Weber Gas Grill Catching Fire!!

Lund.Nels

My Weber Genesis is catching on fire under the front grill knob. The front grill spitters and sputters here and there when its on and lit. Should I replace the flame tube things or the regulator that controls the gas into that flame tube. Any help would be awesome. I miss cooking on my grill without it catching on FIRE!!

Thanks!

Hi Lund
I agree with Chris. I'd pull out the flavor bars and grates. Then remove the burner tubes. Give the firebox a good cleaning.
If needed you could use some sandpaper to clean the burner tubes. Also make sure you listen to hear if any debris got inside the tubes, if so then remove it.

Sounds like you have some sort of gas flow issue.

Odds are the burner tubes are blocked and filthy. You can clean them if you know what you're doing. But, (please don't take this the wrong way) judging from your question perhaps better off to simply replace the burners and give everything else a good scrape down and cleaning

I agree, burner tubes probably are clogged up. But, take a look under the control panel and find where that tube comes out of the cook box. Find the end of it, where the valve goes into it. Make sure the valve is still seated inside the end of the tube like the other two. That is likely the point of your fire. It could be the tube being plugged and backing up the propane or it could be the valve just isn't sealed inside the tube.
Post us some pictures.

One grill I bought to flip did the same thing. The burners looked great, but when I removed them they seemed a little heavy. They were full of like a fine sand, have no idea how they got that way. Took awhile but I was able to get the sand out of them and the grill was fine after that.

My apologies to everyone for being lame...I'm not sure how to post pictures on here? I tried to drag and drop pictures into the text box but I guess that doesn't work. I took the burners out of it and cleaned up the fire box and its still catching fire. I'll clean the burners and check for spiders. Do the knobs that regulate heat/gas ever fail? If I the front burner turned up ready to light, it takes a multiple attempts to light with a lighter and flickers at best when its lit, the second and third burners run fine when all three are lit. I might just break down and get a new set of burners for it.

The grill sat maybe two weeks between uses when it started acting like this.

I am not positive, but I believe you can swap the front and rear burners on that grill. YOu could try that and see if the problem moves to the back burner. If so, then you know the problem is with the burner. If the problem stays with the front burner after the swap, then you would want to consider the Valve being broken, clogged, damaged or worn out in some way.

Sounds like your front burner has junk inside. Remove all the tubes, see if one feels heavier than the others. If so then you need to clean out the inside of that tube, not just the outside.

So now I am confused. Is it a sidewinder or a NS unit? Lund send me a private message. I will shoot you back an email. Email the photos you have to me and I will post the photos here for you

Back