Weber KETTLE ROTISSERIE 2290

Tom Rasmussen

I recently purchased a Weber Performer Deluxe

I saw the rotisserie option made by Weber and I also read posts that Weber made changes in 2012 and it should fit the performer deluxe correctly as well as normal kettles

If you own one so you like it ?

Do you have issues with getting the counterbalance set properly ?

Is it worth it ?

As long as you spit your product using a little common sense, the counterbalance is unnecessary. I have never used one on mine. I'm not even sure where it is, now that you mention it.
I must admit turned products are lots of fun and I have become kind of fond of starting a five pound chicken and going on to other things and not being much concerned about it. Once you get it, it will be tons of fun. Just do it. Just remember to orient the spit inline with the table or they sometimes don't fit besides, it makes access to the product more "interesting".
So yes, I like it.
And also, yes it is worth it!
I took an old carpenters wooden "tote box" and store all my rotisserie parts and supplies in that. The box is long enough to hold the it rod safely and there's enough room for the motor, extra spit forks, almost anything related to the method. I need to re arrange it a little so I have all the small grill "stuff" in there like the "A-Mazen" smoker tube, maverick tip top temp control, butcher twine, etc.
that might occupy half an hour tomorrow while I grill something, not spinning but, some fish sounds good.

Last edited:
I just bought a new kettle rotisserie about 2 weeks ago and it does not come with the counter balance.
Tom you will be happy with your purchase -

Whether or not a counterbalance is included, it's superfluous. Just get the product centered, and sufficiently "forked" and you shouldn't have any problems. The only time I had a problem was a loose fork screw and it worked a little loose, good gloves and a quick turn of the screw and, it was fine. Felt pretty stupid for making that simple mistake.
Clouding up outside and the temperature is dropping a bit, it might be time to sort out the "grilling tote" instead of watching crap TV!

Thanks for everyones feedback It sounds like a great investment for my performer deluxe

I do have one follow up question, I noticed the rotisserie appears to come in the color black, does anyone know if it comes in different colors ?

It is not a big deal but my performer deluxe is a different color other than black

I actually called Weber and they indicate it only comes in black which is fine, I told them they should offer cans of touch up spray paint so you could color match this option

No big deal either way. It will go onto my purchase list

I get the desire for color matching but, the first twirly bird you do will make you forget anything about that! Enjoy it the day it gets there!
On a side note, you can double stack a second grate on that rascal too! I drilled holes and set 1/4-20 short nuts and bolts in and use the old solid rack on the bottom and the "Gourmet grate" (removeable center) on top and can cook a TON on the old friend! Just a "Grillaholic" suggestion. Thirty pounds used last week on vacation with four nights away from the grill.
"Hi, I'm Tim and I'm a grillaholic"

I use the balancer always. Yes, I balance as best I can first but I always use the balancer for the finishing touch. Look in the motor and you will find a plastic gear. Its there for a reason. I just choose to not stress the motor as much as possible.

I actually called Weber and they indicate it only comes in black which is fine, I told them they should offer cans of touch up spray paint so you could color match this option

No big deal either way. It will go onto my purchase list

I would guess that the Weber ring is porcelain enameled steel (like the bowl & lid of your performer), so color matching it isn't as simple as spraying on some paint. You could look in the yellow pages for someplace that does powder-coating (some auto body shops or auto customizers or "hot rod" shops will do it) and they might be able to match your grill. You'd probably have to take the lid with you to find the right shade. And I'm not sure that powder-coating would stick to the porcelain enamel, but any place that offers the service will know for sure.

Incidentally, I just bought a rotisserie myself, but I got the Cajun Bandit version. First, I'm planning to upgrade to a 22.5 WSM in the next year, so I want to be able to use it on both my grill and the WSM. Second, I have an older Performer SS (Stainless Steel), so the Cajun Bandit rotisserie ring will fit right in.

Using my Weber Kettle rotisserie right now, for the second time.

I have used slightly less than a full chimney each time but I find that the fuel is used up a lot quicker with the Roti.

Currently doing a chicken. An hour and a quater in I have added some more briqs.

On a normal kettle cook the briqs do not burn so fast.

The roti ring is not a tight fit. I can only assume the gaps and the additional volume of the kettle + roti lead to it using more fuel.

Anyone else found this?

Re the balancer I can hear the sound of the motor change during each rotation as it loads and unloads due to the imbalance. I assume the quality of the motor is good enough not to suffer any damage.

Also the spit rotates with metal to metal contact on the edges of the roti ring. Does this ever cause a problem?

There has been issues with the motors. The plastic gear stripping is the main issue. I have found loose wires and signs of the gears siezing on the shafts. I take mine apart, lube everything incuding grease on the gear teeth. I just chose to pamper mine as they are not cheap and no parts for them. The rod contact areas are so small I doubt it is of any issue. You can always add a drop of veggy oil.

Back