Weber Performer Meltdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laf

TVWBB Member
Hi all, new to the forum but not, by any means, to the website! Just a heads up. I have what appears to be a 2000 Performer w/ Stainless Steel table and 5 pound tank. Anyhoo, grilling some sausages last week w/ lump, went in to get something, and 5 mins later I came out and the nylon lid damper handle had melted and run down the side of the lid like a lava flow. It is now a hardened on mess! Just wanted to put that warning out there. FYI, my warranty ran out (even though I bought it in 2005, it was a 2000 model) but, after a few emails back and forth, Weber is sending me a new lid free! Just another reason they're an awesome company. Be careful out there, melting nylon plastic is no joke! Also, on a side note, I am not a novice by any means and have been using the grill for almost 5 years so I dont think it was user error.

I would love to see some pics of this. I work for one of the biggest plastics producers in the US, we make glass filled nylon too. The melting point of our glass filled is 489' F.

I have often wondered if a rip roaring fire would melt the handles. Sounds like you proved it possible!

Hey there Jay B. I will gladly post some pictures. Any advice on how to do so? When I click on the photo button it asks for a URL. I have no idea how to do it. Anyway, it seems as if your predictions are correct
icon_smile.gif

Oh, I guess if you want to email me I could take and send you a few pictures of the catastrophe

Laf, you first need to upload the image to a image hosting site like photobucket.

That must have been one heck of a fire you had going, were flames shooting out of the top damper?

Thanks for taking the time to post the pictures. Im going to have to share these with my buddies in the lab. Im farily confident it is our product that Weber uses.

A normal charcoal fire did that? Would you mind sharing a little info on the specifics, like charcoal or wood, a chimney starter full of coal, a bucket of lighter fluid
icon_biggrin.gif
Again, Im just curious, my buddies in the lab will get a kick out of this.

what were you doing ? do you have a lot of grease in the bottom of the kettle ? you must have had a run away fire. nothing to laf about.

Hey guys. Here are some specifics. I was using lump charcoal (Cowboy, I think) and put in about 2 starters worth of coals (I dont use my starter on the Performer, I use the lighter). Never lighter fluid!
icon_smile.gif
The bowl was completely cleaned and empty of ashes for a cookout. Once it was going good and hot we put probably 15-20 sausage links on and, a few minutes later, put the lid on. I wasn't watching it, so flames might have been licking out but with the top on that never happens. Next thing I knew my buddies was asking what the lava flow down the side was. I worried a bit, and certainly not "laf"ing but the sausages came out perfectly cooked, no real char at all, and that's all I can say about it I guess. I did notice on my buddies one touch gold, which I bought him as a wedding gift, that his lid damper is metal only. Perhaps they discontinued use?

Last night I must have overloaded my Performer with Kingsford. I was cooking chicken on indirect on it, and after about 45 minutes I came out to check it. I was shocked to see that the temp was over 500 degrees.

I just went out to check my lid handle after reading Laf's post, and it still looks brand new.

Thanks again Laf for the info. Im sorry to hear about your troubles, but what great service from Weber to replace your 9 year old lid.

Its amazing that the heat was enough to melt nylon on the outside of your cooker, but the sausage was fine! My '07 Performer has the same nylon handle on the vent. Thanks for sharing your experience.

The handle on my 1999 Perform suffered a partial meltdown in the past before I got a hold of it. Nothing like your situation though.

i think the answer is two loads of lump going full blast with grease fumes igniting into a fireball. clearly the answer here is DON'T DO THAT !!
icon_smile.gif
icon_smile.gif
icon_smile.gif

George, I think you're probably right. I think this experience is akin to when, as a kid, you find out that your dad isn't really superman. I probably will not do that again. FYI- the Weber customer service person told me that they don't recommend using lump, only a little lump on top of briquettes. Who knew?

I am very surprised to hear that Weber personnel would state to a customer that the best selling charcoal grill in the country is not recommended for use with, well, charcoal.

I have abused my P in the past, but not anymore after the following experience: I also melted the lid rollers. But that was a pretty large, long fire of deadfall wood, with the lid in the holder which I think focused the heat on the rollers.

I also have used Cowboy, and find it hard to believe that stuff will burn long enough to do this damage. Hot enough, yes, but not long enough. Any kind of forced air (BBQ Guru, etc) used to crank up the heat?

Since that vent damper handle was on the low side away from the handle (from the pics), not on the high side nearer the handle, was the vent directly over the burning coals ? Usually one would put the vent on the opposite side of the fire, in order to draw the smoke across the food being cooked. This might explain the heat damage, while the sausages were "perfectly cooked with no real char" - they were cooked just by the radiant convection heat from the rounded lid and bowl, but not by smoke or fire, which just went straight up. This might qualify as "user error."

Hi guys. No mods, my Performer is stock, as they say, and the coals were spread evenly around the grate for direct grilling. The meat was cooked by both convection and radiant heat. No smoking wood was used. Also, Weber did not say to not use lump charcoal, they said they "recommend that one uses only a small amount on top of briquettes because this melting can occur". PS- They lid roller did not melt, that picture is of where the melting lid damper handle ended its journey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back