Weber Q 1200 ?

What I wish is that it was practical to make cast Stainless Steel grates. I saw this on a high end grill recently, so I know it can be done. Price would be an entirely different matter. If such a thing was made for the Q it would hopefully offer close to cast iron performance with stainless steel longevity.

You mean like this:

Stanbroil Outdoor Stainless Steel Casting Cooking Grates Fit Weber Q100 and Q1000 Series Grills
https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B074S23PP3/tvwb-20

I thought about these, but with care the CI ones last quite well. What worries me is they're only 4mm. I would feel better if they were 5 or 6 mm thick. Also the protection areas for the burners are flat so I wonder how well they will channel grease away from the burner(s). Though IMO I think these would perform better overall than the rod type grates in a Q

Yah, they both seem to get decent reviews. It would just be good to see a review from someone on the list on one or both of them. I agree there are concerns, just not sure if they are warranted or not. But, I just like the SS aspect of them for the durability factor. By far, the least durable part of the Q grills is the CI grates. At least they are for me. I am not the guy that goes out and treats them like i do my firearms after shooting where I clean them all up and oil them all up. I just prefer to scrape the old crud off and throw the meat on. That system doesn't seem to work so well for me with Q grills.

You mean like this:

Stanbroil Outdoor Stainless Steel Casting Cooking Grates Fit Weber Q100 and Q1000 Series Grills
https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B074S23PP3/tvwb-20

To me, that is basically a flat sheet of stainless with die cuts. I wish you get a set that was cast like the iron ones - I guess in a mold - so that it would have the same shape and design as regular Q grates but be made out of solid stainless. I saw a high end grill a couple months ago that had hick cast stainless grates.

Jon, I think that a Cast stainless grate that is a clone of the cast iron would probably cost almost as much as the grill itself.

Back