Weber Customer Service - WSM 18

ChristopherC

TVWBB Super Fan
So, I have had my WSM for a few weeks and recently emailed Weber about a couple issues...

1) My aluminum door came really bent up. I fixed it best I could, and it barely leaks, but still has a small gap at the top. Also noticed a drip where the handle meets the door at the front. See pics below.

2) The bulls in thermometer is WAY OFF (about 50-70d difference from probed temps at the top grate level. Also it is filled with condensation and all foggy inside and hard to read sometimes. See pic below.

I am assuming these are common issues?

Regardless, got an email yesterday that these 2 items had been shipped out! Didn't get any explanation or response email, but nonetheless stuff was sent no questions asked. I appreciate that level of service.

Still might get a larger 3rd party thermometer...as a frill because I don't use it that much with the probes... and whatever with the door as it still does a great job cooking.

wsm-door-gap.jpg

wsm-door-handle-leak.jpg

wsm-condensation-thermometer.jpg

That's great service from Weber. Nothing wrong with that for sure. For what it's worth, I wouldn't worry too much about the door and the drip issue. Your new door will probably do the same thing. Just get the new door conformed to the smoker body as best you can, and let er rip.

My WSM has drips down the door as well. It has not affected the performance one bit.

I had the same issue with the 18.5 thermometer. The first time I used it was with water in the water pan. Sent a message to Weber and they did the same thing. Sent me a new one that arrived a few days later. The condensation took a week to dry up in the old one and still works fine. Can’t beat the customer service.

WSM is not a precision product. It's not meant to be air-tight, smoke-tight, water-tight, etc. People sometimes want it to be those things, but it's not designed or sold to be that.

Your door looks pretty good to me. The issue of fit is only a problem if you have trouble controlling cooker temp or cannot extinguish the fire when all vents are closed.

Nothing to be done about the drip from the door handle. It's not watertight. You just clean it occasionally if it bothers you.

Many people complain about the stock thermometer. It's not high quality, but it should not fog up inside. As I posted in your other thread, a high quality aftermarket lid therm can more accurately track top grate temp. You might consider this option. This is a mod I would do on my own grill; I would make the hole larger and install a Tel-Tru BQ300.

Installing A Thermometer: https://www.virtualweberbullet.com/installing-thermometer/

Give the door a wipe while the WSM is hot.. Use a wet towel. It will steam the gunk off. Same goes for the top daisy wheel. The gunk just wipes right off. Be careful though.. steam and skin don't play well together. Proceed with caution.

As Chris said it’s really not meant to be air tight especially when brand new. My door wasn’t great but if you play with it enough you can get it pretty well conformed, after that you just need a few cooks and everything will have a nice coating to seal on up

Received the new door and thermometer. Not sure if I will use the door anytime soon since it has the exact same gap as the other previous one on the left side. Also my cooks have been good so far. Not much leaks thru the door despite the gap. Debating on whether to bother with the thermometer as I heard condensation and fogging up and being a much different temp than the actual is the norm. Might just save both as backups.

Received the new door and thermometer. Not sure if I will use the door anytime soon since it has the exact same gap as the other previous one on the left side. Also my cooks have been good so far. Not much leaks thru the door despite the gap. Debating on whether to bother with the thermometer as I heard condensation and fogging up and being a much different temp than the actual is the norm. Might just save both as backups.
The stock door is basically doubled up aluminum foil, go for a better aftermarket door like the Cajun bandit

Back