Weber Kettle Work Table 90's vintage still on store shelf

Timothy Hoffman

TVWBB All-Star
I stopped by the local (Oxford, WI) TrueValue hardware store this morning.
As I past the outdoors aisle with the grilling stuff I spotted a #1800 Kettle Work Table. As you can see from the photo this is rather old (90's). i have been down the aisle before and this was never there. A shipping sticker on the side still has the previous store owner on it, so this has been sitting in back for 10-20 years.

The price is a bit steep for me as it is something I dont need.

webertable.jpg

Well that didnt take long. My buddy Mark also of Oxford went and grabbed it. Since it still had the old store name on it he got it for 25% off! $33.00

Mark was so excited that he brought it over. $33.22 with tax.

Mark, the happy new owner.

IMG_0749.JPG

Looks like it is from around 1996.

IMG_0748.JPG

He just had to have me show him how to set it up, so we pulled out grandpa and slapped it on.

IMG_0752.JPG

It is still at my house until tonight. I am giving that raw wood a nice coating of Boos Block Board Cream (mineral oil with beeswax ).

He says it will be going on his Blue OTG.

Yep, do NOT leave outside, even covered. Never soak in water either.
The nice thing is that the wood lifts right off the metal frame.

Old! That's not old! Old is like from the 50s or early 60s. Thats like almost new being from the 90s! Whatever, still a great find.

It is cool to walk into the grilling dept at an old Ace or True Value Hardware Store and find old Weber accessories with a half-inch of dust on them, just waiting to be discovered! It's like a treasure hunt!

Ahhh, memories of all the accessories for Weber kettle grills I've had over the years. If I recall, that work table pretty much sucked. I mean, it worked as it was supposed to. And, it was better than nothing, but anything I ever put on it was pretty much guaranteed to get knocked off sooner or later. Definitely don't want to put your beer or your meat on it!

I was dumb enough to leave the board outside, a good storm came up overnight and it warped. It was nice and handy before it got ruined.

I bought one shortly after purchasing my OTG in 2006. I went to the hardware store and got a can of polyurethane and put multiple coats on it. Never really liked the setup, so I just used the board as a serving plate. I like the newer, plastic ones much better as you can remove them easily when storing the grill in the shed.

The board is decent, still have mine even though the kettle is long gone. The part about that setup I disliked was the angled support piece didn't allow you to put a cover on the kettle. Also made cleaning and general moving around of the kettle more awkward.

Back