Weber Genesis silver / gold - Manifold is stuck after trying to clean it?

It is kind of deceiving but you are better off going by grill temp than flame height in determining how well your grill is performing. Flame height and heating performance are not necessarily the same. As far as I know, any genesis Gold/Silver manifold is interchangeable. However, you do not want to start swaping valves and stuff between the two manifolds unless you are sure they are identical. Weber seems to have sourced their valves from different manufacturers and those manufacturers didn't necessarily use the exact same design on their valves. If you want to try swapping in a valve, just make sure it is identical to the other two existing valves on that manifold. The valves usually have markings on the exterior that you can use to help make sure they match the others.

The Silver B / C and Gold B are the same output. They are all 12,000 BTU per burner.

The valve turning amount looks the same for the 8146 as is on the 8128. I believe it was the older CPs and valves that had less rotation. The Silver C looks like it is a 2004 or 2005 with the black table end pieces.

I agree with Bruce on swapping valves. if you change one, change them all so they match, or better yet stay with the entire manifold.

If you don't want the side burner, you should be able to cap off the port on the manifold if you don't trust the quick connect.

cleaned it, put it back in another port, and the problem seems to travel w/ the cone valve.... could there be some tolerance issue where I just need to back the screws out and allow this thing to wiggle a little bit ? or would that pose a safety issue? i dont' think i can find an individual cone valve replacement at this point. I also updated the original post to add some more context to my situation.
Just curious if you tried the suspect cone in all three locations.

The Silver B / C and Gold B are the same output. They are all 12,000 BTU per burner.

The valve turning amount looks the same for the 8146 as is on the 8128. I believe it was the older CPs and valves that had less rotation. The Silver C looks like it is a 2004 or 2005 with the black table end pieces.

I agree with Bruce on swapping valves. if you change one, change them all so they match, or better yet stay with the entire manifold.

If you don't want the side burner, you should be able to cap off the port on the manifold if you don't trust the quick connect.
I definitely wouldn't mind the side burner, i've never had a grill with one before would have no idea what to use it for haha.

<-- This is with the original gold manifold. the one with the busted valve. it's the far one that i didnt turn on till later in the video, with the screws "backed out" a smidge. The flames are much bigger, but the center burner seems a little uneven and has orange tips.

<-- with the manifold from the trash picked silver w/ side burner. notice that the flame struggles to turn on. and once they are on, some times they struggle to stay on.

all this was done in a garage w/ open garage door btw.

First, Stop using the bad valve with it not being tight. Fire hazard big time.
Second, burner tubes look kinda bad. Hard to tell, but some holes look too big and others look like they have merged with each other.
Third: In that second video, the flames should not be lifting off as they do. This is commonly caused by the air shutters being blocked or not adjusted correctly.

You're definitely not getting good gas flow from that manifold. I would guess either bad regulator, you could swap the one off the bad manifold to check, or you put too much grease in the valves and now have a blockage.

Simple thing to check first is the air shutters. Generally they should be about 1/4" open, but if you adjust them while the burner is lit, you will see the change in the flame and if you can get the flame back on the burner, then you have the solution to that problem. Then try other steps.

You're definitely not getting good gas flow from that manifold. I would guess either bad regulator, you could swap the one off the bad manifold to check, or you put too much grease in the valves and now have a blockage.
I am actually using the same regulator for both sets of manifolds. The regulator from the trashed silver wouldn't even allow me to light the grill up. I have a brand new one from Amazon coming tomorrow.

Keep us posted. How much are they getting for new manifolds these days? Does it come with the valves?

Simple thing to check first is the air shutters. Generally they should be about 1/4" open, but if you adjust them while the burner is lit, you will see the change in the flame and if you can get the flame back on the burner, then you have the solution to that problem. Then try other steps.
I think this is it right here... too tired and about to go to bed but i went out to the garage real quick and messed around w/ the air shutters with the silver manifold (the one that isn't a fire hazard) and it seems to turn on much better, and much more uniform. i'll need to tweak it more tomorrow after work. interesting that the shutters vary depending on your manifold. but it's safe to say you're not dealing with 100% similar manifolds on 20 year old grills that have unknown history, much like used cars i guess!

do you have any pointers on what the flame should look like while adjusting, besides, uniform and blue? tall/short?

I think this is it right here... too tired and about to go to bed but i went out to the garage real quick and messed around w/ the air shutters with the silver manifold (the one that isn't a fire hazard) and it seems to turn on much better, and much more uniform. i'll need to tweak it more tomorrow after work. interesting that the shutters vary depending on your manifold. but it's safe to say you're not dealing with 100% similar manifolds on 20 year old grills that have unknown history, much like used cars i guess!

do you have any pointers on what the flame should look like while adjusting, besides, uniform and blue? tall/short?
here's a pic of what I think looks pretty good.

This is a Genesis 1000 not a Silver, but very much the same type of burners and valves. 20220419_230023.jpg

So, did playing around with the shutters fix your problem? Interesting because that's usually the last thing it could be unless the previous owner was trying to adjust them and messed it up somehow.

So, did playing around with the shutters fix your problem? Interesting because that's usually the last thing it could be unless the previous owner was trying to adjust them and messed it up somehow.
Yes it definitely did. The shutter adjustment for the original manifold and from the donor manifold were slightly off. I'll post another video to show how the flames look like with the donor manifold and adjusted shutters later today.

I think that front burner needs a bit of adjusting. Flames a bit high and too much yellow. It looks like your back two burner shutters are about half and the front one is a bit more closed. You see the higher flames and yellow tips after it has been burning for 30 seconds or so.

Better for sure, but I think Bruce is right on that front burner. It sounds like you live near a shooting range btw.

Better for sure, but I think Bruce is right on that front burner. It sounds like you live near a shooting range btw.

Tweaking the front burner a little more as i write this. And yes i live down the street from an outdoor shooting range. It's pretty nice. Not many where i live in my area.
Need to be a member to get in so it's relatively quiet for using except on public events and then it's mobbed.
my neighbor is a member, so i go with him occasionally when he goes so i get to reap the benefits.

Tweaking the front burner a little more as i write this. And yes i live down the street from an outdoor shooting range. It's pretty nice. Not many where i live in my area.
Need to be a member to get in so it's relatively quiet for using except on public events and then it's mobbed.
my neighbor is a member, so i go with him occasionally when he goes so i get to reap the benefits.
Pretty cool, I would be a member too!

Be aware what you see on your flames will be different once the grease tray is on and flavo bars are installed along with lid closed. One reason why I typically don't recommend fiddling with factory adjustment (as long as you KNOW it's factory adjustment).

Back