Weber Pellets

A Harrison

TVWBB Member
Anyone been successful in finding mesquite, cherry, and apple in any local stores?

I have had to order them from Weber Hickory and Grillmaster blends are the only ones that are carried locally.

if you aren’t burning Weber pellets what’s your next choice?

Weber’s prices are fair and free shipping, I’ve ordered everything from them because nothing is available here.
So far 140 pounds of Grillmaster and 20 each of the other options. I’m very happy with Weber’s options, wish they would add a Pecan though.

It looks like GrillMaster and Cherry are the most readily available, although my Lowe’s still doesn’t have any on the shelf. You can order them as Bruno notes.

I am very impressed with the GrillMaster blend. Haven’t tried the Cherry yet that I also got delivered.

For other brand recommendations, like many others, I really like Lumberjack which has many varieties including a number of true 100% single flavors. Try their Char-Hickory! I also like CookinPellets.com. Their Ultimate blend is a lot like Weber’s GrillMaster.

There is one thing I have been thinking about regarding those of you who have been working through and using the new SmokeFire. It seems like everyone is very happy with the smoke and cooking results with the SmokeFire once you get past the annoying problems. (See some of Bruno's and Dave's great BBQ pictures!😋)

I am wondering if these great results has a lot to do with the fact that most of you early adopters are also using the new Weber pellets.

I am super impressed with the Weber GrillMaster blend they have (used on my Rec Tec with no issue other than great smelling smoke!) I hope to try at least one or two more Weber blends before I move.

I personally believe that the pellets you use may be as important - or even MORE important - than what pellet grill you are cooking with.

What do you all think?

Really like the grill master blend, great flavor and smell. I am sticking with Weber pellets for now, the bEastX6 is a little temperamental and I want to learn how it handles what it was designed for. I put in a bag of apple and I’m going to do some pork tenderloin and sausages right now.
I’d like to see a pecan added to the mix.

In the review by Amazing Ribs they noted that Weber pellets are narrower (even if longer) than most other brands. This could explain why the SmokeFire works better with them. All I know is that my Rec Tec works great with the Weber pellets, too.

To your point, I’ve been using mostly Weber GM and Hickory, but in the past two weeks I picked up Lumberjack Apple and Char Hickory. Turned out some great baby back ribs and brisket with the LJ. I think the open concept with the flavorizer bars is playing a role along with the pellets.A06B2742-5175-4107-86B4-6FA6A2FBE4C9.jpeg506CDC5C-B9C4-482B-8D57-310A83366545.jpeg

Eugene, That’s some great looking results there! It does make good sense that the more open firebox delivers more smoke. You went with another very high quality choice for pellets. I am glad the SmokeFire obviously ran well with Lumberjack. I am not advocating trying it, but it would be interesting to see how it does with a lower quality pellet. Amazing Ribs couldn’t get the SmokeFire to run well on stale Traeger pellets. I am not saying that brand is not good. Never used them. Just interesting that they found a big improvement when they switched to new Weber pellets.

I have been thinking more about the Weber pellets. I used some more of the GrillMaster blend today to make bbq St. Louis ribs. Love the smoke and smoke flavor they make. Also, 6 hours on my Rec Tec really didn't consume a whole lot of pellets. These Weber GrillMaster pellets are becoming a big favorite with me. Even my wife complimented the smell of the ribs I brought in.

IMG_4612(1).jpg

IMG_4614(1).jpg

I did notice, however, that my Rec Tec hopper showed some slight signs of "bridging" or whatever you want to call it when the pellets don't drop evenly. Never enough to do anything affecting feed as my temperature chart showed a perfect fix on 225 degrees during my whole cook with only a tiny hiccup when I opened the grill to switch to wrapped as part of using the 3-2-1 method.

The Weber pellets are noticeably longer than the other brands I have used. They are also apparently (not as obviously) narrower in diameter. Some people have noted that this narrower diameter may make them work better in a Weber auger than competing brand pellets. Makes sense and could easily be true. What I am wondering is whether the unusually long size of these pellets also makes them more likely to "bridge" than shorter pellets. Most of the experiences people have been reporting with the SmokeFire were also people who were using the Weber pellets that they bought at the same time. Maybe the shape of these pellets contributes to that problem. Anybody have thoughts about this?

Thanks. I’m glad the Lumberjacks worked out at basically half of Weber’s price. Dick’s in Houston area matched $8.88 per bag price from Rural King’s website. Think they were regular price of around $14 per 20# bag at Dicks.

Thanks. I’m glad the Lumberjacks worked out at basically half of Weber’s price. Dick’s in Houston area matched $8.88 per bag price from Rural King’s website. Think they were regular price of around $14 per 20# bag at Dicks.

Sounds like you got a good deal. The Lumberjack pellets I have used have been great. I have blends of theirs I haven’t even had time to try. At the price you got, the Weber ones look comparatively overpriced. They are really good, though.

The Weber pellets are noticeably longer than the other brands I have used. They are also apparently (not as obviously) narrower in diameter. Some people have noted that this narrower diameter may make them work better in a Weber auger than competing brand pellets. Makes sense and could easily be true. What I am wondering is whether the unusually long size of these pellets also makes them more likely to "bridge" than shorter pellets. Most of the experiences people have been reporting with the SmokeFire were also people who were using the Weber pellets that they bought at the same time. Maybe the shape of these pellets contributes to that problem. Anybody have thoughts about this?

Yep - noticed the same thing. I broke up the longer ones. They do seem to be more compacted as well - compared to the two other brands I have.

Back