing a review.....no money exchanged no one sided thinking.
The video is selling me especially with the fold down one side table.
Make sure you watch right from zero seconds if you do decide to watch this video.
The smash burgers at the start are a for real no joke............
On my way home here really soon to take measurements.

Darryl, HD and Lowes still sell the older model if you could live with the size for a good price. Is the Slate better probably but how often are you going to use the thing I have contemplated buying one myself just not gonna get enough use out of it kids gone old days I could have gotten alot of use out of it.

I keep forgetting your in Canada so I don't know what the price up there is. I also did not realize the Weber at this price is way lower than the Traegar what is the worst that can happen you buy the old Weber model see if you like it and take it back if you do not.

Kind of shying away from the previous model like the smoke fire ended up doing to people as well.
They made a new one about a year or so later for a reason....this is just the way my heads goes.....it is cheaper but so are the Blackstone's.

Dude, what are you waiting for, you already have the greenlight from your other half & I believe you have stated that your dad owns a Blackstone. You could have already been making Philly cheese steaks, fajitas & smash burgers.

I hear you bro........
Literally on my way home in 10 minutes to get the measuring tape out.
Some guy posted the shelf down measurements online but it was for the 36" model and it measured at 65 inches from edge to egde.
I have to believe that the 30" model ( the one I want ) will measure out at 59 inches......seems that could be the only answer........
If I fit I am probably going to get one on order......
My go to online ordering bbq store said on Saturday to get your name in for the pre order........today I looked and it says in stock.
They are ready to go now....and the season is perfect.
Tax returns just came in too......there really isn't much holding me back besides the real estate issue.

I wonder if the Slate with the new cooking surface requires this was looking at the Member Mark and no way am I gonna buy something that requires this kind of effort. Looking forward to your reviews have a buddy who asked about the Slate will see what you think.

Quote:
Member's Mark Supplier
Thank you for taking time to leave a review. The appearance of rust spots on the griddle top, is indication that the protective seasoning has worn off and must be repeated. Unfortunately, seasoning is not a single application. Seasoning your griddle top is required before and after every cook. Seasoning your griddle top improves the cooking performance, creates a non-stick surface, prevents damage, and deterioration due to moisture, and extends the life of your griddle.

Good news is that the griddle top can be fully restored! Begin by dampening the surface with water. With protective gloves and steel wool, scrub the areas of concern until the rust has been lifted from the surface. Rinse the surface thoroughly. (Be careful not to overflow the grease catch.) Wipe the griddle surface with a cloth to dry, and remove any debris before re-seasoning. For your convenience, I've included a link below to a step-by-step instructional video for how to season your griddle once the rust has been lifted:

All plain carbon steel griddles need this. It's not a signature of this company's. All of them require it. I guess the Slate is porcelain cooking surface. So it's unique

All plain carbon steel griddles need this. It's not a signature of this company's. All of them require it. I guess the Slate is porcelain cooking surface. So it's unique
Its not a porcelain cooking surface its Carbon Steel and yes per the manual it needs to be seasoned every 2 or 3 times per use. It does not per the manual need to be seasoned before or after every use. We need Darryl to run it thru some cooks and we will see.

Its not a porcelain cooking surface its Carbon Steel and yes per the manual it needs to be seasoned every 2 or 3 times per use. It does not per the manual need to be seasoned before or after every use. We need Darryl to run it thru some cooks and we will see.

I looked at a YouTube on it and the tester noted that it was coated with what he believed to be Porcelain. If it's not I'll stand corrected. But there is no way it's plain steel and does not need seasoning.

Larry read the manual don't take some YouTube person its clearly stated in the manual its Carbon Steel. Did you bother to read the manual?

It’s a carbon steel that is made with some high heat…..basically it comes ready to go like a lodge pan but seasoning it should be in the plans and to do it every so often. It may not need it but I would do it anyways.
I believe it is a higher quality made than all previous griddles……anyone who didn’t watch that you tube vid I posted should if you had questions.

Back