Weber Genisis Lid up or lid down

MurrayR

Haven't seen this discussed before.

When grilling steaks or burgers do you leave the lid down (creating a sort of oven atmosphere), or leave it open.

My wife says leave it open but I leave it down to create a more even heat.

For the last 30+ years I've always cooked with the hood up. Recently, with the purchase of my Genny, I've been cooking/smoking with the hood down. Even with the simple hamburger, I'd sear both sides (hood up) the cook it with indirect heat (hood down) for the remainder until done. Received many more compliments even from my family, who are totally familiar the my traditional hamburgers.

Murray, all I can say is experiment. With any new grill there's a learning curve to see what best works for you.

Enjoy the process,

elliot

Lid down whether on charcoal or gas. No need to let all that heat go, and less oxygen means reduced flare ups.

If you're lookin', you ain't cookin'!
icon_smile.gif

R

Another lid down with any good fuel (I don't think you'll get many "lid up"). Regardless of the fuel, you can add good smoky flavor by adding wood chunks in your grill. But you won't get much of anything with the lid up -- including heat.

Rich

Lid down while the steaks (thicker than an inch) approaches temp, Lid up during searing.

For chicken, lid down the whole time

Seafood & Burgers, lid up during the sear, then lid down while it cooks.

Here is a direct quote from "barbecuing the weber covered way"

“The Weber cover reflects heat for even cooking. The cover shortens cooking times and uses fuel more efficiently than any other barbecue method…"

Just saying...

I almost always do lid closed with everything cranked up. Steaks five to eight minutes total based on thickness. However, I still like the taste and texture of a good ribeye with the lid up just until it gets warmed through on med-hi after hitting it with the initial sear.

I don't have a gasser, and probably never will.
I have cooked on them fairly often (son-in-law is just the opposite).
The lid was created for a reason.
????? ????.

On my genesis I cook with the lid closed to maintain heat. On the performer I vary depending on the heat I want. With the lid off the heat is higher because of the increased air flow. The guys are right though that keeping the lid closed does reduce flair ups and give sort of an oven effect.
Just try it both ways and see what works best for you and the types of meat you like to grill.

Mike

Lid down unless I'm doing something weird like sauteeing mushrooms or something that requires the lid to be up. Otherwise, always down.

Lid down during the cooking, lid up during the searing.

I do the reverse sear, which works better since it's easier to let the coals heat up after the indirect cooking, than it is to cool the coals down after searing.

Back