Weber Pellet Grill Decision

Mike Goetzke

I heard about the new Starwood and checked it out at my local dealer - the 600 Xl. But, I noticed they had the ELX6 Stealth for $200 less and it looks like twice the grill. It had a light, 4 casters, two side tables, and the crafted insert and griddle. Also, the upper rack is 14” deep on the ELX6 vs 10” on the 600 Xl.

I’m not an expert on pellet grills but heard they did have issues with the original Smokefire. Any reason not to pick the ELX6 over the 600XL?

Thanks

I will let the actual users here give their experienced opinion. I will just say that I think Weber worked out a lot - but not all - of the issues in the orignal SmokeFire by the time they got the Stealth version. The Searwood seems to get some things right, but still need more real world feedback. If I were in your position, I think I would be strongly tempted by the discounted ELX6 Stealth.

Yeah, you'll have to read through all the threads on the SmokeFire and sort of make your own conclusion. I can only give you my "opinion" and that is ALL it is based on what I have seen here and other places on the SearWood and the SF. And if I was forced to pull the trigger on a Weber today, I think even at a little more $$$ I would go Searwood. Though, I think Weber did do some pretty major "cheaping out" on it (wagon wheels and no casters rather than 4 casters) no shelf at all, and so on.

I think you have some time on SmokeFire support maybe another 5 or 6 years. They are still selling SmokeFires today so they at least have another 3 years and change to go warranty wise.

I don't think you can go wrong with either model. My 2nd Gen EX6 is my favorite smoker/grill. Does everything I need it to do.
The Searwood has some nice new features but not enough to make me want a new grill.

Having said that, if I were in your shoes I would get a Searwood.

Me, I'm waiting for a fire sale on a used EX4. Good luck with your decision, either way it's all good.

I would 100% get the Smokefire. Absolutely love mine. Some of the stuff on Searwood I think personally aren’t….ideal. Was planning to buy but keep second guessing

They are still selling SmokeFires today so they at least have another 3 years and change to go warranty wise.
They were still selling the Summits I had when I got mine but look how they abandoned me when I was STILL in warranty period. Honestly that kind of stuff should be illegal. But, I don't want to open that old wound again. Just a reminder of how "uncaring" the company can be when it suits them

Great choice! Since I’ve had mine it’s been amazing to cook on. Cleaned it for the first time today and all the ash and grease was where it was supposed to end up. Easy to clean. You’ll love it!
THIS is good to know and GOOD NEWS! I think this issue was the biggest shortcoming to the SmokeFire. Of course it could be easily overcome by using a drip pan. But then Weber made so much press by giving the drip tray in a regular pellet grill such a bad reputation and how it wasn't needed or helpful on the SF. Until they reversed that and my understanding is they then started recommending using a drip pan during a longer cook.
So I think they did a lot of homework to strike a happy medium.

Great choice! Since I’ve had mine it’s been amazing to cook on. Cleaned it for the first time today and all the ash and grease was where it was supposed to end up. Easy to clean. You’ll love it!
Thanks for the info - only thing I really didn’t like about the XL 600 was no shelf space but after viewing the Weber site I see they offer a front shelf as an accessory.

THIS is good to know and GOOD NEWS! I think this issue was the biggest shortcoming to the SmokeFire. Of course it could be easily overcome by using a drip pan. But then Weber made so much press by giving the drip tray in a regular pellet grill such a bad reputation and how it wasn't needed or helpful on the SF. Until they reversed that and my understanding is they then started recommending using a drip pan during a longer cook.
So I think they did a lot of homework to strike a happy medium.
Your comment reminds me of another question about the XL600. On my current ceramic grill I can insert a lower support to put a drip pan and on the Smokefire I see users placing a drip pan on top of the flavorizer bars. With its single flavorizer bar on the XL 600 is there a way to put a drip pan below the main grates?

Why go through the trouble of putting a pan under the grates? Put a pan on the top grate and cook with the upper grate.

With the Searwood you could get away without using a drip pan altogether if the new grease management system works as advertised. So far, from what I've seen and read it looks doable.

Yes, what Bob said. Honestly I RARELY use my bottom grates. Unless I have a lot to cook. Otherwise I simply gravitate to the top rack even if no drip pan. Being taller, makes using the top rack easier for me :D

Back