Weber Charcoal Chimney

When my son was in Scouts, we were to go on an outing. You all know the motto "Be Prepared". The Scout Master had all the kids open up newspaper rip them into strips about 3" wide, The roll them up and tie them off with some string. After the kids got all the logs done, we took a old tin coffee can put it on a electric hot plate, put a box of paraffin wax in to the can and let it melt. Using a pair of tongs the kids put their little paper logs in to the can, left them in for a minute or so and pulled them out. Placed them on a cookie sheet to dry. They make excellent fire starters and we used them for the outing. Now to the point of my story, I've been using them for years to start my charcoal. I put a couple of pieces of news paper in the bottom of my chimney, light the paraffin log and set the chimney on top of it. works great. In two hours you can make enough logs to last you a couple of years. They even work when it's damp!

Another old backpacker trick uses cotton balls, petroleum jelly, and 35mm film canisters. Liberally coat a cotton ball in petroleum jelly (i.e. Vaseline) and stuff it into the film canister. Repeat until canister is full. When you want to start a fire, use one or two of these little balls and you're good-to-go. Honestly, I've yet to try this since I've been using a paste firestarter product. But when that runs out, I plan to try it on my next outing (which is sadly next spring).

I would guess the reason that you don't get any noticeable smell or taste on your food from the starter cubes is because it is gone before you put the charcoal into the cooker or grill. And it is such a small amount to start with.

With lighter fluid it is soaking into the charcoal and probably stays in the filler and binder material until much later in the burning process.

And have you ever seen anybody use a LITTLE lighter fluid?

I gave my father a chimney starter for Christmas. The last time I talked to him, I asked how he liked it. "It's great. I just have to use a little lighter fluid than before."
Oh boy...I of course had to explain the whole purpose of using it.

Paper towel with cooking oil on it works swell (and since you're lubricating your grates before putting the meat on, you've got this thing handy, right?)

Or tear off part of the Kingsford bag. Fires up great!

Thanks for the info on starter cubes. I hate the mess with newspaper ash all over the place. I will try some cubes next time.

Ray

I wish Weber made a 1/2 size version of their charcoal chimney. The quality and how much better it starts charcoal is unbelievable. But it is just too big when only wanting to lit 12 -16 chucks of Kingsford for the Menion Method.

WEBER... MAKE ME A SMALLER ONE!!!!

Now there's a thought. I'll try that. Thanks, Morgan.

I've actually thought of modifying my smaller 'off brand' starter (that I hate) to be more like the weber. Using some wire screen to form the conical bottom to let more air get to the charcoal.

It would just be easier (for me) if they made a smaller version in addition to the large on.

I have never seen the weber starter. Is it that much bigger than the brinkman I have? Even the brinkman is bigger than I have needed, but that may change when my One touch gold gets here.
I usually stick 1 or 2 chunks of Hickory or squite in mine to get then going when I use them while getting my 12 briquettes going. They seem to take a little more time to get started then the fruit woods I use.

Tried something new the other day. Didn't have newsprint on hand, so I tore off a piece of Charcoal bag and used it. The heavy duty paper burned nice & clean. Very little paper ash at all (much less than with newsprint) . One empty bag is good for 4-5 starts.

I have to come down on the side favoring newpaper as opposed to any accellerent i.e. parafin. I really don't want to risk any residual gunk on my dinner.
BTW, when I was in college, about 35 years ago, one of the guys I shared a house w/ was an engineering student and made a sort of proto-type chimney out of a 3 lb. coffer can. The top and bottom were removed and he took a beer opener-yes we used to need one of these- and went along the bottom of the can w/ triagular punches. He would put it on the grill w/ paper under it and light it. A real revelation-I only wished I would have pattened it. I remember he made the analogy of a blast furnace to light it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Darrell:
Tried something new the other day. Didn't have newsprint on hand, so I tore off a piece of Charcoal bag and used it. The heavy duty paper burned nice & clean. Very little paper ash at all (much less than with newsprint) . One empty bag is good for 4-5 starts. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You know some of the best ideas are the simplest ones. Why didn't I think of it. I tried this method last smoke and it worked great. One added bonus was much less "burning paper" smell.

I used the side burner on the Weber Summit today to light the chimney for the first time. I took off the metal ring and placed the chimney right over the burner on high. Five minutes later I moved the chimney to the charcoal grate and let it finish burning off there before pouring into baskets. Out of curiosity, do you think this will damage the enamel on the side burner?

I've always used either my side burner on the gasser (only thing the gasser is used for), or my turkey fryer burner thingy (technical term). Works great. Just put it there for 5 minutes or so, and then move it to the charcoal grate.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Susan Z:
Paper towel with cooking oil on it works swell (and since you're lubricating your grates before putting the meat on, you've got this thing handy, right?)

Or tear off part of the Kingsford bag. Fires up great! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I tried the paper towel and oil. Works great with very little ash.

Back