Weber Genesis 1100?

Kev K

About 2 years ago, Mom bought a cheap POS gasser from Lowes or someplace. It's literally falling apart, and I'm looking for a decent replacement for her. I came across a Weber Genesis 1100 for sale ('98, 3 burner, red lid, wood shelves and handle, stacked/crossed flavorizer bars). From the pictures, it appears to be in amazing condition for its age. Seller doesn't indicate if it's been refurbed or not, aside from flavorizer bars being replaced a year ago.

Is there anything in particular to look out for/be wary of on this model? Are their any benefits (or drawbacks) to the stacked/crossed flavorizer bars as opposed to newer models with a single layer of bars?

Thanks!

Welcome Kev.

The 13 bar genesis is a great grill.

Replacement burners, grates and Flav bars are avail, so if the are in good shape that's good, but if not, replacements are avail.

You'll want to look for rust. Check the slide out bottom pan and the frame. There are no replacements avail for the bottom pan so check it out well.

The left side upper cross bar often rusts, yet it can be repaired.

Another thing to look for is a warped cookbox. If there's a grease fire it can bow the front and then the cooking grates don't span properly.

I'm sure there is more to look for

Last edited:
Hey Kev, you don't mention price but if it appears to be in great shape it probably is. Those were probably the best grills Weber ever made in terms of durability. Unless there has been a horrific grease fire that has warped or caused holes in the firebox, you probably have a winner there. I have owned one since '98 myself and can't recommend them highly enough.

The above mentioned info is spot on. Especially the key areas to look for. If you have some photos or maybe the on-line listing you could share, that would help a lot.
The wood shelves may need replacement which is doable but requires some wood working skills. Check for excessive rust on the "Z" bars that hold the wood shelves together. Surface rust is OK, but if they are too bad, you might need to find replacements.
Also, give the cook box a look as best you can for holes. Typically they occur along where the flavorizer bars sit and if the cook box is full of gunk, it will be hard to see them. It is rare for this to be a problem, but does occur.
You can still buy some parts new for these grills, but there is a lot of them out there and finding donor grills is also a viable solution as well.

Thanks everyone for the info. Asking price is $150. It's listed as "used - like new" and it looks pretty dang nice in the pics. All the wood looks clean and solid (and not gray), firebox is clean, there's a pic of all burners producing clean and uniform blue flames, even the printing on the control panel is in perfect condition. The seller states that the frame has "little to no rust" and doesn't wobble at all. I'm hoping to lay eyes on it this week if it doesn't sell before I can get there.

Thanks everyone for the info. Asking price is $150. It's listed as "used - like new" and it looks pretty dang nice in the pics. All the wood looks clean and solid (and not gray), firebox is clean, there's a pic of all burners producing clean and uniform blue flames, even the printing on the control panel is in perfect condition. The seller states that the frame has "little to no rust" and doesn't wobble at all. I'm hoping to lay eyes on it this week if it doesn't sell before I can get there.
At that price if the flavorizer bars, grates and burners are good that is a very good price hard to rehab one for much less. The bars are pricey so hopefully they are good.

$150 is a little pricey to me for a 20+ year old grill, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't pay that much if it were really in nice shape. One of the most important things on these is the condition of the control panel and the slide out grease pan. The control panel (where the knobs are) can become rusty along the edges and become extremely faded from the sun. The grease tray can develop holes in it. The problem here is that you can't buy either one of those parts new anymore. Surface rust on the frame is normal and really nothing to worry about,the steel is really thick on those frames. If you want any further advice, I would suggest posting the listing on the grill so we can give a better opinion. 😉

I still haven't made it down to see it - it's a little over an hour south of me and life has been a little unpredictable this week. Hope to make it this weekend. Here's the listing...Thanks.

I still haven't made it down to see it - it's a little over an hour south of me and life has been a little unpredictable this week. Hope to make it this weekend. Here's the listing...Thanks.

Since $150 doesn’t buy much these days seems ok to me. Drip pan and control panel look solid. The rest looks in good shape

You never know about people though. This guy has been trying to sell this one for over a year so I made him a lower offer that he wouldn't accept. If he would come down to $50 I would go get it.Screenshot_20220812-190137_OfferUp.jpg

Hang tight. You will likely find a better one for a better price before he comes down anyway.
The only thing about that one that caught my eye was the darker red lid. I just keep an eye on it in my normal course of looking.

OK, I am colorblind and didn't realize that was the lid color. Kinda looks like a dk gray to me.

I overlooked that, too. I think it is that "brick red"" color. If you wanted it for yourself, then his price is worth it. I don't think as a flip that very many - if any at all - buyers would notice the rarity of that color. So, if that is your goal, just hold tight or wait for another.
I like it! :coolkettle:

After thinking things over and being honest with myself, I've realized the reason this grill appeals to me is because... I want it for myself. :rolleyes:

While it would look great on my back porch next to my '99 SSP, my 72 year-old mother doesn't need any potential hassles with a 23 year-old grill on her back porch. I doubt there would be any, but with me being 2.5 hours away I think she'd be better served with something else. I'm going to pick up a new Weber or Napoleon for her. It'll probably be a Genesis simply due to familiarity and local availability.

Thanks everyone for the input and information.

Back