Weber Genesis 1,2, and 3

HeatherHeslin

TVWBB Member
Can anyone tell me the differences in a Genesis 1 and Genesis 2 and Genesis 3? We have recently gotten a Genesis 2 Redhead and we have been researching and can't find anywhere that describes the differences. We are wanting to restore the grill and are looking for original parts. We need the swing table and the hardware for the table. Would anyone have insight where we could find that?
Thanks!

Attachments

• weber1.jpg
    weber1.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 32
  • weber2.jpg
    weber2.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 29
Basically the cart and inclusion of a side burner on the model 3(xxx). The 1 has a smaller cart, the 2 a larger cart and flip up table the 3 same as the 2 except for the side burner

I've a question about the Genesis 1. Since it came with a full tank of gas that can't be used with any other grill, figured I'd fire it up to cook a couple of hotdogs. There were 5 flavorizer bars rather than 13. Noticed that the 5 were the same dimensions as the lower 5 on the 1000 box. Tried to load a set of 13 and there was space but there were no spacers for the upper bars.

What's going on here? The brochure indicates there are supposed to be 13 bars but the box doesn't seem designed for it.

They my BBQParts grates on, as the stamped ones are seriously grody. Just a quick swing around the park in the runabout.

IMG_20220301_223007.jpg

I've a question about the Genesis 1. Since it came with a full tank of gas that can't be used with any other grill, figured I'd fire it up to cook a couple of hotdogs. There were 5 flavorizer bars rather than 13. Noticed that the 5 were the same dimensions as the lower 5 on the 1000 box. Tried to load a set of 13 and there was space but there were no spacers for the upper bars.

What's going on here? The brochure indicates there are supposed to be 13 bars but the box doesn't seem designed for it.

They my BBQParts grates on, as the stamped ones are seriously grody. Just a quick swing around the park in the runabout.

View attachment 46357
It's probably not the original cookbox if it doesn't have the spacers for the upper flavorizer bars. Weber did make five bar grills that were essentially the same dimensions as a Genesis 1000, or Genesis 1 in your case.

It's probably not the original cookbox if it doesn't have the spacers for the upper flavorizer bars. Weber did make five bar grills that were essentially the same dimensions as a Genesis 1000, or Genesis 1 in your case.
How can I find out more about the five-bar grill? It's got to be that since the bar length is the same as for the five lower bars on the 1000 series. The Silver's bars are of different dimensions.

It's likely not Genesis 1. If it has the weird push to click LP hose it's later than the 1. More likely something I think was called a 900.

Thanks fellas. Just found this thread on the 900:

Seems to be the grill I have. For one thing, the shelves are painted. In my case, an ugly green. Figured that was something done by the owner but maybe it came from Weber this way. Perhaps they experimented with various ways of preserving wood planks before going to durawood and, later, plastic. Albeit their industrial color (like a water tower), they do seem to have held up well.

If it were a Genesis 1, I'd be more inclined to add it to my collection. But given my limited deck space and, really, how many gas grills does a guy need?, I've decided to fix this one up a bit and pass it along. Not to like-new condition, as it's not worth the effort. Just enough for it to be a good working grill. Honestly, it's already that. Ran good and hot last night. Nice even burn across all three tubes.

View attachment 46357
1646245642845.png

It looks like the control panel number is 8101.

my 2000 Genesis Silver B (DD date code) that I've had since new has the same control panel.

I'm wondering what else might be in common between the 900 and the Silver B.

@Roy-Parallax would you do me a favor and measure the inside distance between the left and right legs?

I'm curious if it is 24 inches like a 1000 or 23 1/8 inches like a silver B.

View attachment 46361

It looks like the control panel number is 8101.

my 2000 Genesis Silver B (DD date code) that I've had since new has the same control panel.

I'm wondering what else might be in common between the 900 and the Silver B.

@Roy-Parallax would you do me a favor and measure the inside distance between the left and right legs?

I'm curious if it is 24 inches like a 1000 or 23 1/8 inches like a silver B.
23 1/8. That's interesting. Seems this was an intermediate grill in which they were trying out and refining new dimensions and ideas.

Yes, I don't know a lot about it, but I believe the 900 was a lower cost entry and the first where Weber tried going from 13 bars to just 5. But this firebox is not the same as the later Silver/Gold/Platinum 5 bar box.

Yes, I don't know a lot about it, but I believe the 900 was a lower cost entry and the first where Weber tried going from 13 bars to just 5. But this firebox is not the same as the later Silver/Gold/Platinum 5 bar box.
Exactly. Very similar to the 1000 box but just five bars. It works fine. Cooked up some steaks on it tonight and the result was all but identical to the Platinum. Heats up fast. Nice even burn. But I no longer have any desire to keep this one.

Exactly. Very similar to the 1000 box but just five bars. It works fine. Cooked up some steaks on it tonight and the result was all but identical to the Platinum. Heats up fast. Nice even burn. But I no longer have any desire to keep this one.
All weber grills cook well. The grill you have is somewhat unique in the fact that it's nothing special and there aren't a real lot of them around as it wasn't a popular model to begin with.

All weber grills cook well. The grill you have is somewhat unique in the fact that it's nothing special and there aren't a real lot of them around as it wasn't a popular model to begin with.
That's kind of funny. A rare find. A treasure. Because no one wanted it.

Back