Weber Gourmet Grilling System

Pat Barnes

TVWBB Pro
Got an email offer for no shipping on this "new" system. Anyone have any experience with it? I did a search and got on hits. Only one I might want is the wok. A cast iron skillet works as a grill pan for me.Thanks for any help.

For those of you that didn't get the Weber email check here.

It has me intrigued. I have been thinking about getting a wok from the kitchen supply store that would fully across the kettle. This one looks a bit on the small side.

It does being up a few questions for me though. Do you think the grate system is needed for proper heating? And how does the this compare in size to the old Weber wok?

Just brainstorming and seeing of its a good think to ask the GF to get me for Christmas.

Thanks for the feedback,Allan. I agree that the wok is on the small side. I never saw one of the old Weber woks. My daughter lives in Houston,Tx. and couldn't find one there! Don't know if they still make them or not. Considering the short cooking time for stir-fry is it worth the time to get coals ready? 20 minutes for a five minute cook.

For some this could be a nice system, although I agree with Pat that a CI skillet works just fine. Also, the searing grate I guess is for those that are challenged by the tricky diamond patterns. Just turn the meat twice on each side and you'll get a nice pattern. The wok has some merit in that the grate appears to hold the wok in place. It's after the cook that it may pose a problem. In the video, the wok is removed from the grill with the food still in it. Where do they place the wok once inside? Without a cooking ring, which is standard with a basic wok, the wok isn't stable.

Paul

personaly i really dont get this system.

First off if i wanna get the great sear marks on a nice thick steak,i will always grill it direct untill i get my marks then indirect to the perfect medium. and when i indirect i wanna have my steaks as far from the fire as i can,but with this system you will have to have a burning hot one in the middle of the grill.

Second any wok will make great food ONTOP of the grate.

Third a pan will...(read nr 2)

Get a cig and go get out and get a nice Wok/cast iron pan and there you go. better price and more utility.

My 2cents.

The Weber Gourmet System is presently $10 less for each item, than it is through Weber.com, on Amazon and with free shipping too.
Be sure to visit Amazon through the TVWBB link to credit Chris A, if purchasing!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wolgast:
personaly i really dont get this system.

First off if i wanna get the great sear marks on a nice thick steak,i will always grill it direct untill i get my marks then indirect to the perfect medium. and when i indirect i wanna have my steaks as far from the fire as i can,but with this system you will have to have a burning hot one in the middle of the grill.

Second any wok will make great food ONTOP of the grate.

Third a pan will...(read nr 2)

Get a cig and go get out and get a nice Wok/cast iron pan and there you go. better price and more utility.

My 2cents. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i agree with everything but the steak cooked to medium part!
icon_smile.gif
but i wouldn't mind just buying the cast iron part for killer sear marks.

It's kinda cool. But I'm not sure about the price. You're looking at $165-ish for all the pieces. A CIG will run $85, Wok, probably $50, and a skillet, another 30 (but if you have a CI pan, you can forgo the skillet). I think you'd have much more versatility buying pieces separately.

I like the concept. If you don't already have equipment that IMHO works as good or better.

That said, I prefer the full size SS Weber Wok.

The size of the CI grate in the set is kind of tiny IMHO. I Prefer the full size cast iron grates I've been using since they've been imported (cast-iron-grates.com) along with others.

I prefer the full size cast iron grate area rather than a small area in the middle. With the full size system I can move the coals where ever I want and cook direct/indirect in larger overall/useful configurations.

For a griddle, I have lots of cast iron pans of various sizes for that. They work fine direct on top of the CI or stock wire racks.

Given that I already have equipment that to me does it better or just as well, about the only item of interest would be the wire rack with the hole in the center. I could use that for the smaller wok I use indoors if I didn't want to use the full size and it looks like when using a cast iron pan I could use one that set down into the whole to get close to the coals if I needed to.

If you just bought your kettle and don't already have this stuff, then I suppose it might be a good set up perhaps.

It's good to see Weber coming out with useful accessories for the charcoal grills. I wish they would go back to offering stainless steel racks as an option.

Back