Weber Genesis Silver Rehab?

TravisAlexander

Long time lurker first time poster.

I've been tired of my crappy grill for awhile and have been wanting a Weber. After reading the forum for a few weeks I think I want to rehab my own Weber grill but unsure of which models are worth the time.

I found this Genesis Silver on facebook's marketplace for $50 (the ad says only the ignitor is broken) and wanted to know if anyone here thinks there's a good reason not to try a rehab on this unit. I'm not in any hurry to get a grill so if I should keep looking that's what I'll do. Thank in advance for anyone who has the time to help me out with their opinion.

Weber 1.jpgWeber 2.jpg

That's a pretty popular grill for rehabbing, The Genesis Silver B, 3 burner series, and pretty durable. $50 and under is a pretty normal price range for picking up a grill like that.

Parts are pretty easy to come by, and you can get a new igniter for $8-15.

- I don't see any rust on the frame from the pictures
- It's a cast iron grill (not stamped), and I really enjoyed my cast iron grill when I had it. Good for steaks. After heating up the grill and a good brush, the rust spots will come off, you just have to oil them after using them.
- The flavorizer bars (FB's) are porcelain, and look like they are rusted in the middle (or could just be caked on grease). You could either clean up the FB and extend the life a little bit, or just get new FB's

So if you thinking of rehabbing, that's a pretty solid candidate, and easy to do.

Pretty easy grill to work on. Replace the burners, and flavors bars with stainless steel ones from Amazon. Also swap on some stainless steel rod grates and you have a nice cooker. There are quite a few replacement parts on sale right now on Amazon. You don't have to buy Weber branded ones, the knock off brands are actually pretty good.

If all you are looking for is a good grill to cook on, then that grill is a nice one. If you care about the color, you might wait and keep checking to see if a red or blue lid grill pops up.

Those are my favorite Weber to work on. Easy to work on and parts are available.

There is no down-side from what I see in the photos. You could use it as is and sell it for $50 if you find something you like more

Can't go wrong for a first time rehab with a silver, easy to do and parts are readily available. Along with a lot of great advice and help if you need it from the pro rehabbers here on the forum.

That's in great shape. Not a fan of the centered thermometer. But for 50 bucks, it's a solid deal for a grill in great shape.

bam! just finished my rehab. 14 year old genesis silver

Attachments

• IMG_20200922_163402.jpg
    IMG_20200922_163402.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_20200922_163145.jpg
    IMG_20200922_163145.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_20200922_162853.jpg
    IMG_20200922_162853.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 40
Seriously??? Wow. That is cool. Was it tough getting the knobs to line up and be at the correct level?

Nice job! That is very unique for sure and I also wonder about the knob line up. How about the heat build up inside the cabinet too I wonder?

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone for their comments/help. I installed a new ignition switch and new flavorizer bars, and I have to say I love the grill! It's so much better than my last POS.

Thanks again for the help.

Excellent purchase Travis. You now have a taste of why we love these old Weber Grills so much. "Happy Grilling!"

Back