Weber IPO

Weber announced the price range for their IPO the other day -- $15 to $17 a share.

500 million post-IPO shares roughly. So an $8.5B valuation at the top end of the range. Which is about 4X revenue and 21X EBITDA.

That is not a cheap price.

Also, the Traeger (symbol: COOK) IPO priced the other day at $18 and closed today at $22.21.

That's a $2.6B valuation, but priced at even higher multiples than Weber.

A lot of dough in making grills.

Well I jumped on the IPO train and bought a few shares. Let’s see what happens.
I see Weber just hit the stock market today , I can kick myself for missing out on Tim Hortons and Canada Goose IPO maybe Weber is a good play now. If you dont mind me asking Bradley what CDN brokerage did you go through .

Last edited:
I see Weber just hit the stock market today , I can kick myself for missing out on Tim Hortons and Canada Goose IPO maybe Weber is a good play now. If you dont mind me asking Bradley what CDN brokerage did you go through .
I use RBC Direct investing. (Once upon a time I used to work as an Advisor for RBC.)

So Weber's IPO wasn't as sizzling hot as they hoped it would be.

They reduced the size of the offering by 60% and then also priced the deal at $14, which was below the hoped for $15-17 range. So the implied company valuation was more like $5 billion rather than $8 billion. So a more reasonable value than before.

Traded up about 15-20% on the first day, which is nice but not crazy.

Remember how people used to buy 1 share of Playboy stock? I feel like I need a share of Weber.
I was gifted a semi-worn (for the articles) copy of the June, 1963 issue of Playboy. If I ever sell it I'll use the proceeds for a vintage 3-wheeler.

I have a "mad money" Fidelity account to buy small amounts of mainly small cap companies. There was $1,000 of cash left in it. Yesterday, I was sitting in a coffee shop and decided to blow it all on Weber stock at about $18.

It's now the biggest holding in my gambler's account, so y'all go buy some darned Weber products!

I hope Weber stock does better than the shrimp farm stock (SHMP) I bought, which has plunged more than 50% in the 6 months since I bought it. Y'all need to eat more shrimp, grilled on a Weber of course.

So Weber's IPO wasn't as sizzling hot as they hoped it would be.

They reduced the size of the offering by 60% and then also priced the deal at $14, which was below the hoped for $15-17 range. So the implied company valuation was more like $5 billion rather than $8 billion. So a more reasonable value than before.

Traded up about 15-20% on the first day, which is nice but not crazy.
Yes seems the market was more receptive to Traeger as they priced at the high end pretty good return on that one so far.

I picked up a couple shares yesterday just to own some. It's a small enough piece of my portfolio I could care less if it does well or not but I always like making money.
Remember how people used to buy 1 share of Playboy stock? I feel like I need a share of Weber.
When my father made his custom bar top he stuck his Playboy stock certificate in there where it sits to this day. Definitely a good conversation piece.

Back