Weber Master Touch Premium alternatives

Thanks for seeking that out. I wonder if Weber will sell you those parts if you don’t have a Master Touch Premium registered with them.

How well does the diffuser really work? I could imagine problems with it radiating heat into what you are cooking. The original summit diffuser actually had an air gap. the kamado and mastertouch ones do not.
I think the design Tom Horsman cobbled together in his shop using two pizza pans and a smoker sheet between would do a better job of heat diffusion than, perhaps, the OEM Weber one. I was pretty impressed with his method. You could almost build two sets using his design for the price of the two pieces from Weber.

Then again the Aura system with ceramic shields may be the best setup.

Thanks for seeking that out. I wonder if Weber will sell you those parts if you don’t have a Master Touch Premium registered with them.
Weber does sell them individually; I bit the bullet & placed an order about an hour ago. I having been using a SnS for years in my Performer for smaller cooks, I have the WSM 22 for larger cooks. My biggest gripe about using the SnS as a smoking device is the loss of grate space, 50%, so I will give this a try.

How does this compare with GrillGrate?

Darren,
I don't have the grillgrates, but most people here (except one person here, don't bring up grillgrates to LMichaels) love their set(s). Jon is one of them. However, grillgrates are for those extra hot sears, the diffuser plate 99% or the time we are talking about helping us do low and slow in the kettle. So the correct answer is you need both!!!🤪

Weber does sell them individually; I bit the bullet & placed an order about an hour ago. I having been using a SnS for years in my Performer for smaller cooks, I have the WSM 22 for larger cooks. My biggest gripe about using the SnS as a smoking device is the loss of grate space, 50%, so I will give this a try.
That is super cool, no one that I know of has been able to order one before you tonight. Do you mind me asking what it cost?

I can tell you that 100% the older first gen Summit diffuser fits into a 22” kettle. I borrowed the one off of my Summit, built an expanded metal charcoal ring & did two 9lb butts overnight with my BBQ guru fan assy driven by my Fireboard 2. After about 15 hours I still had a few coals left, it’s my new portable smoker solution.

Attachments

• 60B846B2-DDC5-48E5-9A8D-3CBEE62E4822.jpeg
    60B846B2-DDC5-48E5-9A8D-3CBEE62E4822.jpeg
    135.3 KB · Views: 26
  • F5CC6FD3-6881-453E-BEF1-A171D06F8652.jpeg
    F5CC6FD3-6881-453E-BEF1-A171D06F8652.jpeg
    150.4 KB · Views: 26
  • 7D248881-3DCC-4EA3-B9FD-3FD9B29ACD0A.jpeg
    7D248881-3DCC-4EA3-B9FD-3FD9B29ACD0A.jpeg
    195.1 KB · Views: 27
  • 0D37F528-F81B-48B7-BCE4-CFAE0BCAE6FE.jpeg
    0D37F528-F81B-48B7-BCE4-CFAE0BCAE6FE.jpeg
    174.4 KB · Views: 27
Don't bother with the charcoal ring and diffuser plate. Just doesn't work well in a 22" kettle. Everything gets too close to the cooking grate. A pain to top up fuel.

I use a Fuse/Snake for long and low cooks on the kettle.
Others use the Slow n Sear which gets very good reviews.

I've had the MT Premium for some time. I wrote this review. MT Premium Review

The hinged lid is good but you need to fiddle with it to get it to seat properly. Mine needs another adjustment, or perhaps a gasket.

I saw a couple of pallets of these kettles right after Christmas at a local Costco. I don’t see them on the US Weber website, are they discontinued here? They were still on the Costco website earlier this week. My first thought was that the hinge was weak and prone to sealing issues…reading through here confirms my hunch on lid sealing/leaking. I have a friend overseas that owes me, he’s sending me the basket and diffuser…I plan on using it on my 26er.

Wow. It does look like the Premium went extinct-at least here in the US. I think it was overpriced and under marketed. The hinge was a cool idea but hard to adjust. Using a felt seal would probably help.

I emailed Weber yesterday, asking them if it been discontinued in the U.S. Here is there reply, could they be any more vague!

Thanks for reaching out to Weber, I hope you are doing well.

The grill you are asking for is currently unavailable on our Weber online store, I also do not have a date for when this will be available. I'm sorry for any inconvenience that this may have caused, there is a chance that these become available again sooner rather than later, though I cannot say with 100% certainty.

I apologize for any disappointment. I hope you understand.

Please let us know if there is anything else we can help you with. As always, we are happy to do so.

Thanks for being part of the Weber family.

I emailed Weber yesterday, asking them if it been discontinued in the U.S. Here is there reply, could they be any more vague!

Thanks for reaching out to Weber, I hope you are doing well.

The grill you are asking for is currently unavailable on our Weber online store, I also do not have a date for when this will be available. I'm sorry for any inconvenience that this may have caused, there is a chance that these become available again sooner rather than later, though I cannot say with 100% certainty.

I apologize for any disappointment. I hope you understand.

Please let us know if there is anything else we can help you with. As always, we are happy to do so.

Thanks for being part of the Weber family.

If there were awards for vague replies that would definitely have a place on the podium!

Mike,
I wonder if Weber off-loaded a bunch to Costco. That might explain you seeing so many of them at your Costco. It really doesn't seem like a typical grill that Costco would normally carry, but if Weber was in the mood to deal???

Seems likely that Weber offloaded remaining stock to Costco.

They are currently $500 in the U.K. (with an 11% discount). Over here it comes with the GBS sear grate, not the cover.

Weber U.K. website says it has low stocks. I wonder if it will be phased out here too?

Maybe a new model in the pipeline but with a tighter fitting lid.

Back