Weber says no, I tell ya it works-22.5 Kettle Modification

Tom Waterhouse

I went from Typical Original 22.5” Weber Kettle, to buying a used on for parts, removing the ash disc from my existing, removed the legs, removed Ash Bucket from the used Weber, cleaned it, and installed on my existing original kettle, and put the legs back on to hold the ash bucket in place. Weber support said it could no be done….. well it can as long as you have the slot cuts for the ash ring are on the leg bracket and the legs hold down the tab from moving.

17675C6D-8B6C-4A1A-81E8-9BC94E59E7E0.jpeg

Attachments

• EB9B5D23-97E1-4729-A158-3E30C0510FBF.jpeg
    EB9B5D23-97E1-4729-A158-3E30C0510FBF.jpeg
    279.7 KB · Views: 57
Last edited by a moderator:
I did the same, but I think that the issue is that the slots in the leg sockets weren't always positioned correctly. One of my leg sockets was rotated just enough that the tab on the aluminum ash bucket holder wouldn't fit into it properly. I ended up using stainless steel hose clamps to affix the tabs to the sockets.

I did the same, but I think that the issue is that the slots in the leg sockets weren't always positioned correctly. One of my leg sockets was rotated just enough that the tab on the aluminum ash bucket holder wouldn't fit into it properly. I ended up using stainless steel hose clamps to affix the tabs to the sockets.
That is a good idea what you did. Luckily the slots lined up with the tabs of the ash pan ring.

Yeah, they told me that I couldn’t put an ash catcher on my 18 and refused to sell me one. Went to eBay and got one there, five minutes and I was in business! The only time I’ve been disappointed in their service. Must have been a rookie or someone was just toeing the company line. I get it but, I don’t always like it.

I've considered doing this to the 22 I bought to use as a dedicated pizza oven. I haven't found a cheap enough donor to buy just for the ash bucket. Now I'll have to check the leg sockets for slots to see if it's possible. But if not, it will give me a chance to play with my metallic surgery kit (aka Demel).

My 06 OTG had that same problem, one of the tabs kept popping out and it bugged me .
I used 3 self tapping screws but the hose clamps are a great idea!

It looks really clean, what you can see of it...the worm drive part of the clamp goes to the inside so all you see from the outside is the SS band. I like it because it doesn't require grinding the leg socket and creating a potential rust area. The ring that supports the bucket is rock solid with 3 clamps on it.

Attachments

• 20220731_131119.jpg
    20220731_131119.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 18

Back