Weber E6 Kamado….ArborFab charcoal basket for the win!

tell them I'm in for one
I bit the bullet and just placed my order. Couldn't figure out where to add the extra 25 ( 25 and another 25ish shipping).
This will bring me a bit closer to my KJ experience (Also have BJ deflectors, extra classic grate, a BJ half moon grate and my classic soap stone. Throw in my slow n sear for my 22 WSM and I'm pretty set on versatility.
Giving me what I really liked about the KJ III experience with what I think are advantages in the Webber.

Received mine today (ordered on May 16 so a little over 3 weeks from order to delivery). The basket is 5" high as ordered, but 15 1/4" diameter measured one direction and 15" in diameter measured the opposite direction along the handle (I ordered 15 3/8" diameter as per the OP). It seems to fit perfectly when the handle is "horizontal" as the rods from the middle grate/diffuser support ring fit right in the notches of the basket but doesn't fit perfectly the other direction (this is when placed directly on the bottom charcoal grate support with the charcoal grate removed). I also think I could have ordered it a little wider (maybe 1/2"-1" wider) as there is room. All in all no complaints (and my tape measure could be inaccurate)-just giving the facts for those considering ordering one. Total cost was $107 for the custom build + $24.54 FedEx ground shipping to North Texas = $131.54 total.

Will be trying it out tomorrow night on an overnight brisket cIMG_20220609_113901.jpgIMG_20220609_113345.jpgIMG_20220609_113156.jpgIMG_20220609_113145.jpgIMG_20220609_113120.jpgook and will let you know the results.

what temp are you targeting for the overnight? looks like a very nice fab you got made. please share your results when you have some to post. i'm doing an overnight, Sat night into Sun AM. i'm shooting for 225-250, oak chunks below briqs (either B&B KPro, whatever i have in my garage).

Received mine today as well. Didn't measure but looks great to me. Just cooked some ribs then opened vents for some chickens thighs.
So far, so good.

And no, I did not fill. Knew I'd only be cooking 5hrs or so.

Attachments

• 20220609_124224.jpg
    20220609_124224.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 22
what temp are you targeting for the overnight? looks like a very nice fab you got made. please share your results when you have some to post. i'm doing an overnight, Sat night into Sun AM. i'm shooting for 225-250, oak chunks below briqs (either B&B KPro, whatever i have in my garage).
Hey Brett. I use B&B Hickory lump with pecan and oak chunks. I set the temp to 225 degrees using my Fireboard and cook overnight for about 12 hours. Then I wrap and increase the temp to 250 until it's probe tender (usually a few hours more)Screenshot (36).png. Here's the graph from my last one.

Successful overnight cook with the basket. Look how tightly the WSK and Fireboard held the temp at 225 degrees overnight as I slept like a baby. Wrapped about 12 hours in and increased temp to 250. It was probe tender a few hours after that. Kept the grill going and did some chicken thighs this afternoon. Finally shut it down after 18+ hours. Given the amount of charcoal left in the basket it probably would have kept going for at least 24 hours if not longer. Now I need to get an ash bucket with a 15" top diameter :).Screenshot (1).pngIMG_20220611_130123.jpgIMG_20220611_130156.jpgIMG_20220611_175517.jpg

Very nice basket, but kinda spendy. Makes my repurposed WSM 18 charcoal ring look pretty ghetto. I need to sell my WSM's so will need to put the charcoal ring back in to sell, so may be in the market for one. Maybe the price of the basket will come down if they decide to produce them.

Just got my custom ArborFab WSM charcoal grate. Ordered a basket 15” 3/8 x 5” tall and it fits perfect! This will work quite nicely. I believe my upgrades are complete for the moment. Will be using ceramic half moons for heat deflectors when needed (don’t really care for the Weber diffuser as it holds liquids to a point). The basket rests on the four tabs in the bottom of the kamado.
Man that looks nice..... I only have 1 week with my Kamado and the first thing I noticed was like it would be nice to have a basket in there to pull out all the coals after a cook and not have to be scooping them up by hand. I wonder if they can built a basket with a slanted wall that follows the edge of the Kamado to accommodate more lump coal.

Back