Weber Chimney Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve B from NY

Anybody know how many Kingsford briquettes fit in a full weber chimney...I know when it is full it is about 9 lbs, but wondering how many ( actual number) of briquettes this is....somebody must have counted, right?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve B from NY:
Anybody know how many Kingsford briquettes fit in a full weber chimney...I know when it is full it is about 9 lbs, but wondering how many ( actual number) of briquettes this is....somebody must have counted, right? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Interesting question. Why don't you count them and get back to us?
icon_wink.gif

Steve, it all depends on if the briquettes were formed in the winter or summer. Shrinkage you know. I also hear that the briquette formers from Tennissee make theirs a little smaller, that way when you count out how many are in your 20 lb bag you feel like you got a good deal.

Wow! Tough crowd here.

If I google "how many briquettes in a pound" the second link takes me to http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/charcoal.html which I've heard is a reputable site.
icon_wink.gif
On that page they have a picture of a pound of briquettes with the count at 18. So if the chimney holds 9 pounds, that would be about 160 briquettes. Sounds high to me but I found other references that seem to corroborate that. However without citations, there is no way to know if these are all based on the same original source.

I don't know the exact amount Steve, but when I run 1/3 of a Weber chimney in the smokey Joe, that is 35 briquets. So a full one should be right around 100-120. And welcome to the site.

Steve B,

You're a man after my own heart.
icon_smile.gif
I have counted out Kingsford in a Weber chimney several times. You will find the answer on this page, second paragraph:

How To Use A Chimney Starter

Approx. 100 briquettes, or 6 pounds of Kingsford.

Regards,
Chris

doesn't it depend on which brand you are using? I like the Sam's Club briquettes because they are bigger than some of the others

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tim leo:
doesn't it depend on which brand you are using? I like the Sam's Club briquettes because they are bigger than some of the others </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Probably. Most of these #'s are likely using the ubiquitous Kingsford Blue briquettes. I think that rough estimates of volume is the best way to go if one wants to measure and for some applications it really doesn't matter that much at all.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lew:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve B from NY:
Anybody know how many Kingsford briquettes fit in a full weber chimney...I know when it is full it is about 9 lbs, but wondering how many ( actual number) of briquettes this is....somebody must have counted, right? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Interesting question. Why don't you count them and get back to us?
icon_wink.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i was hoping somebody else already had, but I'll do it

will post results soon

I'd do it, but I don't like getting my fingers dirty.
icon_biggrin.gif

Somehow, I can't see that a few coals more or less (or even 10 or 20 more or less) will make a tremendous lot of difference. But that's just me...

Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back