Weber Go Anywhere Pork Butt and Chuck Roast Cooks

Thanks Rich G and all for the positive comments. I did not come up with this setup on my own. A guy with the username Phubar, from the Netherlands, on another BBQ forum inspired me with his Go Anywhere cooks. Actually, there were a few forum posts a few years ago where him and his friends and family all brought their Go Anywhere charcoal grills to a park for an annual get-together. They cooked anything from appetizers to a couple of racks of lamb to dessert dishes. Since I was headed to Germany back in 2015, I figured I would have to do my cooks away from my apartment and in a park or other open space. Phubar's (and friends') Go Anywhere technique was the answer for my European dilemma.

To answer your questions, Rich G, here you go:

Length of the cook: I really didn't keep track. The meat was between 3-4 lbs. each, so I think total cook time was around 6-8 hours.

Charcoal lighting technique: Minion method, one Weber Lighter Cube or 4-5 charcoal briquettes lit in a charcoal chimney added to to as many briquettes I could fit in my homemade, expanded metal divider.

How often (if at all) you replenished charcoal: again, I didn't keep track. Probably 2-3 times with a handful (6-7) of briquettes. I just eyeballed the charcoal spent level, looked at the meat internal temp, and made a guess on if I needed to cook for 2-3 more hours. So, if I had to guess, replenish with 6-7 briquettes every 3 hours?

These Weber Go Anywhere cooks were low stress, fun cooks. With the vent settings, I think it stays in the 225-275 degree temp range. It's kind of like the WSM or Kettle, where it's a set-it and forget-it temperature consistency.
Very impressive cook. I just picked up a WGA for $15 without handles. Fixed the dampers that where falling off (missing washers), cleaned it up, now just need to get or make side handles. Wondering how often you had to rotate that meat around as I would guess it was quite a bit hotter on the right than the left sides of the grill. I got this to go on my porch with the Q as I am missing that charcoal flavor in the winter, as my kettle is by our detached garage.
Thanks
Joe

Jeffrey, those cooks are absolutely amazing. You killed it. Got me thinking about the WGA now...
Said it before and I'll say it again...you all are a big old bunch of enablers 🙂

Back