Weber briquettes new packing

Bradley Mack

TVWBB Super Fan
Looks like the reusable, resealable bag is out. Paper is in. Notice the very apparent ridge in the centre of the briquette.

IMG_0286.jpeg

Must be entirely new.......so it's like a new brand of charcoal and it could be less good.......
I mean they stopped sales of the briquettes in the US right and now this is new so maybe they can make money on it?????
I still have a bag of the original ones at home......might get a new one and post the difference up here....but I think there is still tons of the older style for sale in my area.....could be a while.

This really makes me think it's Royal Oak which is the theory we had all along. Royal Oak Chef Select used to not have the ridge. Now it does but it actually has for years now.

They’re still readily sole here in Canada. The bag I have is the older stuff with no ridge. This just makes me think even more that this is just rebranded Royal Oak.

Darryl,
that would really be cool if you could post a review.
My skeptical self thinks they found a cheaper product to put their name on.
That's what I was trying to imply. Something they could now make money on.
Everyone loved the old product.....then why would they take it away.....
Weber bricks cost a fair amount up here......they do the job pretty good and leave tons of ash.

The reality is that very few loved the old product until it was taken away. They were great, but expensive in the time of the Lowes and Home Depot KBB sales. Suddenly everyone started dumping off the Weber at sales prices when it was being discontinued and then everyone discovered it and loved it. You also later had the disappearance of the great KBB sales. I've still got a bag stashed away. I think if they reintroduced it now people would go for it. After the KBB sales stopped a lot of people suddenly started looking elsewhere when KBB was no longer a no brainer.

I live right across from Vancouver Island.
I’m wondering if they still have the old style Weber Briquettes there?
It would be kinda cool to try those out and compare them to Kingsford Blue.

I've always heard how great they were but have never tried them.
Hopefully they are affordable.

Just checked my local go to charcoal retailer.....
Old Weber bricks are still available and they are showing the new product as out of stock.
The new product is looking like $2.00 more per bag over the current bag.
20 lb bags......it's a bit rich if you ask me....and why change something that wasn't broken?

1707397016700.png

1707397028533.png

Picked up a few bags on my last order…..
I can get into them soon if needs be. Are these for sale in the US at all?

Attachments

• IMG_1010.jpeg
    IMG_1010.jpeg
    203.1 KB · Views: 10
The reality is that very few loved the old product until it was taken away. They were great, but expensive in the time of the Lowes and Home Depot KBB sales. Suddenly everyone started dumping off the Weber at sales prices when it was being discontinued and then everyone discovered it and loved it. You also later had the disappearance of the great KBB sales. I've still got a bag stashed away. I think if they reintroduced it now people would go for it. After the KBB sales stopped a lot of people suddenly started looking elsewhere when KBB was no longer a no brainer.
I couldn't agree more with your comments, I still have about a dozen or so bags that I purchased from HD probably in 2018/2019, for less then $5 a bag.

Working on using up 3 different kinds of briquettes.....I don't use them very often.

Jealous Devil 20 pounds left
Weber original 30 pounds left
New Weber 40 pounds just received

I should be into something for this Friday hopefully, with the Good Friday off work I was considering cooking up a pork shoulder or something like that......maybe a pulled beef?
If I do I can open up a new bag and get some side by sides if you want to see them.
I am sure however they perform just the same as the rest.

I found 6 or 7 small bags of the Weber briquettes on the clearance rack at a HD I was doing my CS work at 3-4 years ago for $2 each!
Yes, I snagged up each and every one of them and put it in my truck!
It was a great size to take camping! I got about 2 1/2 mini chimney fulls out of each bag IIRC

I don't need ridges I don't like ridges. Small briquettes with ridges are designed to burn fast and hot for grilling. More surface area. That's not what we do we smoke we need long and slow... And the big pillow shaped briquettes are best imo.

I disagree with the earlier comment... People always liked Weber charcoal because it was good stuff... The briquettes were all big and full and well made and did not break apart in little pieces as they cooked. . It was just unfortunately also $20 a bag which was ridiculous compared to cheaper brands that were more like $8. That alone eliminated 90% of the people from even considering to buy it. I tried another all natural one time that did not use enough binder and it crumbled as soon as it got hot into basically dust..... Not enough binder.... You have to have starch binder to make briquettes.... And enough compaction pressure etc.

Yeah, of course when they put it on clearance for $4 people bought the hell out of it....

Ive been pretty happy with cowboy natural since I started using it. Big pillow shaped briquettes and no stupid ridges. Only a matter of time till it gets discontinued I'm sure

Last edited:
I really liked the original weber briq. Were they more expensive than the rest. Sure but they burned hot, long and clean. Didn`t stink on light up. When I`m looking for a cut of meat I don`t buy the cheapest meat I can find. Buy a good cut. Your taking the time to prepare and cook the food you need a good clean fire which I thought Weber briq provided. Stubbs was another quality briq. Sadly neither are available any more.

I really liked the original weber briq. Were they more expensive than the rest. Sure but they burned hot, long and clean. Didn`t stink on light up. When I`m looking for a cut of meat I don`t buy the cheapest meat I can find. Buy a good cut. Your taking the time to prepare and cook the food you need a good clean fire which I thought Weber briq provided. Stubbs was another quality briq. Sadly neither are available any more.
Stubbs was the same thing as cowboy all-natural...... It was manufactured by Cowboy charcoal. They changed the name and transitioned their retailers to the cowboy brand in 2019. Which is what I use today Walmart carries it. So does tractor supply sometimes. Cowboy charcoal was purchased by duraflame and it's one of their products. They were probably paying some kind of licensing to use the stubbs name and decided to drop it....just branding

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-04-15-20-34-52-780.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-04-15-20-34-52-780.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Back