Weber Genesis Silver Rehab and a Lesson About Paint

Scott-ManThings

Hey guys, I'm a newbie to the forum. I have been following for information but decided to get an account and post a few things. I caught the "sickness" really quickly after I bought my first Weber Genesis Silver off Craigslist for $30. I now have 7 in my possession but I'm happy to say that I stayed loyal to my first and she is my own every day griller.

I just got done rehabbing a Black Genesis Silver that I picked up for $20 with a tank. Only thing it was missing was a side table. The grates and flavorizer bars were in such good shape that I cleaned and reused.

My lesson here was with painting the lid...I know, I know...bad mistake. I got some Ultimate High Heat spray paint and thought it would make it look a whole lot better...WRONG. I absolutely hated the finish it left when I was done painting. Thankfully I was able to save it with a $5 can of miracle spray...GOOF OFF. This stuff was a life saver...I just sprayed it on and wiped it off with some blue shop towels and then cleaned the lid with simple green and celebrated. Looked so much better than the painted lid. Needless to say, I will never be doing that again.

Only thing I have left to do is protect and stain the side table. I know I'll probably get scolded but I did flip this one. Bought for $20 with a tank, only money I put into it was $10.99 igniter, $7 wasted paint, and $5 for the goof off. I listed it on Facebook Marketplace and it sold for $200 in less than an hour. I absolutely love the restoration part and there is no doubt I will keep a couple of my favorites once I'm done, but I won't lie and say that the extra money is nice.

Here are some before and after pics...Let me know if they show up...I've been seeing that people have issues with seeing pictures, not sure if I'm doing it the right way. Let me know if they don't show up. Thanks a lot.

Welcome ! Lesson learned and it didn't cost you too much. No worries about catching grief here for flipping. Most of the active members here in the gasser forum do it all the time. Nothing wrong with it at all.

Great job on the flip. THat is awesome. One thing I might caution you on with that custom wood table is that it needs to have a significant gap between it and the cook box. Otherwise you might have the fire department show up. It looks like you have it pretty close to the firebox.

Scott how did you anchor the side table wood? Did you screw it into the metal frame?

Great job on the flip. THat is awesome. One thing I might caution you on with that custom wood table is that it needs to have a significant gap between it and the cook box. Otherwise you might have the fire department show up. It looks like you have it pretty close to the firebox.

Thanks Bruce. I thought about the side table being wood, but searching online, I found so many tables, especially ones built directly around and surrounding weber Charcoal grills, that I didn't think much of the table being wood. There is about an inch gap between the cook box and the side table. Hopefully it is not an issue.

Scott how did you anchor the side table wood? Did you screw it into the metal frame?

Hey Greg, I actually didn't secure it at all. I built it so that it sits perfectly in the metal housing. I figured, it would be nice to remove it to clean it or replace it, etc. There is very little play in the table whatsoever, maybe 1/16 of an inch. I used 3/4 inch wood so the runners on the bottom make it very secure. It won't be popping out on anyone.

Scott, I think an inch will be fine. It looked much closer in the photo.

That is how I thought I might go ahead and rehab a Genny 1000 if the Z brackets were missing or rusted too bad. Same thing could easily be done for the bottom shelf.

That is how I thought I might go ahead and rehab a Genny 1000 if the Z brackets were missing or rusted too bad. Same thing could easily be done for the bottom shelf.

Ya, Bruce, you totally could. I went relatively cheap with the side table. I got a 1x6x8 piece of quality pine ($4 from menards) and I cut it to length, then ripped 2 pieces to make 4 total slats. Each slat was about 2.7 inches. I spaced them with some scrap wood pieces then I just attached the runners on the bottom of the slats. I had to make that pretty specific so that it would fit perfectly without too much play. There were some bolt nuts on the frame, so i had to factor that in. It was pretty simple with a little attention to detail. I still have enough pine to make another table if I need to. Now that I’ve done it and feel comfortable, I’d perobably use cedar next time. Just a little more durable.

Hey Greg, I actually didn't secure it at all. I built it so that it sits perfectly in the metal housing. I figured, it would be nice to remove it to clean it or replace it, etc. There is very little play in the table whatsoever, maybe 1/16 of an inch. I used 3/4 inch wood so the runners on the bottom make it very secure. It won't be popping out on anyone.

Very nice.

Back