Weber Chimney for WSM question on how much ash

Jeff Padell

TVWBB Pro
I thought I have always heard that when using the chimney to start the briquettes that I should let them all ash over, so they are covered with a coating of ash before putting them in the WSM.

Looking at the turkey instructions Chris put out it shows the chimney flames coming out of the top of the chimney and the coals at top just getting "edged" with grey.

I have seen that once the top coals are totally grey the bottom ones fall apart, overdone.

thoughts?

I use lump and basically have the same issue: the bottom is further along than the top. James and I agree -- it's just cooking -- close enough for me is when flames are shooting out the top, it's burning clean and the top charcoal is catching around the edges.

If grilling, I pour some of the lit in one charcoal basket, then hit the other, then back to the first. I figure that kind of evens it out.

If smoking, I just dump it on top of the unlit.

Another vote for "close enough"... as long as you pour carefully you'll have the fully lit coals on top and that seems to take care of any "startup stink" you might otherwise get from the partially lit briquettes on the bottom. Same idea as Minion method, I guess...

I am going with the crowd here and saying close enough. A lot of times the bottom side of the top layer gets ashed but the top takes longer. I usually do it until there is no more smoke coming out of the chimney and the top has some grey edges.

Back