Weber Genesis 3 Red refurb complete........almost!!

Paul Warner

TVWBB Super Fan
Hi all, finally completed the refurb of the Genesis 3 i picked up last year. Complete strip down and repaint of frame, sandblasted firebox and repainted with black stove paint. New Weber burners, New SS Weber GBS grates, new...ish Weber 13x flavour bars, new igniters for main box and side burner, sanded and lacquered wooden slats. New hose and push on regulator. Finished off with new trims on the OG wheels. Due for sale but not sure i can!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0869.jpg
    IMG_0869.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0867.jpg
    IMG_0867.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0850.jpg
    IMG_0850.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0870.jpg
    IMG_0870.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0871.jpg
    IMG_0871.jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0842 Copy.jpg
    IMG_0842 Copy.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0843.jpg
    IMG_0843.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0845.jpg
    IMG_0845.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0846.jpg
    IMG_0846.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0847.jpg
    IMG_0847.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0848 Copy.jpg
    IMG_0848 Copy.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0849.jpg
    IMG_0849.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0872.jpg
    IMG_0872.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0746.jpg
    IMG_0746.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 28
I hesitate to ask the question and think the work done here is fantastic, but at the risk of being “that guy”, why do so many of these grills wind up with a solid handle instead of the slots as I believe it would have originally had? Is it because solids are still available to buy? Lack of tooling to router the slots? Or do people really like the solid look better? I just can’t seem to get a handle on it (pun intended)....

I am no woodworker at all. I do think that replicating what Weber did requires some definite skill, some decent tools, and creating some kind of jig. I had a friend - who has a whole shop full of tools - make me some. He thought it was going to be easy but found it to be challenging. I was thrilled to get the ones he made, but he was kind of downcast about how they came out.

I guess I would say that making replicas of the original design is not a simple undertaking.

I am no woodworker at all. I do think that replicating what Weber did requires some definite skill, some decent tools, and creating some kind of jig. I had a friend - who has a whole shop full of tools - make me some. He thought it was going to be easy but found it to be challenging. I was thrilled to get the ones he made, but he was kind of downcast about how they came out.

I guess I would say that making replicas of the original design is not a simple undertaking.
Thank you for the informed response. Woodworking is not in my repertoire in terms of tooling and talent both so I have to hire it out. My guy has never said anything about it being easy, difficult, or somewhere in between but now I’ll know enough to ask the question next time we talk. Thanks again.

Yes. I made a handle for my Genesis 1000 with a hand router. The cuts came out OK, but clearly not professional by any means. It does take special skill and tools to fab up an exact duplicate handle. Most people just buy a board or cut one down that is close to the correct dimensions and skip the cut outs. It is just so much simply....maybe a little more durable as well.

I hesitate to ask the question and think the work done here is fantastic, but at the risk of being “that guy”, why do so many of these grills wind up with a solid handle instead of the slots as I believe it would have originally had? Is it because solids are still available to buy? Lack of tooling to router the slots? Or do people really like the solid look better? I just can’t seem to get a handle on it (pun intended)....
Hi, Thanks for the positive feedback. The aim always is to restore to "new" condition. I have sold many Genesis's previously and made a few pennies but this one is to a higher standard. Probably a total spend of £400 but i am happy with the result and have no passion for new gas grills, no character!.

The handle, yes id prefer an authentic handle but i dont have tooling/skills to deliver this. The one fitted is $20 and i prefer but would have original style if someone can make for me!!!

I don't think not having the original handle takes away from a beautiful restore like Paul's. I ended up doing a few grooves with a table saw on the handle that I did it was not my idea got it from a guy on the WKC who did a nice restore on a gasser.

Attachments

• W6N9gnv.jpg
    W6N9gnv.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 25
I don't think not having the original handle takes away from a beautiful restore like Paul's. I ended up doing a few grooves with a table saw on the handle that I did it was not my idea got it from a guy on the WKC who did a nice restore on a gasser.
What a great alternative / mid-point between the solid and the slot. I like the grooved look.

Hi all, finally completed the refurb of the Genesis 3 i picked up last year. Complete strip down and repaint of frame, sandblasted firebox and repainted with black stove paint. New Weber burners, New SS Weber GBS grates, new...ish Weber 13x flavour bars, new igniters for main box and side burner, sanded and lacquered wooden slats. New hose and push on regulator. Finished off with new trims on the OG wheels. Due for sale but not sure i can!!!
It looks very nice Paul!

Like it very much! Congrats on a sharp restore. I love to see these great old Webers spared from the landfill and instead given a new lease on life. They will easily outdo any of the tin junk that will be out front of the big box stores this spring.

Paul (or anyone else who may have a source)...where do you get the wheel trims? I’m waiting on 4 sets from a seller whose 3D printer is currently down. I may need a Plan B.

Back