Weber Charcoals.

Eric Enoc

TVWBB Member
Hi.

Im new here. But after reading a whole lot on the forum, ive noticed that it seems like no one uses Webers charcoal?

I got my new WSM 22 today. And here in sweden we have a pretty limited choice of charcoales. I use Weber charcoals in my kettle and think i works good. But is it all wrong using it in the WSM?

// Eric

Good morning Eric!
Using Weber's brand of charcoal is completely fine.
I have not seen Weber's charcoal in the local stores, Kingsford is the brand that fills the shelves around these parts.
Fire it up and have fun grillin'/smokin'!

Eric i use "skogens kol/briketter" sold by lidl cheap 10kg briquettes for 79kr or "scandinavian"
sold by citygross 10kg for 99kr.

Works like a charm...webers coals is 120kr/10kg and what i´w read they are really good but i dont have a local supplier were i live.

I even think "granngården" have some decent coals that they sell for a good price.

And as i stated in another thread tell me if you find some cheap coals. The kilo price doesent sound that mutch of a differ but in a year thats some hard erned cash.

Okey!

What ive learned from using my kettle is that Webers coal burns much longer, when im doing a long grill.

Ive tried skogens and landmans briks. But on the kettle webers coals are outstanding in terms of how long the burntime is.

So ill maybe give skogens briks another chance since the price i better.

Thanx.

How long have you had your WSM

Well.. Weber brikkettes here also.

I have the same experience that the weber coals burn longer than some local sold coal brands.

gtz steven

So you dont have weber charcoals in the US? In Sweden its caled weber charcoal heat beads. And if im not wrong theres a brand of coals thats called just heat beads. And they are made in Australia.

Interesting.

No "Weber Charcoal" in the US.

Doing a bit of Googling, I do find a Heat Beads brand of charcoal that is indeed Australian.

But I also cannot find any Weber branded Charcoal or Brikkettes. Anyone got a link?

They are available at least in Norway, Sweden and Denmark. The reputation is, er, far less than excellent..

Translated from danish, the english comes out a bit strange, but it's understandable.
icon_smile.gif

http://translate.google.com/tr...92%23p129992&act=url

Originally posted by TravisH:
Interesting.

No "Weber Charcoal" in the US.

Doing a bit of Googling, I do find a Heat Beads brand of charcoal that is indeed Australian.

But I also cannot find any Weber branded Charcoal or Brikkettes. Anyone got a link?

Yes heatbeads is a well known and trusted brand of Briquette charcoal that comes in 4kg, 7kg & 10 kg bags and it the brand that i use in the performer as well as the WSM.
Weber Australia had recently contracted to a charcoal making business in Victoria by the name of Kookaburra (aboriginal name for a native bird) Charcoal and it is mainly river redgum woods that are native to Australia like most of our woods, redgum is a eucalyptus variety of tree. I've tried it and it gets pretty darn hot but because lump isn't easily available here in Australia till recently, I've not become accustomed to use it as I've been so used to heatbeads...but I intend of giving it another try soon..once i get a job...not much cooking going on lately
icon_frown.gif

Cheers

Davo

weber heat beads burn hotter, longer. But all testing on webers is generally done with kingsford charcoal.

After reading the manual for my WSM i noticed that on one page it stood that weber heat beads shouldnt be used in the WSM.

The other day i found out why.

Since the heat beads are so hard. They wont fire up if you are not using a chimney. The other day when my WSM was runing a bit low on charcoals i added a couple of heat beads on the almost burnt out regular charcoals. Couple of hours i checked back and the WSM was stone cold, with the unlit weber heat beads lying unlit on top.

My first thought was simply that the coals in the WSM simply wasnt hot enough to light the heat beads.

Yesterday i was fireing up the WSM again. Using the minion method. Set up the WSM with a full ring of heat beads. Started 30 heatbeads in the chimney. Added them to the ring when they were fully lit.

Checked the WSM after 2 hours. The lit heatbeads were almost all burned out. The unlit ones wasnt near getting hot.

Just so you know.

// Eric

Weber supply briquettes here in the uk, not the heat bead variety. Did a 13lb pork shoulder at the weekend off a single ring full lit minion method. Got 18 hours at 220 out of them with no top up or fiddling with vents. I find them very lon lasting in the wsm and the heat tends to remain constant throughout the cook

Back