Weber Skyline Two Burner

DanJC

TVWBB Fan
Hi all!

Want to finally join the Skyline Club?

I'm moving to SF proper and won't have a balcony, so considering selling my beautiful Skyline (otherwise will put into storage). I would hate for this to end up in a dump, so would like it to find a good home. I'm not sure what these are going for these days as I can't find any listed, so feel free to send me an offer. Can include a free propane tank if you'd like.

IMG_8817.jpeg
IMG_8818.jpeg
IMG_8824.jpeg

Dan, if/when you have time, could you post a picture of just the Skyline graphic? I'd like to carve a sign with that graphic. Eventually I want to do all of them...Platinum Series, Platinum II Series, etc.

EDIT: Beautiful grill, BTW!

Here are the vectors if anyone wants them. At some point I will carve this like this one (maybe not so deep next time).

(Ooops! the filetype isn't supported for upload) Here's a screenshot.

Attachments

• Skyline.png
    Skyline.png
    207.3 KB · Views: 29
This is what I was thinking of. Found it in the 97 catalog.

Attachments

• 5659877B-7872-4D3B-AD90-28AB7E1D5FC5.png
    5659877B-7872-4D3B-AD90-28AB7E1D5FC5.png
    572.2 KB · Views: 21
Yes, there are those gray lids with the red pin stripes. There are green ones in the platinum series and probably a couple others. But the "SKYLINE" was only used white on black.

Wow, nice job. Why no windows though? Just curious how long that took to vector?
It really depends on the image. @DanJC really knows how to take a good picture so I didn't have to de-skew it and the image is nearly ideal with a lot of contrast between foreground and background. I took the windows out because I didn't think the extra detail would add anything to the project if I were using redwood like my previous carving (my half-idea is to carve all the other emblems/graphics...Platinum Series, Platinum II Series, Weber Genesis Silver, etc...and hang them in a stack with brass screw-eyes and a bit of brass chain between them. Then I could add to it as it grows.)

I made the Boba Fett sign for my grandson and my wife made such a big deal about it that I made her one. I used a stencil on poplar to try and make the detail painting a little easier for me but the contrast between the stencil and the light background really made it pop and my daughter got so enthusiastic about it I had a hard time explaining to her what it was. I have the remains of a fence picket that is just about the right size for the Skyline emblem so I took the windows out, but if I were going to carve it in poplar and paint the details then I would leave them in.

Jon, it would be pointless to sell one of these...it would be like buying a grill for $25, rehabbing it and selling it for $27.50. I'd rather just give them as gifts, not saying that I will give you one, but I know it would mean a lot to you and that would make me happy, so who knows? It would definitely be unfinished...I just don't have the patience for finishing wood.

EDIT: I textured the background on the Weber logo, just like the original, with the idea of painting the background, but the redwood looks so pretty I dunno...

Attachments

• 20210709_153120.png
    20210709_153120.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 15
  • 20210719_153343.png
    20210719_153343.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
It really depends on the image. @DanJC really knows how to take a good picture so I didn't have to de-skew it and the image is nearly ideal with a lot of contrast between foreground and background. I took the windows out because I didn't think the extra detail would add anything to the project if I were using redwood like my previous carving (my half-idea is to carve all the other emblems/graphics...Platinum Series, Platinum II Series, Weber Genesis Silver, etc...and hang them in a stack with brass screw-eyes and a bit of brass chain between them. Then I could add to it as it grows.)

I made the Boba Fett sign for my grandson and my wife made such a big deal about it that I made her one. I used a stencil on poplar to try and make the detail painting a little easier for me but the contrast between the stencil and the light background really made it pop and my daughter got so enthusiastic about it I had a hard time explaining to her what it was. I have the remains of a fence picket that is just about the right size for the Skyline emblem so I took the windows out, but if I were going to carve it in poplar and paint the details then I would leave them in.

Jon, it would be pointless to sell one of these...it would be like buying a grill for $25, rehabbing it and selling it for $27.50. I'd rather just give them as gifts, not saying that I will give you one, but I know it would mean a lot to you and that would make me happy, so who knows? It would definitely be unfinished...I just don't have the patience for finishing wood.

EDIT: I textured the background on the Weber logo, just like the original, with the idea of painting the background, but the redwood looks so pretty I dunno...
That Boba Fetts wood piece looks amazing and I have never even heard of the stuff. I agree with you on wood work. I don't mind building stuff but finishing it sucks. Way too much time and patients that I don't have.

Back