weber rib & roast holder?

Sean C

TVWBB Member
hi, will the rib rst holder fit in the 18.5 wsm?
just been told getting it for christmas! I can always use it in the kettle and Q320! but the wsm is my new favorite toy! one more question! do I have to use smoking woods all the time in the wsm? I dont mind the smoke taste, but the wife says its too smokey! I even cooked a full chicken this week with 2 hand fulls of apple chips, & that came out toooo smokey. so I ate the full bird!
thanks guys

do I have to use smoking woods all the time in the wsm? I dont mind the smoke taste, but the wife says its too smokey! I even cooked a full chicken this week with 2 hand fulls of apple chips, & that came out toooo smokey. so I ate the full bird!
thanks guys

i have to plead ignorance to the roast holder question , but I am in the same boat as you on the smoke wood question. Sweetie is not a fan of the big smoke flavor so I usually go with straight charcoal and maybe a small chunk of oak , which is pretty mild. I'm gradually winning her over , but I have to say I can't use mesquite AT ALL....way too potent.
next pork I smoke , I'm going to try some apple chips that my son gave me....see how that goes over.
edit: wow I just finally read the last line of your post. (Just waking up )....I guess I'll use half a handful of the apple chips . Thanks for the heads up !:cool:

Last edited:
Smoke is an acquired taste for some and especially when starting out the tendency is to over smoke. Use a good brand of lump alone as was mentioned above or Oak or Maple. Mesquite is very powerful and I have ruined a couple of cooks trying to get a handle on it. I just use it now and then for burgers or steaks. Hickory is very strong as well, pecan is a milder flavor of hickory. Apple does produce a nice light smoke but again err on the side of too little or none at all and you should be fine.
Poultry and fish require very little smoke for flavor as compared to pork or beef.

cheers guys, will do a beef rib roast tonight, with no hickory or apple wood! will see how she likes that?

hi, will the rib rst holder fit in the 18.5 wsm?
just been told getting it for christmas! I can always use it in the kettle and Q320! but the wsm is my new favorite toy! one more question! do I have to use smoking woods all the time in the wsm? I dont mind the smoke taste, but the wife says its too smokey! I even cooked a full chicken this week with 2 hand fulls of apple chips, & that came out toooo smokey. so I ate the full bird!
thanks guys

I was at Home Depot yesterday and they had both the rib/roast rack and 18.5 on display. Tried fitting the rack in the WSM and it didn't fit. I was looking to buy the rack too, but now know it won't fit in my WSM. I bought the Brinkman rack instead.

wow! dont say that we dont have brinkman over here! but the rib roast was good last night! the wife said it had no smoke flavour! but a bit over cooked! I think so tooo!
wish you could attatch photos with your mobile phone on this site! !!

I love smoky goodness, but will often not use smoke wood in the WSM. I use it as a roaster in non-smoke recipes and love that i can throw two chimneys of lit and open up the vents with no water in the pan and maintain a consistent 350*

cheers, guys, thats the rack iam getting!
in the photo of the turkey is that foil under the rack? & no water pan?

cheers, guys, thats the rack iam getting!
in the photo of the turkey is that foil under the rack? & no water pan?

Sean, yes that is a foil pan that I cut the top off so it would fit under the rack. I used the foil pan to catch the turkey drippings. And I just foiled the water pan, but left it in place.

well I will find out on christmas morning if it fits! or I will make it fit! and looks like its going to be HOT DAY!!!

Just be super careful when trying to bend the legs (or any piece) of the roast / rib holder. I tried to angle mine and snapped off on of the bars.

Major man points on the re-use of an ironing board for a BBQ/WSM table.( I like the height).. :wsm:

Tim

Back