Weber Connect vs ThermoWorks

OliverLeveritt

TVWBB Member
I'm gonna upgrade my 2-burner Weber Spirit in the near future. I like the grill, but I can't get my big 17" cast iron pan in there, and I can't close the lid on some of my other big pieces. I like to do a lot of "dirty work" and big stuff on the grill instead of in the house.
I think I'll jump up to the Weber Genesis E-435 Natural Gas. It has the Weber Crafted framework to allow the use of lots of different cook/grill ware. Adding Weber CONNECT Smart Technology bumps the price $450, and adds Stainless Steel and NightVision. Stainless is nice, but I don't crave it. All my other Weber is black.
I already have Smoke & Gateway as well as Signals. I can buy more Thermoworks stuff for a lot less than $450 if I feel that I need more stuff, but the Smoke covers ambient temp + 1 meat probe or two meat probes. I can monitor all sorts of stuff with the Signals.
Does anyone really use the Weber Smart stuff? Am I missing anything by not having it and using Thermoworks instead if I want a managed cook?

I don't have anything that uses an App. I had a Maverick for years and only upgraded to a Smoke because I though the Maverick was going south. turned out just a bad probe. I do like the range of the smoke though. Don't really need any more bells and whistles than that.

I'm gonna upgrade my 2-burner Weber Spirit in the near future. I like the grill, but I can't get my big 17" cast iron pan in there, and I can't close the lid on some of my other big pieces. I like to do a lot of "dirty work" and big stuff on the grill instead of in the house.
I think I'll jump up to the Weber Genesis E-435 Natural Gas. It has the Weber Crafted framework to allow the use of lots of different cook/grill ware. Adding Weber CONNECT Smart Technology bumps the price $450, and adds Stainless Steel and NightVision. Stainless is nice, but I don't crave it. All my other Weber is black.
I already have Smoke & Gateway as well as Signals. I can buy more Thermoworks stuff for a lot less than $450 if I feel that I need more stuff, but the Smoke covers ambient temp + 1 meat probe or two meat probes. I can monitor all sorts of stuff with the Signals.
Does anyone really use the Weber Smart stuff? Am I missing anything by not having it and using Thermoworks instead if I want a managed cook?
IDK what more than a Signals one could need. Maybe a few Signals for a few grills/cookers?

I'd spend the money elsewhere.

$450 is a lot on top of an already expensive E435
I can get a new Weber Genesis E-335 NG grill and a new 30" gas range for the patio for about the same money as the E-435. If I have the gas range, I don't need as big a grill, based on my usage and cooking practices.
If I find a suitable used grill and used stove, I've got gravy.
I may have just found the most workable solution for the furtherance of my outdoor cooking.

Last edited:
Sear just fine without one.
I know I can sear without a sear zone. I can sear on my griddle, too. Your definition of "just fine" may differ from mine. I want a sear zone on my grill so that I can deep sear LOTS of meat (8-10 lbs of chuck) in a big 17" cast iron pan with the grill lid down before I throw it in the slow cooker. I want a sear zone because it makes things faster and easier. A sear zone allows me to rapidly ramp that area of the grill without having to turn up the burner(s) on the other end and gives me a higher concentration of heat and flame right there in the sear zone -- very quickly.

I think the “extra” sear burner falls into that category of “to each his own.” I had a first year Genesis 330 that I bought specifically because of that (new at the time) feature. When Weber came out with the Genesis II, the sear burner disappeared with Weber trying to promote an extra boost in the LX versions that was supposed to take its place, I guess. Apparently that didn’t go over well because it wasn’t long before the sear burner returned and was even added to models like your Spirit. The newest Genesis even gives it extra attention with a bright red control knob.

I can only say I enjoyed my sear burner. That grill finally needed an overhaul and has been in pieces for years in my overflowing parts bin. I have recently started trying to bring it back to life. More on that later…

Apparently that didn’t go over well because it wasn’t long before the sear burner returned and was even added to models like your Spirit. The newest Genesis even gives it extra attention with a bright red control knob.
Because the low priced products had features like that and people fell for it. Or at least Weber felt they did. So "keep up with the Joneses"

I am sure that market pressure from low price competitors was very real for Weber (still is), but I also think they got feedback from Genesis 300 owners looking to trade-up who, like me, did enjoy the extra sear burner and were sorry to see it disappear.

I am not saying the sear burner is some incredible improvement, but I agree with Oliver at least to the extent that it has its merits. I think you and I would, agree, however that a more powerful grill - like your Wolf or even the passed down to me from you 1st generation Summit - doesn't really need a sear burner.

I think the larger size Genesis grills since the 300 series went to front controls may struggle a little with just 3 front-to-back (N-S) burners. A fourth burner, whether sear or otherwise, is a welcome addition from my experience with my Genesis 330. I have noticed that Ace is still trying to unload some new, but last generation, Genesis II grills that do not have the sear burner. While I am not really looking for a new grill, I definitely would NOT buy a Genesis II (new or used) that didn't have the 4th sear burner.

On a less large grill like a Spirit, the "extra" burner should make for a very hot zone, although I wonder whether Weber throttled back the burners on those.

I am sure that market pressure from low price competitors was very real for Weber (still is), but I also think they got feedback from Genesis 300 owners looking to trade-up who, like me, did enjoy the extra sear burner and were sorry to see it disappear.

I am not saying the sear burner is some incredible improvement, but I agree with Oliver at least to the extent that it has its merits. I think you and I would, agree, however that a more powerful grill - like your Wolf or even the passed down to me from you 1st generation Summit - doesn't really need a sear burner.

I think the larger size Genesis grills since the 300 series went to front controls may struggle a little with just 3 front-to-back (N-S) burners. A fourth burner, whether sear or otherwise, is a welcome addition from my experience with my Genesis 330. I have noticed that Ace is still trying to unload some new, but last generation, Genesis II grills that do not have the sear burner. While I am not really looking for a new grill, I definitely would NOT buy a Genesis II (new or used) that didn't have the 4th sear burner.

On a less large grill like a Spirit, the "extra" burner should make for a very hot zone, although I wonder whether Weber throttled back the burners on those.
Summits do need the sear burner. Without one, Summits are just large grills. Nothing special. Nothing more. Just IMO. Only reason I owned a Summit was sq inches and sear. Only reason I’m selling my Summit gasser is WSK produces a better cook, every time. Again, IMO.

Back