weber Performer Gold

Sean C

TVWBB Member
Just brought a weber Performer gold on ebay inc a cover! & only 18 months old! Now I have never cooked with charcoal or heat beads in an under cover area! What are the chances of a spark shooting out to light up a dog bed or something simular! (Iam a stresshead when Iit comes to fire) My under cover area is 14m x 4m.

How do you plan on firing up your charcoal? That's where the sparks come from especially if you're using lump charcoal. Sticking with the pressed/machine made charcoal pretty much eliminates the sparks while getting them started. Once they're in the kettle, just make sure the bottom ash catcher pan is in place and you'll be fine. But,,, be smart about it. Don't set your grill on top of carpet or right next to the dogs bed.

I had a screened in porch and loved using the grill in there. No bugs and being dry during a storm was awesome!

You'll eliminate virtually all possibility of collateral fire/heat/coal damage from the Performer if you get in the habit of closing the vents after a cook and dumping the ash from the pan to start the NEXT cook, when everything is completely cool. In my 20 years or so with a Performer, dumping hot coals in to the ash can and emptying it are the only times I've run the risk of burning a deck or setting a garbage can ablaze or igniting pine straw.

Sean, I agree with hat has been said.

I want to add that the sparks going up from a chimney are small and cool quickly. It would be harder for them to catch an overhead source that they caught from underneath then something that they landed on and settled. So like Harold said, just don't keep any flammable sources around the grill.

Having said that, I have never in my 26 year career as a firefighter been to a fire that was caused by the sparks from lighting a grill. Now dumping coals out when people thought they were cooled down is a different story

I have a screened in aluminum roof porch and have tried to use the WSM inside when it was raining and the smoke banking out across under the roof caused more problems than heat or sparks

I live in an area where we have high winds quite often and I avoided using my performer in those winds due to the drought and extreme high fire danger. With that said even in the few times the winds came up when I was using the performer I never saw any sparks or ash come out of the performers ash catcher, it appears to work very well.
Like others have said let the ashes completely cool in the ash catcher before dumping the ashes and keep your grill as far away as you can from any combustible material. One other thing the performer doesn't shut down as fast as say OTS because closing all the vents still leaves the opening the lighter tube comes through it will shut down it just takes longer.

Cheers guys! It is going to live next to the weber 320Q! So I will keep an eye on the first few cooks! I normally use the kettle and wsm on the back lawn, incase sparks shoot out! 1 last question are they easy to take apart? I dont have a trailer, so picking it up tomorrow night, then dismantle on the footpath put in the car, drive home and resemble

The two wires pull off terminals on the igniter button. The propane hose to the burner just pulls straight off once you pry the clip off (don't lose the ciip!). At that point, you can remove the entire kettle from the cart with four large philips head bolts. Disassembling the cart depends on whether it's a late model or older model Performer. If it's a new one, the plastic table comes off with four more Philips head bolts. Then, you could unscrew the plastic strut on one end and lift out the wire shelf. at that point, you'll be down to two tubes -- front and back, which should be as far as you need to go.

If it's an older model, I'd do everything possible to transport the cart in one piece (after removing the kettle). The metal inserts at the end of each tube on the cart are what ultimately rusted and killed my old Performer. Removing the bolts that hold the legs together, unless absolutely necessary, could be opening a big can of worms. Rusted/stripped bolts on the cart are going to make you swear and/or write big checks to the Weber parts department. Strap it to the roof if you have to!

Back