Weber Genesis Silver C Rehab

Frank Conard

I just found a rather nice Genesis Silver C natural gas on CL for $60.00. I plan to replace my Silver A with

this beauty after a thorough rehab.

All in all this grill isn't in bad shape. It has cast iron grates and porcelain flavor bars both of which show a little rust.

Burners were in good shape but the crossover tube crumbled into a pile of dust when I took out the burners. The warming grate and basket were both too rusty to save so I ordered new ones along with the crossover.

As you can see it had an after market lighted handle which was shot thru with rust and leaky batteries. I got lucky and found a brand new one at a flea market for $12.00. I'll have to reuse the Weber brackets from the old one but they're in good shape and I'll clean them to hopefully look like new.

The manifold mounting bolts were stainless and came right out. The single mounting bolt on the other side of the firebox snapped off it was so rusty.

My plan is to clean then sandblast the the interior,drip tray and any exterior corrosion then paint the exterior and top side panels.

Many thanks to the contributors of how to hints and procedures your information has and will save me much time and elbow grease.......

I'll post my progress with pics as I move along and again thanks for the help.

Made a little more progress today. Tried my hand at sand blasting. I went to Harbor Freight and purchased a sand blaster , respirator, face shield, gloves and 50lbs of play sand total cost $46.88
It has been an interesting experience to say the least, I have sand in my hair, ears, pockets and other places....I'll put up before and after pics before after sandblasting

All told I have a little over an hour invested in sandblasting and it was well worth it. The exterior cleaned up beautifully As you can see the corrosion around the lighting hole is now gone. All the loose paint and surface marks are now gone and the surface is nice and smooth.

The only negative to sandblasting is it's messy. More to come as I progress and thanks for the comments and suggestions

Last edited:
Great find Frank; and great photos.

I always enjoy the rehab threads and hope to do this myself someday, so please keep us up to date.

-Tom in SoCal

Done a few refurbs on Bs and 1000s myself it's a lot of fun to bring an oldie back to like new. Parts are getting a little expensive now, but still cheaper than buying a new one.

As a fellow rehabber myself, I enjoy seeing others doing the same. If you need new casters, Home Depot has them for 5 bucks. :)

Nice job Frank. Can you tell me a little more about the sand blaster you got from Harbor Freight ?

Dave the sandblaster I got from harbor freight is a portable unit capable of holding 50lbs of medium. It's really a spot blaster,but as you can see it did a good job on the aluminum casting. Here's a link http://www.harborfreight.com/portable-abrasive-blaster-kit-37025.html
Remember you need a respirator ,face shield ,gloves and some kind of medium. I got 50lbs of kiln dried screened play sand from Home Depot for $3.40. Hope this helps

Thanks for the link Frank. It seems that one other thing I would also need is a compressor :)

Weber Rehab

I finally got a chance to work on my Silver C. The firebox and end panels cleaned up perfectly with my sand blaster. A can of Rustoleum High Heat black and both areas look like new. To my surprise the catch pan was enameled steel not aluminum like my Silver A and a couple of coats of oven cleaner left it looking brand new.

Not so good was the drip pan holder. It was heavily rusted, almost rusted through in a couple of spots. A very careful wire brushing and then painting will have to do until my new bracket arrives at Home Depot.

The Hood cleaned up well with grease away and OOOO steel wool. I did notice a small spot where the black enamel has crazed on the front of the hood. It hasn't shown any rust yet ,but I may check with Weber customer service and see if it's still under warranty.

I had a new ignitor kit lying around and it happened to be the correct type (snap in). I haven't messed with the side burner ignitor but have a feeling I can make it work with just cleaning the contacts and tip.

The cart was in great shape, only 3 small rust spots at the joints on the main frame. Wire brushing and a coat of Rustolem enamel and its good to go. I did have one problem that was driving me crazy. The firebox mounting bolt was rusted / corroded to the fire box. It had broken off when I tried to remove it leaving a 1/4'" stem. No amount of PB Blaster and hammer persuasion were working. Time out for a smoke and an adult libation produced an ingenious idea...drill a new hole along side the old one through the firebox and the frame....DUH. 5 minutes later the firebox was secured.

Ok time for some accounting:
C/L cost for the grill $60.00
Replacement parts. cross over tube, warming tray, hanging tray $38.00
Ignitor Kit $10.00
Paint, steel wool, degreaser, oven cleaner and play sand $14.00
______
Grand Total $122.00

Not to bad for a grill that cost over $500.00 new

I promise to show pictures of the finished project very soon. I can see where this could become habit forming as I have spotted another natural gas silver c for $50.00 on C/L.....:eek:

Here are the pictures as promised: Painting and clean up turned out well. Lookin good. here's the spalling on the porcelain cover. Note the bolt I added to secure the firebox.

I still have all the thermo plastic to clean and I have a new chef's light handle I got at a yard sale for $10.00. All in all this has been a fun project.

Last edited:

Back