Weber Cedar Plank

Richard Garcia

TVWBB All-Star
Any of you grilled some salmon Steaks on this plank? How many times can the plank be used again? Need to Pre-soak?

Attachments

• 2C7B8DDC-5594-42D6-8D4D-4933B08A93F8.jpeg
    2C7B8DDC-5594-42D6-8D4D-4933B08A93F8.jpeg
    158.3 KB · Views: 5
I haven't done salmon but I did use them for meatloaf on a plank. The first one I soaked and probably could have used again, and that was a longer cook than you'd do for fish. The second one I did not soak and it was annihilated. Alligator char on the bottom for sure. And I could swear the one I soaked imparted more wood flavor into the meat. Not sure why. Have you ever seen or used the thinner cedar wraps for fish? I like those a lot.

Cedar plank salmon filets are terrific. Soak the plank for several hours and cook indirect (charcoal baskets in a kettle work perfectly). You can season or top the salmon with whatever you like (our fave is Dijon and brown sugar ). Cook 18 or so minutes at around 350 lid temp to 125 internal. The plank helps keep the fish moist and it cooks more evenly. Pair it with a light Pinot Noir. I use a plank 6 or 7 times, or until it‘s too charred on the edges. Soak it after cooking and it cleans up well.
Jeff

If you really like that stuff ( I'm allergic to Cedar) go online and buy untreated food grade Cedar Shakes.
You'll save a tone of money!

Cedar plank salmon filets are terrific. Soak the plank for several hours and cook indirect (charcoal baskets in a kettle work perfectly). You can season or top the salmon with whatever you like (our fave is Dijon and brown sugar ). Cook 18 or so minutes at around 350 lid temp to 125 internal. The plank helps keep the fish moist and it cooks more evenly. Pair it with a light Pinot Noir. I use a plank 6 or 7 times, or until it‘s too charred on the edges. Soak it after cooking and it cleans up well.
Jeff
Jeff: Thanx for the excellent tips and thanx to the other Forum Members that replied to this thread.

Last edited:
Jeff
Jeff; When I opened the Weber Plank Package the following instructions are in the inside cover as follows:

1. Soak plank for at least one(1) hour.
2. Preheat the grill on direct high heat for approximately 10-15 minutes.
3. Char the Plank by placing it on the cooking grate for approximately 5-7 minutes.
4. Flip the plank over. Adjust the temperature according to the recipe.
5. Place food on the plank and close the lid.

I think the above Weber Instructions are for using the Plank on a Gas Grill??? I plan to use this on my Weber Performer Deluxe this afternoon using your very clear instructions. Thanx

Rick

Jeff; When I opened the Weber Plank Package the following instructions are in the inside cover as follows:

1. Soak plank for at least one(1) hour.
2. Preheat the grill on direct high heat for approximately 10-15 minutes.
3. Char the Plank by placing it on the cooking grate for approximately 5-7 minutes.
4. Flip the plank over. Adjust the temperature according to the recipe.
5. Place food on the plank and close the lid.

I think the above Weber Instructions are for using the Plank on a Gas Grill??? I plan to use this on my Weber Performer Deluxe this afternoon using your very clear instructions. Thanx

Rick
Rick, I cooked a 5" wide x 5"long salmon filet on Friday night -- I usually split the filet down the middle into two separate pieces before putting it in the kettle (Performer). It was cooking a bit unevenly, so I took it off and split it, rearranging it on the plank so that the less-done parts were closer to the fire. Came out fine. One thing we don't like is overdone salmon, so the plank has been our go-to cooking method. Cook it to 125° and it's always moist and tasty.

Jeff

Back